Rainiers Fall in Hernandez's Rehab Start in San Antonio
San Antonio, TX - Former Cy Young Award winner Felix Hernandez took the loss in his first rehab outing for the Tacoma Rainiers in a 6-1 defeat against the San Antonio Missions on Friday night at Nelson W. Wolff Municipal Stadium.
Hernandez (0-1) pitched the first 2 1/3 innings before removing himself from the contest, allowing two earned runs on a pair of hits and a walk. The 33-year-old struck out a pair of Missions (42-26) and hit two batters.
After the umpires overruled a decision which determined that Hernandez hit Tyler Saladino with a pitch, Daren Brown argued the call and was ejected from the game.
Tacoma scored its lone run in the top of the fourth on a Jose Lobaton double which plated first baseman Austin Nola.
The Rainiers were limited to four hits and drew two walks in their second-straight defeat.
After Hernandez's start, Tyler Cloyd pitched the following four innings, allowing four runs and recording six punch-outs. Dan Altavilla recorded the final five outs, surrendering two hits but giving up no runs.
The second leg of Tacoma's seven-game road trip takes them to Round Rock for a four-game series against the Express, Triple-A affiliate of the Houston Astros. Southpaw Anthony Misiewicz (2-3, 5.52) will get the start in Saturday's series opener at 4:05 p.m. PDT. Mike Curto will have full coverage of on South Sound Talk 850 with audio streaming available on the Tacoma Rainiers TuneIn Radio Network.
All tickets, group outings, and suites packages for the 2019 season are available for purchase in person at the Cheney Stadium Box Office, online at TacomaRainiers.com and WeRTacoma.com, or over the phone at (253) 752-7707. The most up-to-date news and notes about the Rainiers throughout the season can be found by following the Rainiers on Twitter (@RainiersLand), Instagram (tacomarainiers) or liking the team on Facebook.
Images from this story
Pitcher Felix Hernandez in his rehab start with the Tacoma Rainiers
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 14, 2019
- Garcia Thrills Sellout Crowd with 10th Inning Walk-Off - Memphis Redbirds
- Rainiers Fall in Hernandez's Rehab Start in San Antonio - Tacoma Rainiers
- Widener Strong for Aces in Texas Standoff - Reno Aces
- Sounds Win in Front of Sellout Crowd - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Use Balanced Offensive Attack to Clinch Series over Rainiers - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (28-39) vs Salt Lake Bees (30-35) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Tacoma Rainiers - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (26-40) vs. Las Vegas Aviators (36-31) - Nashville Sounds
- Houston Astros RHP Collin McHugh Expected to Rehab with Round Rock Express on Friday Night - Round Rock Express
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 14, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Houston Astros 2B Jose Altuve Rejoins Round Rock Express on Major League Rehab Assignment - Round Rock Express
- Grizzlies Head Coach Taylor Jenkins to Throw out First Pitch Tomorrow - Memphis Redbirds
- 'Cats Walk off with 5-4 Win over Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rolling Behind Five Home Runs - San Antonio Missions
- Howard's walk-off hit helps River Cats win fourth in a row - Sacramento River Cats
- I-Cubs Edge Grizzlies to Even Series - Iowa Cubs
- New Orleans Ends El Paso Streak - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Cubs bear crawl past Grizzlies 3-2 Thursday night - Fresno Grizzlies
- Dodgers Diffuse Isotopes in 10-0 Rout - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Rainiers Held to One Run in Big Loss to San Antonio - Tacoma Rainiers
- Round Rock Notches Series Win in 10-8 Victory over Reno - Round Rock Express
- 'Cakes Defeat El Paso - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Dodgers Shut out Isotopes 10-0 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Reno Rally Falls Just Short in Texas - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tacoma Rainiers Stories
- Lopes Launches First Career Grand Slam, Tacoma Falls to Sacramento at Cheney
- Lobaton Belts Two Three-Run Bombs, Rainiers Split Series with Las Vegas
- McCaughan, Rainiers Fall to Las Vegas in Rain-Shortened Game
- Lopes Belts Homer, Rainiers Shut out Las Vegas in Pitchers' Duel on Tuesday
- Lopes Goes Yard, Tacoma's Winning Streak Snapped by Vegas in Opener