Rainiers Held to One Run in Big Loss to San Antonio
San Antonio, TX - Chris Mariscal slugged his second home run, accounting for Tacoma's only run, as the Rainiers suffered a 15-1 defeat against the San Antonio Missions on Thursday night at Nelson W. Wolff Stadium.
Mariscal led off the top of the third inning with a solo blast, cutting the deficit at the time, 8-1. The third baseman had one of Tacoma's (32-35) five hits and drew one of its three walks against the Missions (41-26).
Justus Sheffield (2-6) was chased in the second inning after surrendering the first eight San Antonio runs. Reggie McClain allowed the next four over 3 1/3 innings and Darin Gillies was tagged for three runs in 1 1/3 frames.
David McKay dealt the final 1 2/3 innings for Tacoma, striking out a pair over nearly two scoreless innings. Altogether, Rainiers pitchers recorded eight punch-outs but allowed five home runs in the defeat.
Entering Thursday, Tacoma had won back-to-back games, including the series opener in San Antonio on Wednesday.
The three-game set between Tacoma and the Missions concludes on Friday at 5:05 p.m. PDT from Nelson W. Wolff Municipal Stadium. Mike Curto will have full coverage of on South Sound Talk 850 with audio streaming available on the Tacoma Rainiers TuneIn Radio Network.
All tickets, group outings, and suites packages for the 2019 season are available for purchase in person at the Cheney Stadium Box Office, online at TacomaRainiers.com and WeRTacoma.com, or over the phone at (253) 752-7707. The most up-to-date news and notes about the Rainiers throughout the season can be found by following the Rainiers on Twitter (@RainiersLand), Instagram (tacomarainiers) or liking the team on Facebook.
Images from this story
Tacoma Rainiers pitcher Justus Sheffield
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 14, 2019
- Garcia Thrills Sellout Crowd with 10th Inning Walk-Off - Memphis Redbirds
- Rainiers Fall in Hernandez's Rehab Start in San Antonio - Tacoma Rainiers
- Widener Strong for Aces in Texas Standoff - Reno Aces
- Sounds Win in Front of Sellout Crowd - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Use Balanced Offensive Attack to Clinch Series over Rainiers - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (28-39) vs Salt Lake Bees (30-35) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Tacoma Rainiers - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (26-40) vs. Las Vegas Aviators (36-31) - Nashville Sounds
- Houston Astros RHP Collin McHugh Expected to Rehab with Round Rock Express on Friday Night - Round Rock Express
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 14, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Houston Astros 2B Jose Altuve Rejoins Round Rock Express on Major League Rehab Assignment - Round Rock Express
- Grizzlies Head Coach Taylor Jenkins to Throw out First Pitch Tomorrow - Memphis Redbirds
- 'Cats Walk off with 5-4 Win over Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rolling Behind Five Home Runs - San Antonio Missions
- Howard's walk-off hit helps River Cats win fourth in a row - Sacramento River Cats
- I-Cubs Edge Grizzlies to Even Series - Iowa Cubs
- New Orleans Ends El Paso Streak - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Cubs bear crawl past Grizzlies 3-2 Thursday night - Fresno Grizzlies
- Dodgers Diffuse Isotopes in 10-0 Rout - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Rainiers Held to One Run in Big Loss to San Antonio - Tacoma Rainiers
- Round Rock Notches Series Win in 10-8 Victory over Reno - Round Rock Express
- 'Cakes Defeat El Paso - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Dodgers Shut out Isotopes 10-0 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Reno Rally Falls Just Short in Texas - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tacoma Rainiers Stories
- Lopes Launches First Career Grand Slam, Tacoma Falls to Sacramento at Cheney
- Lobaton Belts Two Three-Run Bombs, Rainiers Split Series with Las Vegas
- McCaughan, Rainiers Fall to Las Vegas in Rain-Shortened Game
- Lopes Belts Homer, Rainiers Shut out Las Vegas in Pitchers' Duel on Tuesday
- Lopes Goes Yard, Tacoma's Winning Streak Snapped by Vegas in Opener