Monsters extend point streak to seven games with comeback win in Rochester
ROCHESTER, NY - In the third of four meetings between the two teams this season, Cleveland's Lake Erie Monsters defeated the Rochester Americans in overtime on Saturday at Blue Cross Arena in Rochester, NY by a final score of 4-3. With the win, the Monsters improved to 40-21-6-5 overall this season and with a .632 points percentage, remain alone in third place in the AHL's Central Division standings.
An even-strength goal from Rochester's Eric O'Dell gave the Americans a 1-0 lead at 10:18 of the opening period before a five-on-five wraparound score from Trent Vogelhuber, assisted by Markus Hannikainen and John Ramage, tied the game at 12:57. The Amerks capped the first frame's scoring at 17:32 with a Justin Bailey even-strength goal that made it 2-1 heading into the second.
In the middle frame, Rochester's Nick Baptiste pushed the score to 3-1 Amerks on the power-play at 5:08, but Lake Erie's leading goal producer, Daniel Zaar, posted back-to-back tallies, from Sonny Milano and Mark Cundari at even-strength at 9:37 and from Alex Broadhurst and Oliver Bjorkstrand on the power-play at 15:14, to tie the game at three.
After a scoreless third period, the Monsters claimed victory at 1:59 of a three-on-three overtime period when Michael Chaput cleanly drew back a right-circle offensive-zone faceoff and rookie Monsters defenseman Zach Werenski pounded home his first professional goal, in just his fourth pro game, to deliver Lake Erie a 4-3 win.
Monsters goaltender Anton Forsberg improved to 22-10-5 in net for Lake Erie this season by virtue of a 28-save performance while Rochester's Nathan Lieuwen stopped 29 of the 33 pucks he faced in defeat.
Next up for the Monsters, it's a Sunday rematch vs. the Amerks with full coverage, live from The Q, underway at 5:00 pm on ESPN 850 WKNR and simulcast on CLE 43 WUAB and the Monsters Hockey Network.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 9, 2016
- Brodzinski and Newbury Lead Reign over Condors - Ontario Reign
- Griffins Fall 4-3 to Chicago Wolves - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Playoff Bound! Texas Comes Back for 8-5 Win to Clinch Playoff Berth - Texas Stars
- Monsters extend point streak to seven games with comeback win in Rochester - Cleveland Monsters
- Close-Call Comeback Effort Falls Just Short - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Mount Comeback Win over Griffins - Chicago Wolves
- Monsters Sneak by Amerks in Overtime - Rochester Americans
- Bears Mount Comeback But Penguins Hang On - Hershey Bears
- Bridgeport closer to clinching playoff spot - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Stars Score Six Unanswered in 8-5 Barracuda Loss in Texas - San Jose Barracuda
- Rampage Stuns Wild for 4-3 OT Win - Iowa Wild
- Crunch Top Marlies, 3-2, in Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolf Pack Close Home Schedule with 6-2 Win over Springfield - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Penguins Punch Playoff Ticket with 4-3 Win at Hershey - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Fall to Admirals 6-3 in Heated Battle - Charlotte Checkers
- Special Teams Lift B-Sens Past Devils - Binghamton Senators
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Clinches 14th-Straight Playoff Berth - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Falcons Fall to Wolf Pack - Springfield Falcons
- Providence Takes Down Pirates on the Road, 6-1 - Providence Bruins
- Admirals Dump Checkers 6-3 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Albany Devils Streak against Binghamton Senators Ends - Albany Devils
- Comets Get Exactly What They Need in Overtime Loss - Utica Comets
- Fucale, Ellis Lift IceCaps over Comets in OT - St. John's IceCaps
- Comets Clinch 2016 Calder Cup Playoff Spot - Utica Comets
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba vs. Rockford - April 9/16 - Manitoba Moose
- San Diego Gulls Announce Roster Moves - San Diego Gulls
- Garrett Thompson Reassigned to Fort Wayne - San Antonio Rampage
- Rangers Assign Marek Hrivik to Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Lehigh Valley Phantoms to Host 2017 AHL All-Star Classic - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Sabres Recall Goaltender Ullmark - Rochester Americans
- Lehigh Valley Phantoms to Host 2017 American Hockey League All-Star Classic - AHL
- Heat Open Covanta Easy Being Green Weekend at 7:30 Tonight vs. San Diego - Stockton Heat
- Condors Game Preview: the Hulk Is Here Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign Return to the Road; Close Season Series with Condors Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Canes Sign Nicolas Roy to Entry-Level Contract - Charlotte Checkers
- Defenseman Troy Donnay Joins Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- McKenzie Reassigned to Texas Stars - Texas Stars
- Goaltender Martin Ouellette Returned to Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Islanders Recall Kearns, Quine - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Joel Lowry Shines as Reign Power Past Condors, 4-1 - Ontario Reign
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Columbus Blue Jackets Announce Roster Moves Prior to Start of 2020-21 Season
- Monsters and Physicians Ambulance Join Together for Season of Giving
- Monsters Announce New Television Program on SportsTime Ohio, Monsters OT, Presented by University Hospitals Sports Medicine
- Monsters Sign Forward Carson Meyer to AHL Contract
- Monsters Sign Defenseman Thomas Schemitsch to AHL Contract