Houston Astros RHP Collin McHugh Expected to Rehab with Round Rock Express on Friday Night
ROUND ROCK, Texas - Houston Astros RHP Collin McHugh is expected to pitch in relief for the Round Rock Express on Friday night at Dell Diamond as part of a major league rehab assignment, the club announced on Friday afternoon. The 2017 World Series Champion is on the road to recovery following right elbow discomfort.
Round Rock closes out a three-game series against the Reno Aces (Arizona Diamondbacks affiliate) tonight at Dell Diamond. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. McHugh joins fellow teammates INF Jose Altuve and C Max Stassi on active rehab assignments in Round Rock.
McHugh pitched in 10 games with Houston, including eight starts, prior to being placed on the Injured List on May 21. He currently owns a 3-4 record with a 6.04 ERA (30 ER/44.2 IP) with the Astros. McHugh has racked up 48 strikeouts to just 16 walks so far in 2019.
The Naperville, Illinois native has been one of Houston's most consistent pitchers over the last six seasons, posting a 57-34 record with a 3.67 ERA (295 ER/723.1 IP) and 709 strikeouts across 170 games, including 110 starts. His .626 winning percentage currently ranks sixth among all American League pitchers since 2014.
McHugh emerged as one of the top relievers in baseball last season, ranking fourth among American League hurlers in ERA (1.99), fourth in WHIP (0.91), fourth in opponent OBP (.252) and seventh in opponent batting average (.176). He also tied for eighth in strikeouts with 94 in what was his first full season out of the bullpen. He combined to throw 4.0 scoreless innings in the postseason a year ago.
He played a key role in Houston's run to the 2017 World Series Championship, pitching 4.0 hitless and scoreless innings of relief in Game 3 of the ALCS in Yankee Stadium, becoming just the fourth pitcher in MLB history to throw at least 4.0 innings out of the bullpen without allowing a run or a hit in a postseason game. He also pitched 2.0 innings in Game 5 of the World Series against the Los Angeles Dodgers. He finished the 2017 season 5-2 with a 3.55 ERA (25 ER/63.1 IP).
The 31-year-old was claimed off waivers by Houston from the Colorado Rockies on December 18, 2013. Prior to joining the Astros, McHugh pitched for the New York Mets and Rockies in 2012 and 2013, combining to go 0-8 with an 8.94 ERA (47 ER/47.1 IP) across 15 total games, including nine starts. He was originally drafted by the Mets in the 18th round of the 2008 MLB Draft.
McHugh is returning to the minor leagues for just the third time since 2013. The righty appeared in five rehab games with Triple-A Oklahoma City in 2014 prior to rehab stints with Double-A Corpus Christi and Triple-A Fresno in 2017. With the exception of his rehab assignments, McHugh has spent the duration of the last six seasons in the majors.
McHugh and the Express close out their three-game series against the Aces tonight at Dell Diamond. Round Rock RHP Jose Urquidy (3-0, 3.16) is scheduled to face Reno RHP Taylor Widener (4-4, 9.64). First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m. The game can be streamed online via MiLB.tv with a valid subscription while audio from tonight's contest is available from AM 1300 The Zone.
For more information on the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and join the conversation during our historic 20th season using #20STROng.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 14, 2019
- Garcia Thrills Sellout Crowd with 10th Inning Walk-Off - Memphis Redbirds
- Rainiers Fall in Hernandez's Rehab Start in San Antonio - Tacoma Rainiers
- Widener Strong for Aces in Texas Standoff - Reno Aces
- Sounds Win in Front of Sellout Crowd - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Use Balanced Offensive Attack to Clinch Series over Rainiers - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (28-39) vs Salt Lake Bees (30-35) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Tacoma Rainiers - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (26-40) vs. Las Vegas Aviators (36-31) - Nashville Sounds
- Houston Astros RHP Collin McHugh Expected to Rehab with Round Rock Express on Friday Night - Round Rock Express
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 14, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Houston Astros 2B Jose Altuve Rejoins Round Rock Express on Major League Rehab Assignment - Round Rock Express
- Grizzlies Head Coach Taylor Jenkins to Throw out First Pitch Tomorrow - Memphis Redbirds
- 'Cats Walk off with 5-4 Win over Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rolling Behind Five Home Runs - San Antonio Missions
- Howard's walk-off hit helps River Cats win fourth in a row - Sacramento River Cats
- I-Cubs Edge Grizzlies to Even Series - Iowa Cubs
- New Orleans Ends El Paso Streak - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Cubs bear crawl past Grizzlies 3-2 Thursday night - Fresno Grizzlies
- Dodgers Diffuse Isotopes in 10-0 Rout - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Rainiers Held to One Run in Big Loss to San Antonio - Tacoma Rainiers
- Round Rock Notches Series Win in 10-8 Victory over Reno - Round Rock Express
- 'Cakes Defeat El Paso - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Dodgers Shut out Isotopes 10-0 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Reno Rally Falls Just Short in Texas - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Express RHP Brandon Bielak Fuels Lopsided 13-0 Victory over Baby Cakes
- New Orleans Stuns Round Rock in 6-5 Walkoff Defeat
- Express Bested by Redbirds 10-4 in Series Finale
- Round Rock Express, RS3 Turf and ECHO Outdoor Power Equipment to Refurbish Playing Fields at Pflugerville Little League
- Los Lonely Boys to Perform First Concert at Brushy Creek Amphitheater