Reno Rally Falls Just Short in Texas
Round Rock, Texas - The Reno Aces never quit. Down by six runs entering the top of the seventh inning, Reno turned it on. Chris Cron's offense scored two runs in the seventh inning, two runs in the eighth inning and three runs in the ninth. Caleb Joseph and Wyatt Mathisen both had chances with the bases loaded in the top of the ninth inning. Mathisen's out came following a towering fly ball that was caught with a leaping snap at the wall. Joseph's was a similar ball, hit well into left field but didn't have the magical power to clear the bases resulting in an Aces 10-8 loss. Mathisen finished 3-for-3 with a two-run homer and three RBI. Matt Koch allowed five runs in five innings of work and struck out six. Taylor Widener will take the mound for Reno tomorrow night and look steer the Aces away from a series sweep. The first pitch is scheduled for 5:05 p.m. and can be heard on KPLY 630 AM.
Top Performers - Reno
- Jake Lamb (0-for-4, RBI, BB)
- Wyatt Mathisen (3-for-3, HR, 3 RBI)
- Yasmany Tomas (2-for-5, 2 RBI, R)
Top Performers - Round Rock
Kyle Tucker (2-for-3, 2 R)
Nick Tanielu (2-for-4, 2 R, 4 RBI)
Chas McCormick (1-for-2, 2 R, RBI)
DAY DATE OPPONENT PROBABLE PITCHERS TIME (PT) (PT) RADIO/TV
Friday June 14 Round Rock RHP Taylor Widener vs. RHP Jose Urquidy 5:05 p.m. KPLY 630 AM
Notes & Information
On Deck - Following tomorrow night's contest in Round Rock, the Aces will hop on a bus for San Antonio for the first time in franchise history. San Antonio joined the Pacific Coast League this season from Double-A and is the Milwaukee Brewers Triple-A affiliate. Since joining the league, San Antonio is one of two teams with 40 wins and sits in first place in the American Southern Conference.
Shohei: Shohei Ohtani, two-way player for the Los Angeles Angels, became the first Japanese-born player in Major League history to hit for the cycle tonight. Ohtani's cycle came against the Tampa Bay Rays. His cycle is the third all-time at Tropicana Field: B.J Upton, TB (10/2/09) and Carlos Guillen, DET (8/1/06). According to Stats by Stats, Ohtani is the second player in the modern era (since 1900) to win multiple games as a pitcher and hit for the cycle as a batter in his career.
Soccer Ball: Reno 1868 FC is set to defend their home pitch Saturday night at Greater Nevada Field against the visiting LA Galaxy ll. Reno leads the all-time series with LA 4-0-0, and has yet to lose a home match this season. Saturday's action gets underway at 7:15 p.m. PT, with gates opening at 6:15 p.m. PT. The first 1,000 fans in attendance will receive an 1868 FC soccer ball, and the first fireworks show of the season will start after the match. Tickets are still available at reno1868fc.com or the Greater Nevada Field ticket office.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 14, 2019
- Garcia Thrills Sellout Crowd with 10th Inning Walk-Off - Memphis Redbirds
- Rainiers Fall in Hernandez's Rehab Start in San Antonio - Tacoma Rainiers
- Widener Strong for Aces in Texas Standoff - Reno Aces
- Sounds Win in Front of Sellout Crowd - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Use Balanced Offensive Attack to Clinch Series over Rainiers - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (28-39) vs Salt Lake Bees (30-35) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Tacoma Rainiers - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (26-40) vs. Las Vegas Aviators (36-31) - Nashville Sounds
- Houston Astros RHP Collin McHugh Expected to Rehab with Round Rock Express on Friday Night - Round Rock Express
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 14, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Houston Astros 2B Jose Altuve Rejoins Round Rock Express on Major League Rehab Assignment - Round Rock Express
- Grizzlies Head Coach Taylor Jenkins to Throw out First Pitch Tomorrow - Memphis Redbirds
- 'Cats Walk off with 5-4 Win over Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rolling Behind Five Home Runs - San Antonio Missions
- Howard's walk-off hit helps River Cats win fourth in a row - Sacramento River Cats
- I-Cubs Edge Grizzlies to Even Series - Iowa Cubs
- New Orleans Ends El Paso Streak - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Cubs bear crawl past Grizzlies 3-2 Thursday night - Fresno Grizzlies
- Dodgers Diffuse Isotopes in 10-0 Rout - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Rainiers Held to One Run in Big Loss to San Antonio - Tacoma Rainiers
- Round Rock Notches Series Win in 10-8 Victory over Reno - Round Rock Express
- 'Cakes Defeat El Paso - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Dodgers Shut out Isotopes 10-0 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Reno Rally Falls Just Short in Texas - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reno Aces Stories
- Reno Aces, Reno 1868 FC Share Support of Greater Nevada Credit Union
- Aces and 1868 FC Corporate Partners Offer Business and Job Opportunities
- 4.9.20 Reno Aces Release City Pride On-Field "BLC" Cap
- Greater Nevada Field to Host Food Bank of Northern Nevada
- Aces Tickets On-Sale Now, Promotional Schedule Released