Pirates Get 3-1 Victory Over Devils
Lowell, MA - The Pirates took a 3-1 win over the Lowell Devils at Tsongas Arena as Jhonas Enroth stopped 35 shots in the win. Mathieu Darche scored a pair of goals for Portland.
The Pirates got on the board late in the first period with a power play goal by Mathieu Darche. The veteran tallied his 25th goal of the season off a point shot from Mike Kostka that was deflected and bounced loose in the crease. Darche poked it home at 17:01 of the first period. Kostka and Colin Murphy picked up assists and the Pirates took a 1-0 lead out of the first period. In the second period the Pirates were outshot 19-6, but Jhonas Enroth turned aside all 19 Devils shots. The rookie goaltender helped Portland carry a 1-0 lead into the third period despite being outshot 28-17 through the first two periods.
The Devils came out strong in the third period and tied the game as Tyler Eckford's point shot was deflected past Enroth by Pascal Rheaume. The goal came at 3:13 of the third with Eckford and Vladimir Zharkov picking up assists. The Pirates struck back just over a minute later as Scott Clemmensen deflected the puck into his own net. Mathieu Darche was the closest Pirate to the play and picked up credit for the goal, his 26th of the season. The tally was unassisted. Portland added up empty netter from Marek Zagrapan at the 19:58 mark of the third. Zagrapan's goal was his 21st of the season.
Pirates goaltender Jhonas Enroth made 35 saves on 36 shots and took the loss. Scott Clemmensen made 22 saves on 24 shots and took the loss.
Allied Home Mortgage Three Stars of the Game: 1. Mathieu Darche (POR) 2. Jhonas Enroth (POR) 3. Pascal Rheaume (LOW)
Notes: Tim Kennedy saw his point streak end at four games...Attendance: 2,017.
The Pirates will be back in action Saturday night in Providence as they take on the Bruins at 7:05. Fans can follow the Pirates on U.S. Cellular Pirates Radio Network or watch the game LIVE on the internet courtesy of AHL Live by clicking the icon on the left side of the home page. The U.S. Cellular Pirates Radio Network includes the Pirates flagship station, the Bay 1400AM and 1490AM (Portland) and affiliates WEZR 1240 AM (Lewiston-Auburn), WTME 780AM (Rumford) and WKTQ 1450AM (South Paris).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 3, 2009
- Admirals Sunk by Lake Erie - Milwaukee Admirals
- Houston falls 3-1 to Peoria Friday, could clinch playoffs Saturday - Houston Aeros
- Rivermen Seize Second Place With 3-1 Win Over Aeros - Peoria Rivermen
- Crunch Fall to Rockford in a Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Moose drop divisional battle to Marlies, 3-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Bentivoglio's tally 25 seconds into overtime gives Sound Tigers 4-3 victory over Hershey - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bulldogs ground Griffins with a 6-3 win - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Greentree provides offense as Flames top Wolves - Abbotsford Heat
- Griffins fall late in 6-3 loss at Hamilton - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Hartford smacks P-Bruins,6-0 - Connecticut Whale
- Rampage roast Chops - San Antonio Rampage
- Bernier, First In Flight - Manchester Monarchs
- Sharks Edge Albany 3-2 - Albany River Rats
- Phantoms Sneak Past Admirals in Overtime - Norfolk Admirals
- Crawford shines in shootout - Rockford IceHogs
- Devils Lose Battle Versus Pirates, 3-1 - Albany Devils
- Phantoms Take Control Of Playoff Race With 3-2 Overtime Win In Norfolk - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sharks Edge Albany 3-2 - Albany River Rats
- Sharks Riley past Rats 3-2 - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Fall To Wolf Pack 6-0 - Providence Bruins
- Pirates Get 3-1 Victory Over Devils - Portland Pirates
- Sharks reassign forward Ryan Vesce to Worchester - Worcester Sharks
- Moose one of many to thank Flood Fighters with free tickets - Manitoba Moose
- Goaltender Anton Khudobin reassigned to Houston Aeros - Houston Aeros
- Teaming Up for a Great Cause - Cleveland Monsters
- Kings Ink Free Agent Mullen - Manchester Monarchs
- Amerks To Honor Thomas M. Nichols Scholarship Winners April 5th - Rochester Americans
- Dallas Assigns Dan Jancevski To Hamilton - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Amerks Host B-Sens Tonight - Rochester Americans
- Potter Sent to Pack - Connecticut Whale
- Rampage Host Boy Scout Night - San Antonio Rampage
- Boychuk Named AHL's Top Defenseman - Providence Bruins
- Providence's Johnny Boychuk wins AHL's Eddie Shore Award - AHL
- Admirals Team Up with Wisconsin State Fair - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rampage Sign Staal to ATO - San Antonio Rampage
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- Admirals Sign LW Brandon Buck to Tryout - Norfolk Admirals
- Aeros visit Peoria tonight at 7 p.m. in battle for second place - Houston Aeros
- Blackhawks Assign Aliu To Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Flames Recall Defencemen John Negrin And Matt Pelech From American Hockey League - Abbotsford Heat
- Stanley Cup Visit to Cap Off Griffins' Home Schedule - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Peter White Hall Of Fame Induction Higlights Big Night With Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Chops stay alive with big 5-3 win in Houston on Thursday - Iowa Chops
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.