Round Rock Notches Series Win in 10-8 Victory over Reno
ROUND ROCK, Texas - The Round Rock Express (40-26) battled for their 10th series win of the year as they topped the Reno Aces (28-38) by a 10-8 final score on Thursday night at Dell Diamond. Rehabbing Houston Astros C Max Stassi made his Express debut in the victory, going 1-4 with a double.
Round Rock RHP Justin Farrell (1-0, 10.13) earned the win after fanning two Aces hitters in a 2.1 inning relief appearance. On the losing side, Aces RHP Matt Koch (1-3, 7.71) allowed five runs on eight hits and two walks in a 5.0 inning start.
Reno opened scoring in the top of the first as SS Domingo Leyba doubled prior to a Yasmany Tomas RBI single.
Round Rock quickly fired back with a four-spot in the second inning. RF Kyle Tucker led off the frame with a base hit then advanced to second on a Taylor Jones walk. 3B Nick Tanielu followed closely thereafter with a single to score both Tucker and Jones. After LF Chas McCormick jumped aboard on a single, 2B Alex De Goti cleared the bases on a triple that widened the early lead to 4-1.
In the fourth, 1B AJ Reed smoked a leadoff double prior to advancing to third on a Tanielu fly out. Finally, Reed plated Round Rock's fifth run via a McCormick sacrifice fly. The E-Train tacked on another pair in the sixth as Reed worked a leadoff walk before Tanielu smoked a no-doubter home run that landed in Dell Diamond's Home Run Porch.
Reno attempted to spark a rally beginning with a Matt Szczur home run to open the seventh inning. The blast was followed by a Caleb Joseph walk, a Marty Herum fielder's choice and a Leyba walk that loaded the bases. Rehabbing Arizona Diamondbacks 3B Jake Lamb then worked a bases loaded walk to knock in another run.
The teams traded back-and-forth innings for the remainder of the game. In the home half of the seventh, Express DH Taylor Jones went yard, plating Tucker, who had previously walked.
However, Aces 2B Wyatt Mathisen recorded a two-run blast of his own in the eighth. In the bottom half of the frame, McCormick opened with a walk before being doubled home by C Oscar Campos, who entered the game as a defensive replacement for Stassi.
Reno poured on the pressure in the final frame to come within 10-8. CF Abraham Almonte and Lebya worked consecutive walks before scoring on a double and wild pitch, respectively. LF Matt Snider and Szczur worked back-to-back walks, before Snider scored on a Mathisen sacrifice fly to make it a two-run game, but a pair of McCormick impressive defensive plays at the wall helped Round Rock shut down Reno to secure a 10-8 victory.
Round Rock aims for their second series sweep of the season in game three on Friday night. Express RHP Jose Urquidy (3-0, 3.16) is scheduled to start opposite Aces RHP Taylor Widener (4-4, 9.64). First pitch at Dell Diamond is set for 7:05 p.m.
For more information on the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and join the conversation during our historic 20th season using #20STROng.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 14, 2019
- Garcia Thrills Sellout Crowd with 10th Inning Walk-Off - Memphis Redbirds
- Rainiers Fall in Hernandez's Rehab Start in San Antonio - Tacoma Rainiers
- Widener Strong for Aces in Texas Standoff - Reno Aces
- Sounds Win in Front of Sellout Crowd - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Use Balanced Offensive Attack to Clinch Series over Rainiers - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (28-39) vs Salt Lake Bees (30-35) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Tacoma Rainiers - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (26-40) vs. Las Vegas Aviators (36-31) - Nashville Sounds
- Houston Astros RHP Collin McHugh Expected to Rehab with Round Rock Express on Friday Night - Round Rock Express
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 14, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Houston Astros 2B Jose Altuve Rejoins Round Rock Express on Major League Rehab Assignment - Round Rock Express
- Grizzlies Head Coach Taylor Jenkins to Throw out First Pitch Tomorrow - Memphis Redbirds
- 'Cats Walk off with 5-4 Win over Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rolling Behind Five Home Runs - San Antonio Missions
- Howard's walk-off hit helps River Cats win fourth in a row - Sacramento River Cats
- I-Cubs Edge Grizzlies to Even Series - Iowa Cubs
- New Orleans Ends El Paso Streak - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Cubs bear crawl past Grizzlies 3-2 Thursday night - Fresno Grizzlies
- Dodgers Diffuse Isotopes in 10-0 Rout - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Rainiers Held to One Run in Big Loss to San Antonio - Tacoma Rainiers
- Round Rock Notches Series Win in 10-8 Victory over Reno - Round Rock Express
- 'Cakes Defeat El Paso - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Dodgers Shut out Isotopes 10-0 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Reno Rally Falls Just Short in Texas - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Round Rock at New Orleans Series Finale Postponed
- Express RHP Brandon Bielak Fuels Lopsided 13-0 Victory over Baby Cakes
- New Orleans Stuns Round Rock in 6-5 Walkoff Defeat
- Express Bested by Redbirds 10-4 in Series Finale
- Round Rock Express, RS3 Turf and ECHO Outdoor Power Equipment to Refurbish Playing Fields at Pflugerville Little League