RailRiders Rally past Rochester in the Ninth
ROCHESTER, N.Y. - A four-run outburst in the top of the ninth inning propelled the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders to a 6-4 victory over the Rochester Red Wings on Thursday night at Frontier Field.
The Red Wings took the lead in the bottom of the first inning when Raudy Read hit a three-run home run against Clarke Schmidt after a two-out error extended the inning.
Schmidt settled down after that to turn in one of his best outings of the season, walking one, striking out four and allowing three hits while completing 6.0 innings of work for the first time since 2019. Only two Rochester batters reached base against Schmidt after Read's home run.
The RailRiders chipped away in the top of the third when MLB rehabber Miguel Andujar launched a two-run home run off Ben Braymer to cut the deficit to 3-2. It was Andujar's fourth home run with Scranton/Wilkes-Barre this season, and his first since the opening series of the season at Syracuse.
SWB stranded runners in scoring position in the fourth, fifth and sixth innings, and had runners on base in every inning, but could not muster anything until the ninth inning. Meanwhile, Brody Koerner and Ron Marinaccio combined to strike out five batters in the seventh and eighth in relief of Schmidt.
Brandon Wagner drew a one-out walk in the top of the ninth, and pinch runner Greg Allen stole second and third. With two outs and runners on the corners after a walk to Miguel Andujar, Oswaldo Cabrera delivered an RBI single to tie the game. Ryan LaMarre followed with a two-run double to center to give the RailRiders the lead. LaMarre came home when Trey Amburgey reached on an error to extend the lead to 6-3.
In the bottom of the ninth, Daniel Palka greeted Marinaccio (1-0) with a leadoff home run to cut the lead to 6-4. After Jake Noll flied out to center, Mike Ford doubled and Raudy Read singled to bring the winning run to the plate with one out. However, Marinaccio was able to retire the next two batters to close out the win.
POSTGAME NOTES: With the win, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre improved its record to 4-3 during Triple-A's "Final Stretch"... Andjuar's home run was the team's ninth during the Final Stretch, raising Minor League Baseball's pledge to Wyoming Valley Challenger Baseball to $450 as part of its "Homers that Help" initiative.
The RailRiders continue their series with the Rochester Red Wings on Friday night at Frontier Field. LHP JP Sears (6-0, 2.64) takes the ball for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, while RHP Joan Adon (0-0, 0.00) gets the call for Rochester. First pitch is scheduled for 6:05 p.m., with coverage on the RailRiders Baseball Network at 5:45.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Record:
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 30, 2021
- Knights Fall to Redbirds 6-4 on Thursday - Charlotte Knights
- Quintana Rockets Jumbo Shrimp Past Stripers, 7-5 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Lee Locks In, Offense Plates 5 to Edge Clippers - Louisville Bats
- Eight Doubles Lead WooSox Offensive Outburst against IronPigs - Worcester Red Sox
- Bisons Win Sixth Straight, Beating Syracuse 8-5 - Buffalo Bisons
- Redbirds Beat Knights for Second Straight Night - Memphis Redbirds
- Oneil Cruz Homers in Fourth Consecutive Game - Indianapolis Indians
- Mark Payton Hits Two Home Runs, But Mets Fall to Bisons, 8-5, on Thursday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Sounds Power their Way over Indians - Nashville Sounds
- Tonight's Game against Omaha Canceled - Iowa Cubs
- Witt Jr. Joins 30-30-30 Club; Game Suspended in Third Inning - Omaha Storm Chasers
- RailRiders Use Late Rally to Top Plates Thursday Night - Rochester Red Wings
- RailRiders Rally past Rochester in the Ninth - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Demons Exorcised: Saints Finally Win in Toledo, 2-0 - St. Paul Saints
- Offense Falters in 2-0 Shutout Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (60-65) vs. Nashville Sounds (68-57) - Indianapolis Indians
- September 30 Game Notes: Iowa vs. Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- Tides Routed by Durham, Eliminated from Final Stretch - Norfolk Tides
- Durham Wins Ninth Straight, Blanks Norfolk 8-0 - Durham Bulls
- Owen Named Indians September Player of the Month - Indianapolis Indians
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: September 30, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - September 30, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Ryan Callahan Foundation to Host Families from Golisano Children's Hospital - Rochester Red Wings
- Columbus Clubs Quartet of Homers to Drop Bats - Louisville Bats
- Cruz Leads Indy in Walk-Off Winner - Indianapolis Indians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.