Houston Astros 2B Jose Altuve Rejoins Round Rock Express on Major League Rehab Assignment
ROUND ROCK, Texas - The Houston Astros announced on Friday afternoon that six-time All-Star, five-time Silver Slugger, three-time American League Batting Champion, 2015 Gold Glove Award winner and 2017 American League MVP 2B Jose Altuve is rejoining the Round Rock Express as he continues his major league rehab assignment.
The second baseman is expected to be in uniform tonight as the Express close out a three-game series against the Reno Aces (Arizona Diamondbacks affiliate) at Dell Diamond. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
Altuve was placed on the Injured List on May 12 after suffering a left hamstring strain. The 29-year-old previously joined Round Rock on May 26 in Nashville to begin his initial rehab assignment. He played in two games with the Express, going 2-9 with a pair of singles and a run scored before returning to Houston after experiencing fatigue and soreness in his right leg.
The Maracay, Venezuela native is in his ninth Major League season, all with the Houston Astros. Altuve is a career .314 hitter (1,454-4,629) with 278 doubles, 25 triples, 106 home runs and 485 runs batted in across 1,158 games at the major league level.
He appeared in 39 games with the Astros this season before being placed on the shelf. Altuve owns a .243 batting average (35-144) with six doubles, nine home runs and 21 RBI so far in 2019.
After guiding the Astros to a World Series Championship in 2017, Altuve was showered with awards, including Sports Illustrated's Sportsperson of the Year, Associated Press Male Athlete of the Year and Baseball America Player of the Year. He also captured the 2017 Hank Aaron Award, given annually to the top hitter in each league. He has won three American League Batting Titles (2014, 2016 and 2017) and has twice been the American League steals leader (2014, 2015).
Altuve is the Astros franchise leader in career batting average and ranks among the club's all-time top 10 players in on-base percentage (4th), stolen bases (4th), doubles (6th), hits (7th), slugging percentage (7th) and runs (8th).
He has played in just five career games at the Triple-A level between this season's brief rehab stint with Round Rock and a 2018 rehab assignment with the Fresno Grizzlies. After being signed at age 16 by the Astros as a non-drafted free agent on September 27, 2006, Altuve raced through Houston's farm system, making his major league debut straight from Double-A Corpus Christi in 2011. With the exception of his five Triple-A rehab games over the last two years, Altuve has spent the duration of the last nine seasons at the Major League level.
Altuve and the Express close out their three-game series against the Aces tonight at Dell Diamond. Round Rock RHP Jose Urquidy (3-0, 3.16) is scheduled to face Reno RHP Taylor Widener (4-4, 9.64). First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m. The game can be streamed online via MiLB.tv with a valid subscription while audio from tonight's contest is available from AM 1300 The Zone.
For more information on the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and join the conversation during our historic 20th season using #20STROng.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 14, 2019
- Garcia Thrills Sellout Crowd with 10th Inning Walk-Off - Memphis Redbirds
- Rainiers Fall in Hernandez's Rehab Start in San Antonio - Tacoma Rainiers
- Widener Strong for Aces in Texas Standoff - Reno Aces
- Sounds Win in Front of Sellout Crowd - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Use Balanced Offensive Attack to Clinch Series over Rainiers - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (28-39) vs Salt Lake Bees (30-35) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Tacoma Rainiers - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (26-40) vs. Las Vegas Aviators (36-31) - Nashville Sounds
- Houston Astros RHP Collin McHugh Expected to Rehab with Round Rock Express on Friday Night - Round Rock Express
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 14, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Houston Astros 2B Jose Altuve Rejoins Round Rock Express on Major League Rehab Assignment - Round Rock Express
- Grizzlies Head Coach Taylor Jenkins to Throw out First Pitch Tomorrow - Memphis Redbirds
- 'Cats Walk off with 5-4 Win over Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rolling Behind Five Home Runs - San Antonio Missions
- Howard's walk-off hit helps River Cats win fourth in a row - Sacramento River Cats
- I-Cubs Edge Grizzlies to Even Series - Iowa Cubs
- New Orleans Ends El Paso Streak - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Cubs bear crawl past Grizzlies 3-2 Thursday night - Fresno Grizzlies
- Dodgers Diffuse Isotopes in 10-0 Rout - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Rainiers Held to One Run in Big Loss to San Antonio - Tacoma Rainiers
- Round Rock Notches Series Win in 10-8 Victory over Reno - Round Rock Express
- 'Cakes Defeat El Paso - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Dodgers Shut out Isotopes 10-0 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Reno Rally Falls Just Short in Texas - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Houston Astros INF Aledmys DÃaz Joins Round Rock Express for Major League Rehab Assignment on Monday Night
- Houston Astros SS Carlos Correa to Begin Major League Rehab Assignment in Round Rock on Monday Night
- Express RHP Rogelio Armenteros Named PCL Pitcher of the Week
- Chupacabras Claim Series with Dramatic 10-8 Walkoff Win
- Cubs Serve Express Harsh 11-5 Defeat