Playoff Bound! Texas Comes Back for 8-5 Win to Clinch Playoff Berth
CEDAR PARK, Texas - The Texas Stars rallied from a 5-2 deficit behind the offense of Jason Dickinson, Justin Dowling and Matej Stransky to earn a playoff berth with an 8-5 win over the San Jose Barracuda in front of a sold out crowd at Cedar Park Center on Saturday night to cap off their Military Appreciation Weekend.
All three players finished with two goals for Texas, who recorded their highest offensive output of the season with eight goals just 24 hours after being shut out by the Barracuda. The Stars (39-25-7-3) returned to the postseason for the sixth time in their seven-year history with the win. The Stars and Barracuda (30-25-8-30) split their six-game season series with three wins each.
The Stars host the San Antonio Rampage on Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. CST.
Ryan Caprenter scored twice, John McCarthy, Jeremy Langlois and Barclay Goodrow all scored to give San Jose their 5-2 lead midway through the second. Up to that point McKenzie and Dickinson were the only goal-scorers for Texas, but the offensive flood gates spilled open the rest of the way.
Stransky and Esa Lindell each scored in the final two minutes of the second to make it a 5-4 deficit for Texas entering the break.
Dowling slipped home his first of the night 1:47 into the third from the right circle to knot the score, and Stransky banked a wrist shot off the crossbar at 10:41 from the top of the slot to push Texas in front for good. Dowling and Travis Morin connected on a shorthanded 2-on-1 rush to push the Texas lead to 7-5. Dickinson buried a rebound goal at 16:28 for eighth and final Texas goal of the night.
Aaron Dell suffered the loss for San Jose stopping 43 of 51 shots. Maxime Lagace started the game for Texas but was pulled midway through the second for Jack Campbell. Lagace went six of nine and Campbell stopped 19 of 21 in the Texas win.
The Stars finished 1-for-3 on the power play and San Jose went 0-for-2.
The Texas Stars are the primary development affiliate of the NHL's Dallas Stars and currently in their seventh season at Cedar Park Center. Full season, 24-game and 12-game ticket packages for the 2016-17 campaign are on sale now. For more information, call (512) GO-STARS (467-8277) or visit TexasStars.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 9, 2016
- Brodzinski and Newbury Lead Reign over Condors - Ontario Reign
- Griffins Fall 4-3 to Chicago Wolves - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Playoff Bound! Texas Comes Back for 8-5 Win to Clinch Playoff Berth - Texas Stars
- Monsters extend point streak to seven games with comeback win in Rochester - Cleveland Monsters
- Close-Call Comeback Effort Falls Just Short - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Mount Comeback Win over Griffins - Chicago Wolves
- Monsters Sneak by Amerks in Overtime - Rochester Americans
- Bears Mount Comeback But Penguins Hang On - Hershey Bears
- Bridgeport closer to clinching playoff spot - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Stars Score Six Unanswered in 8-5 Barracuda Loss in Texas - San Jose Barracuda
- Rampage Stuns Wild for 4-3 OT Win - Iowa Wild
- Crunch Top Marlies, 3-2, in Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolf Pack Close Home Schedule with 6-2 Win over Springfield - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Penguins Punch Playoff Ticket with 4-3 Win at Hershey - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Fall to Admirals 6-3 in Heated Battle - Charlotte Checkers
- Special Teams Lift B-Sens Past Devils - Binghamton Senators
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Clinches 14th-Straight Playoff Berth - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Falcons Fall to Wolf Pack - Springfield Falcons
- Providence Takes Down Pirates on the Road, 6-1 - Providence Bruins
- Admirals Dump Checkers 6-3 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Albany Devils Streak against Binghamton Senators Ends - Albany Devils
- Comets Get Exactly What They Need in Overtime Loss - Utica Comets
- Fucale, Ellis Lift IceCaps over Comets in OT - St. John's IceCaps
- Comets Clinch 2016 Calder Cup Playoff Spot - Utica Comets
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba vs. Rockford - April 9/16 - Manitoba Moose
- San Diego Gulls Announce Roster Moves - San Diego Gulls
- Garrett Thompson Reassigned to Fort Wayne - San Antonio Rampage
- Rangers Assign Marek Hrivik to Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Lehigh Valley Phantoms to Host 2017 AHL All-Star Classic - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Sabres Recall Goaltender Ullmark - Rochester Americans
- Lehigh Valley Phantoms to Host 2017 American Hockey League All-Star Classic - AHL
- Heat Open Covanta Easy Being Green Weekend at 7:30 Tonight vs. San Diego - Stockton Heat
- Condors Game Preview: the Hulk Is Here Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign Return to the Road; Close Season Series with Condors Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Canes Sign Nicolas Roy to Entry-Level Contract - Charlotte Checkers
- Defenseman Troy Donnay Joins Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- McKenzie Reassigned to Texas Stars - Texas Stars
- Goaltender Martin Ouellette Returned to Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Islanders Recall Kearns, Quine - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Joel Lowry Shines as Reign Power Past Condors, 4-1 - Ontario Reign
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.