Greentree provides offense as Flames top Wolves
The Flames earned a 2-1 win over Chicago on Friday night to remain in the mix for a spot in the AHL post-season. Kyle Greentree scored twice in the win while Leland Irving turned aside 33 shots for his 22nd win of the season.
Kyle Greentree scored the only goal of the first period when he snapped a shot past Chicago Ondrej Pavelec from the right wing circle. The marker was Greentree's 37th of the year, good for first on the Flames All-Time Goal Scoring List. The Flames held their 1-0 lead through the opening 20 minutes as Leland Irving stopped all seven shots he saw in the opening frame.
The teams traded second period goals as Kyle Greentree scored for Quad City and Matt Anderson responded for the Wolves. Greentree scored when he deflected a shot off Pavelec and into the Wolves net. It was Greentree's franchise record tying 19th power-play goal of the season. Anderson scored for the Wolves at 15:55 of the middle frame when he barreled over Leland Irving and accompanied the puck into the Quad City net. The late second period tally set the Flames lead at 2-1 after 40 minutes.
The Flames penalty kill took control in the third as they stopped three Chicago power plays. Irving was also spectacular as he stopped 13 shots in the closing frame to set the final at 2-1 in favor of Quad City.
The Flames celebrate Fan Appreciation Night on Saturday at the i wireless Center. The Peoria Rivermen visit for the final time with face-off set for 7:05 p.m. During the game, the Flames will wear specialty jerseys that will be given to luck fans following the contest. Tickets for tomorrow night's game are available now at the i wireless Center Box Office, via phone at 1-800-745-3000 or on-line at ticketmaster.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 3, 2009
- Admirals Sunk by Lake Erie - Milwaukee Admirals
- Houston falls 3-1 to Peoria Friday, could clinch playoffs Saturday - Houston Aeros
- Rivermen Seize Second Place With 3-1 Win Over Aeros - Peoria Rivermen
- Crunch Fall to Rockford in a Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Moose drop divisional battle to Marlies, 3-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Bentivoglio's tally 25 seconds into overtime gives Sound Tigers 4-3 victory over Hershey - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bulldogs ground Griffins with a 6-3 win - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Greentree provides offense as Flames top Wolves - Abbotsford Heat
- Griffins fall late in 6-3 loss at Hamilton - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Hartford smacks P-Bruins,6-0 - Connecticut Whale
- Rampage roast Chops - San Antonio Rampage
- Bernier, First In Flight - Manchester Monarchs
- Sharks Edge Albany 3-2 - Albany River Rats
- Phantoms Sneak Past Admirals in Overtime - Norfolk Admirals
- Crawford shines in shootout - Rockford IceHogs
- Devils Lose Battle Versus Pirates, 3-1 - Albany Devils
- Phantoms Take Control Of Playoff Race With 3-2 Overtime Win In Norfolk - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sharks Edge Albany 3-2 - Albany River Rats
- Sharks Riley past Rats 3-2 - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Fall To Wolf Pack 6-0 - Providence Bruins
- Pirates Get 3-1 Victory Over Devils - Portland Pirates
- Sharks reassign forward Ryan Vesce to Worchester - Worcester Sharks
- Moose one of many to thank Flood Fighters with free tickets - Manitoba Moose
- Goaltender Anton Khudobin reassigned to Houston Aeros - Houston Aeros
- Teaming Up for a Great Cause - Cleveland Monsters
- Kings Ink Free Agent Mullen - Manchester Monarchs
- Amerks To Honor Thomas M. Nichols Scholarship Winners April 5th - Rochester Americans
- Dallas Assigns Dan Jancevski To Hamilton - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Amerks Host B-Sens Tonight - Rochester Americans
- Potter Sent to Pack - Connecticut Whale
- Rampage Host Boy Scout Night - San Antonio Rampage
- Boychuk Named AHL's Top Defenseman - Providence Bruins
- Providence's Johnny Boychuk wins AHL's Eddie Shore Award - AHL
- Admirals Team Up with Wisconsin State Fair - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rampage Sign Staal to ATO - San Antonio Rampage
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- Admirals Sign LW Brandon Buck to Tryout - Norfolk Admirals
- Aeros visit Peoria tonight at 7 p.m. in battle for second place - Houston Aeros
- Blackhawks Assign Aliu To Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Flames Recall Defencemen John Negrin And Matt Pelech From American Hockey League - Abbotsford Heat
- Stanley Cup Visit to Cap Off Griffins' Home Schedule - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Peter White Hall Of Fame Induction Higlights Big Night With Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Chops stay alive with big 5-3 win in Houston on Thursday - Iowa Chops
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.