Albany Devils Streak against Binghamton Senators Ends
BINGHAMTON, NY - The Albany Devils five-game winning streak against the Binghamton Senators came to an end with a 2-1 setback Saturday at Floyd L. Maines Veterans Memorial Arena. After dropping the first game of the season at Binghamton, Albany had won the next five meetings by a combined score of 16-4. These in-state rivals will meeting once more next Wednesday at Times Union Center.
Having already secured a playoff spot and home ice in the first round of the Calder Cup Playoffs, the Devils rested several of their regulars. Marc-Andre Gragnani, Vojtech Mozik, Brian O'Neill, Rod Pelley, Blake Pietila, Reece Scarlett and Mike Sislo were all out of the lineup.
Despite the loss, Albany still owns the second-best record in the Eastern Conference at 43-19-8-2. Binghamton improved to 29-37-6-1.
Ben Thomson scored the Devils' tally, which came at 12:16 of the second period to tie the game, 1-1. After receiving a pass from Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond, Graham Black slipped a puck under Binghamton netminder Matt O'Connor's pad. The puck rested on the right goal post and Thomson jammed it in for his sixth tally of the season.
The Senators had established a 1-0 led thanks to Max McCormick's power-play goal at 2:04 of the second. The game-winner came off Casey Bailey's stick with the man advantage at 19:04 of the same period.
Yann Danis remains one win shy of tying Jeff Frazee's franchise record for wins in a season. Danis, who made 18 saves, is 27-12-5.
At the other end, O'Connor finished with 35 stops.
- The Essentials
Shots: Albany, Binghamton
Power-Play: Albany, Binghamton
- Next Up
The Devils return to Times Union Center Sunday for a 3 pm contest against the first-place Toronto Marlies. The game is part of "Military Appreciation" and all active and retired service members will receive free admission to the game by showing proper identification at the Times Union Center Box Office.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 9, 2016
- Brodzinski and Newbury Lead Reign over Condors - Ontario Reign
- Griffins Fall 4-3 to Chicago Wolves - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Playoff Bound! Texas Comes Back for 8-5 Win to Clinch Playoff Berth - Texas Stars
- Monsters extend point streak to seven games with comeback win in Rochester - Cleveland Monsters
- Close-Call Comeback Effort Falls Just Short - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Mount Comeback Win over Griffins - Chicago Wolves
- Monsters Sneak by Amerks in Overtime - Rochester Americans
- Bears Mount Comeback But Penguins Hang On - Hershey Bears
- Bridgeport closer to clinching playoff spot - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Stars Score Six Unanswered in 8-5 Barracuda Loss in Texas - San Jose Barracuda
- Rampage Stuns Wild for 4-3 OT Win - Iowa Wild
- Crunch Top Marlies, 3-2, in Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolf Pack Close Home Schedule with 6-2 Win over Springfield - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Penguins Punch Playoff Ticket with 4-3 Win at Hershey - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Fall to Admirals 6-3 in Heated Battle - Charlotte Checkers
- Special Teams Lift B-Sens Past Devils - Binghamton Senators
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Clinches 14th-Straight Playoff Berth - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Falcons Fall to Wolf Pack - Springfield Falcons
- Providence Takes Down Pirates on the Road, 6-1 - Providence Bruins
- Admirals Dump Checkers 6-3 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Albany Devils Streak against Binghamton Senators Ends - Albany Devils
- Comets Get Exactly What They Need in Overtime Loss - Utica Comets
- Fucale, Ellis Lift IceCaps over Comets in OT - St. John's IceCaps
- Comets Clinch 2016 Calder Cup Playoff Spot - Utica Comets
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba vs. Rockford - April 9/16 - Manitoba Moose
- San Diego Gulls Announce Roster Moves - San Diego Gulls
- Garrett Thompson Reassigned to Fort Wayne - San Antonio Rampage
- Rangers Assign Marek Hrivik to Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Lehigh Valley Phantoms to Host 2017 AHL All-Star Classic - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Sabres Recall Goaltender Ullmark - Rochester Americans
- Lehigh Valley Phantoms to Host 2017 American Hockey League All-Star Classic - AHL
- Heat Open Covanta Easy Being Green Weekend at 7:30 Tonight vs. San Diego - Stockton Heat
- Condors Game Preview: the Hulk Is Here Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign Return to the Road; Close Season Series with Condors Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Canes Sign Nicolas Roy to Entry-Level Contract - Charlotte Checkers
- Defenseman Troy Donnay Joins Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- McKenzie Reassigned to Texas Stars - Texas Stars
- Goaltender Martin Ouellette Returned to Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Islanders Recall Kearns, Quine - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Joel Lowry Shines as Reign Power Past Condors, 4-1 - Ontario Reign
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.