Condors Game Preview: the Hulk Is Here Tonight
CONDORSTOWN, Calif. - The Bakersfield Condors play their final weekend home game against the Ontario Reign on Dignity Health Home Ice at Rabobank Arena. In their inaugural AHL season, the Condors have enjoyed their largest average attendance since 2010-11. Tonight, The Hulk smashes his way into the Condors photo booth for pictures.
Bakersfield Condors (Edmonton Oilers) v. Ontario Reign (Los Angeles Kings)
TIME: 7 p.m. (Doors open at 6 p.m. / 5:45 p.m. for members)
PROMOTION: THE HULK - the action superhero will be in the Condors photo booth for pictures presented by HITS 93.1 & Instant Storage; Condors to honor CSUB Men's Basketball & South High Boys Soccer for their championship seasons with Merle Haggard music playing all night long
BROADCAST: Video (AHL Live) | Radio (Fox Sports 970 AM) | MOBILE (iHeartRadio App - Fox Sports 970)
What's for dinner?: Tap Room - Chef's Handmade Stromboli, Dinner Salad // Club Room - Pork Chops with Caramelized Onions, Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Glazed Carrots, Baby Greens Salad, Apple Pie // Check out the arena concessions amenities map // Firestone Grill - looking for a a great spot for a pregame meal before heading to the game? Check out Firestone Grill at 3501 California Ave., just outside of downtown Bakersfield
The Bakersfield Condors play their 12th and final game against the Pacific Division Champions, Ontario Reign. After taking points in five of six games against the Reign (4-1-1), the Condors have dropped three straight since March 22 for a 4-6-1 overall record.
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
D Brad Hunt scored the lone goal for the Condors as Bakersfield had a 1-0 lead after one period in Ontario last night. The Reign responded in the second and scored three times in the third to take it 4-1. G Ty Rimmer started for the injured G Eetu Laurikainen and made 31 saves on 34 shots in the loss.
G Peter Budaj stopped 30 shots in the win as LW Joel Lowry scored twice in the third period.
With the final weekend home game tonight, and one game remaining on the home slate, the Condors have averaged 5,111 fans per game. It will be the first season the team has averaged over 5,000 per game since 2010-11, marking a bright start to the team's AHL tenure.
The picture is clear for the Condors - win and get help. Bakersfield needs to win their final four games and have San Jose (three games left) and Charlotte (four games left) lose out in regulation.
Charlotte hosts Milwaukee today while San Jose is in Cedar Park to take on the Texas Stars.
JONES MAKES DEBUT
D Caleb Jones made his Condors and professional debut last night, marking the third player to make his pro debut in three consecutive games (D Colton Waltz, RW Joey Benik). Drafted in the 4th round of the 2015 NHL Draft by Edmonton, Jones also became the first 18-year old in the 18-year history of the Condors to play for Bakersfield. He is the brother of NHL d-man Seth, and the son of 12-year NBA veteran Ronald "Popeye" Jones.
Bakersfield has scored power play goals in two straight games and are 3/5 over the last two games... D Brad Hunt scored his 8th power-play goal and 12th goal overall last night. His 8th PPG pulls him into a t-1st among AHL d-men in that category... The Condors have 12 shorthanded goals this season, the latest from C Josh Currie on Wednesday at San Diego. Around the AHL, only two teams have more shorthanded goals this season.
G Peter Budaj became just the second AHL netminder in the last 50 years to win 40 games last night. He leads the league in just about every major statistical category and was named to the AHL's first-team earlier this week... Ontario has the league's best penalty kill, despite surrendering a goal last night on the team's lone PK... The Reign have won three straight... LW Sean Backman is t-12th in the AHL scoring race with 55 points (21g-34a) in 65 games.
4/8 D Caleb Jones signed to ATO
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 9, 2016
- Brodzinski and Newbury Lead Reign over Condors - Ontario Reign
- Griffins Fall 4-3 to Chicago Wolves - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Playoff Bound! Texas Comes Back for 8-5 Win to Clinch Playoff Berth - Texas Stars
- Monsters extend point streak to seven games with comeback win in Rochester - Cleveland Monsters
- Close-Call Comeback Effort Falls Just Short - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Mount Comeback Win over Griffins - Chicago Wolves
- Monsters Sneak by Amerks in Overtime - Rochester Americans
- Bears Mount Comeback But Penguins Hang On - Hershey Bears
- Bridgeport closer to clinching playoff spot - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Stars Score Six Unanswered in 8-5 Barracuda Loss in Texas - San Jose Barracuda
- Rampage Stuns Wild for 4-3 OT Win - Iowa Wild
- Crunch Top Marlies, 3-2, in Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolf Pack Close Home Schedule with 6-2 Win over Springfield - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Penguins Punch Playoff Ticket with 4-3 Win at Hershey - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Fall to Admirals 6-3 in Heated Battle - Charlotte Checkers
- Special Teams Lift B-Sens Past Devils - Binghamton Senators
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Clinches 14th-Straight Playoff Berth - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Falcons Fall to Wolf Pack - Springfield Falcons
- Providence Takes Down Pirates on the Road, 6-1 - Providence Bruins
- Admirals Dump Checkers 6-3 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Albany Devils Streak against Binghamton Senators Ends - Albany Devils
- Comets Get Exactly What They Need in Overtime Loss - Utica Comets
- Fucale, Ellis Lift IceCaps over Comets in OT - St. John's IceCaps
- Comets Clinch 2016 Calder Cup Playoff Spot - Utica Comets
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba vs. Rockford - April 9/16 - Manitoba Moose
- San Diego Gulls Announce Roster Moves - San Diego Gulls
- Garrett Thompson Reassigned to Fort Wayne - San Antonio Rampage
- Rangers Assign Marek Hrivik to Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Lehigh Valley Phantoms to Host 2017 AHL All-Star Classic - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Sabres Recall Goaltender Ullmark - Rochester Americans
- Lehigh Valley Phantoms to Host 2017 American Hockey League All-Star Classic - AHL
- Heat Open Covanta Easy Being Green Weekend at 7:30 Tonight vs. San Diego - Stockton Heat
- Condors Game Preview: the Hulk Is Here Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign Return to the Road; Close Season Series with Condors Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Canes Sign Nicolas Roy to Entry-Level Contract - Charlotte Checkers
- Defenseman Troy Donnay Joins Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- McKenzie Reassigned to Texas Stars - Texas Stars
- Goaltender Martin Ouellette Returned to Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Islanders Recall Kearns, Quine - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Joel Lowry Shines as Reign Power Past Condors, 4-1 - Ontario Reign
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bakersfield Condors Stories
- Condors Open Training Camp on Monday, January 25
- Reminder: Teddy Bear Toss Drive Thru this Saturday 10am-2pm
- Teddy Bear Toss Drive Thru Saturday November 28
- Condors Season to Start February 5
- Enter to Win 2 Tix to Every Arena Event in 2021 with a COVID-19 Test