Stars Score Six Unanswered in 8-5 Barracuda Loss in Texas
Austin, TX - The San Jose Barracuda (30-25-8-3, 71pts) presented by Barracuda Networks led 5-2 with two minutes left in the second period but the host Texas Stars (39-25-7-3, 88pts) scored six unanswered goals as San Jose fell 8-5 in front 6,836 fans at Cedar Park Center on Saturday evening. With the Barracuda (.538%) loss and the Charlotte Checkers (.548%) loss to the Milwaukee Admirals earlier in the evening, San Jose remain behind Charlotte for the 8th and final playoff spot in the Western Conference with two games remaining.
Barclay Goodrow (1-2-3), Ryan Carpenter (2-0-2), Trevor Parkes (0-2-2) all had multi point games for San Jose while Aaron Dell made 43 saves in net in the losing effort. John McCarthy, Jeremy Langlois also scored for the Barracuda but the Stars scored six goals in the final 22 minutes to pull away for the home victory. The Barracuda conclude their six game road trip on Saturday, April 16 at 7:30pm at the Stockton Heat.
The Barracuda broke out to an early 2-0 lead in the first period as John McCarthy's (16th) shot from the left circle broke through goaltender Maxime Lagace at 3:31 and Ryan Carpenter (17th) roofed one from the right circle at 11:11. But the Stars battled back and struck at 12:27 as Curtis McKenzie (22nd) roofed a backhander as he cut across the slot to cut the Barracuda lead to 2-1. Shots were 15-8 in favor of Texas through 20 minutes of play.
San Jose charged out to a 5-2 advantage but the Stars grabbed two goals late to cut the Barracuda lead to 5-4 through 40 minutes. Ryann Carpenter (18th) scored his 2nd of the game at 1:16 which would end the night for goalie Maxime Lagace. Jeremy Langlois (11th) scored an unassisted shorthanded goal at 7:03 after he intercepted the puck off the stick of the new netminder Jack Campbell. Jason Dickinson (21st) scored on the power play at 11:52 but Barclay Goodrow (19th) found a loose puck at the side of the net and chipped it past Campbell at 12:11 to give San Jose a 5-2 advantage. Texas turned up the Heat and scored twice in the final two minutes as Madej Stransky (21st) fired home a rebound at 18:18 and Esa Lindell (13th) snapped one home at 19:26 to cute the Barracuda lead to 5-4. San Jose allowed a season high 23 shots in the second period but lead by a goal through 40 minutes.
The Stars scored four more goals in the third period on 13 shots as Justin Dowling (10th) at 1:47, Madej Stransky (22nd) at 10:41, Justin Dowling (11th) at 12:30, and Jason Dickinson (22nd) at 16:28 all found the back of the net while Jack Campbell made 13 saves in the frame to give the Stars an 8-5 victory.
Notes: Three Stars: 3rd star Mike McMurtry (0-2-2) 2nd star: Justin Dowling (2-2-4) 1st star: Madej Stransky (2-0-2)....Final shots were 51-30 in favor of Texas... Maxime Lagace (19-10-2) made 6 saves on 9 shots for Texas in 21:16 while Jack Campbell picked up the win in relief with 19 saves on 21 shots (6-7-5)....Aaron Dell (16-15-6) made 43 saves on 51 shots for San Jose.... Troy Grosenick served as the backup goalie for the Barracuda ....San Jose went 0-for-2 on the power play while Texas went 1-for-3.... Raffi Torres (IR), Danny Doremus (inj), Scott Timmins (personal), and Petter Emanuelsson (inj) did not dress for the Barracuda... before the game Mirco Mueller was recalled by the San Jose Sharks..... Frazer McLaren was back in the lineup for the first time since March 6 vs. Bakersfield.... the Barracuda are now 1-3-1-0 on their six game road trip... San Jose has just two games left in the regular season (1 home, 1 away).... Ryan Carpenter now has a seven game point streak (4-5-9) with an two goals...Bryan Lerg (3-1-4) and John McCarthy (1-4-5) each have a three game point streak... the shorthanded goal scored by Langlois was the 7th scored by San Jose this season...
On Saturday, the Barracuda close out their six game road trip in Stockton with a 7:30pm battle vs. the Heat. Coverage begins at 7pm on AM 122O KDOW. (you can listen live on www.kdow.bz or www.AHLLive.com)
Season Tickets for the 2016-17 season are on sale now by contacting the Barracuda Office at 408-977-4747 or by crashing the net at www.SJBarracuda.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 9, 2016
- Brodzinski and Newbury Lead Reign over Condors - Ontario Reign
- Griffins Fall 4-3 to Chicago Wolves - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Playoff Bound! Texas Comes Back for 8-5 Win to Clinch Playoff Berth - Texas Stars
- Monsters extend point streak to seven games with comeback win in Rochester - Cleveland Monsters
- Close-Call Comeback Effort Falls Just Short - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Mount Comeback Win over Griffins - Chicago Wolves
- Monsters Sneak by Amerks in Overtime - Rochester Americans
- Bears Mount Comeback But Penguins Hang On - Hershey Bears
- Bridgeport closer to clinching playoff spot - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Stars Score Six Unanswered in 8-5 Barracuda Loss in Texas - San Jose Barracuda
- Rampage Stuns Wild for 4-3 OT Win - Iowa Wild
- Crunch Top Marlies, 3-2, in Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolf Pack Close Home Schedule with 6-2 Win over Springfield - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Penguins Punch Playoff Ticket with 4-3 Win at Hershey - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Fall to Admirals 6-3 in Heated Battle - Charlotte Checkers
- Special Teams Lift B-Sens Past Devils - Binghamton Senators
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Clinches 14th-Straight Playoff Berth - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Falcons Fall to Wolf Pack - Springfield Falcons
- Providence Takes Down Pirates on the Road, 6-1 - Providence Bruins
- Admirals Dump Checkers 6-3 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Albany Devils Streak against Binghamton Senators Ends - Albany Devils
- Comets Get Exactly What They Need in Overtime Loss - Utica Comets
- Fucale, Ellis Lift IceCaps over Comets in OT - St. John's IceCaps
- Comets Clinch 2016 Calder Cup Playoff Spot - Utica Comets
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba vs. Rockford - April 9/16 - Manitoba Moose
- San Diego Gulls Announce Roster Moves - San Diego Gulls
- Garrett Thompson Reassigned to Fort Wayne - San Antonio Rampage
- Rangers Assign Marek Hrivik to Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Lehigh Valley Phantoms to Host 2017 AHL All-Star Classic - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Sabres Recall Goaltender Ullmark - Rochester Americans
- Lehigh Valley Phantoms to Host 2017 American Hockey League All-Star Classic - AHL
- Heat Open Covanta Easy Being Green Weekend at 7:30 Tonight vs. San Diego - Stockton Heat
- Condors Game Preview: the Hulk Is Here Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign Return to the Road; Close Season Series with Condors Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Canes Sign Nicolas Roy to Entry-Level Contract - Charlotte Checkers
- Defenseman Troy Donnay Joins Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- McKenzie Reassigned to Texas Stars - Texas Stars
- Goaltender Martin Ouellette Returned to Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Islanders Recall Kearns, Quine - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Joel Lowry Shines as Reign Power Past Condors, 4-1 - Ontario Reign
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Barracuda Stories
- Barracuda Recall Forward Krystof Hrabik
- Barracuda Recall Three Players from Allen Americans
- Barracuda Sign Three Players to Professional Tryout Agreements
- Barracuda Announce 2020-21 Training Camp Details, Roster and Exhibition Schedule
- 28 Teams to Participate in 2020-21 American Hockey League Season