Comets Get Exactly What They Need in Overtime Loss
ST. JOHN'S, NL - Despite losing 3-2 in overtime to the St. John's IceCaps, the Utica Comets and their fans are celebrating tonight. With the overtime point, the Comets clinched their second consecutive appearance in the American Hockey League's Calder Cup Playoffs.
IceCaps' goaltender Zachary Fucale was the story of the game as he turned aside 47 of the Comets 49 shots on goal, including 18 in the third period. Both Comets goals came courtesy of the special teams with Wacey Hamilton's (1-0-1) tally coming while short-handed, and Taylor Fedun's (1-0-1) coming on the power play.
After the team's combined for 25 shots in the scoreless first period, the IceCaps were the ones to break the scoreless tie 6:42 into the second period. The Comets clearing attempt was batted down by an IceCaps defender by what appeared to be a high stick, and kept in the Comets zone. From the boards, Jeremiah Addison wristed an off-angle shot that Cannata turned aside before Jason Gregoire stuffed the rebound into the net.
After turning aside the Comets first 30+ shots on goal, Zachary Fucale finally blinked 7:15 into the third period. With Taylor Fedun serving a four minute double-minor for high-sticking, Carter Bancks and Wacey Hamilton teamed up for a highlight-reel short-handed marker. On a 2-on-2 rush, Bancks entered the IceCaps zone and pulled up at the top of the circle. Hamilton raced to the slot and one-touched Bancks' perfect pass past Fucale for the team's league-leading 15th short-handed goal of the year.
The tied score did not last long as Jacob de la Rose sniped a shot over Cannata's blocker to regain the lead.
With time winding down on regulation, the Comets got the one goal that would ultimately push them into the 2016 Calder Cup Playoffs. From the point, Taylor Fedun one-timed T.J. Hensick's pass through Joseph LaBate's screen in front, and into the twine to force overtime.
In overtime, the Comets appeared to be headed for a 2-on-1 break but it was whistled down on a controversial embellishment penalty on Carter Bancks. Minutes later the Morgan Ellis netted the game-winning goal for the IceCaps.
With the overtime loss the Comets record dropped to 36-24-8-4.
The Comets wrap up their two-game road trip in St. John's with a matinee game tomorrow afternoon. Puck drop is scheduled for 2:30pm.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 9, 2016
- Brodzinski and Newbury Lead Reign over Condors - Ontario Reign
- Griffins Fall 4-3 to Chicago Wolves - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Playoff Bound! Texas Comes Back for 8-5 Win to Clinch Playoff Berth - Texas Stars
- Monsters extend point streak to seven games with comeback win in Rochester - Cleveland Monsters
- Close-Call Comeback Effort Falls Just Short - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Mount Comeback Win over Griffins - Chicago Wolves
- Monsters Sneak by Amerks in Overtime - Rochester Americans
- Bears Mount Comeback But Penguins Hang On - Hershey Bears
- Bridgeport closer to clinching playoff spot - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Stars Score Six Unanswered in 8-5 Barracuda Loss in Texas - San Jose Barracuda
- Rampage Stuns Wild for 4-3 OT Win - Iowa Wild
- Crunch Top Marlies, 3-2, in Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolf Pack Close Home Schedule with 6-2 Win over Springfield - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Penguins Punch Playoff Ticket with 4-3 Win at Hershey - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Fall to Admirals 6-3 in Heated Battle - Charlotte Checkers
- Special Teams Lift B-Sens Past Devils - Binghamton Senators
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Clinches 14th-Straight Playoff Berth - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Falcons Fall to Wolf Pack - Springfield Falcons
- Providence Takes Down Pirates on the Road, 6-1 - Providence Bruins
- Admirals Dump Checkers 6-3 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Albany Devils Streak against Binghamton Senators Ends - Albany Devils
- Comets Get Exactly What They Need in Overtime Loss - Utica Comets
- Fucale, Ellis Lift IceCaps over Comets in OT - St. John's IceCaps
- Comets Clinch 2016 Calder Cup Playoff Spot - Utica Comets
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba vs. Rockford - April 9/16 - Manitoba Moose
- San Diego Gulls Announce Roster Moves - San Diego Gulls
- Garrett Thompson Reassigned to Fort Wayne - San Antonio Rampage
- Rangers Assign Marek Hrivik to Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Lehigh Valley Phantoms to Host 2017 AHL All-Star Classic - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Sabres Recall Goaltender Ullmark - Rochester Americans
- Lehigh Valley Phantoms to Host 2017 American Hockey League All-Star Classic - AHL
- Heat Open Covanta Easy Being Green Weekend at 7:30 Tonight vs. San Diego - Stockton Heat
- Condors Game Preview: the Hulk Is Here Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign Return to the Road; Close Season Series with Condors Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Canes Sign Nicolas Roy to Entry-Level Contract - Charlotte Checkers
- Defenseman Troy Donnay Joins Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- McKenzie Reassigned to Texas Stars - Texas Stars
- Goaltender Martin Ouellette Returned to Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Islanders Recall Kearns, Quine - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Joel Lowry Shines as Reign Power Past Condors, 4-1 - Ontario Reign
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.