Providence Takes Down Pirates on the Road, 6-1
Providence, RI - The Providence Bruins went on a scoring damage in Portland, downing the Pirates 6-1. Alexander Khokhlachev had a particularly productive night, notching two goals and two assists giving him sole possession of fourth place in the AHL for points (23-41-64).
Providence was out for blood after last night's 3-2 loss to the Pirates at the Dunk. Ben Sexton put the P-Bruins on the board midway through the period. Matt Irwin took a hooking penalty, putting Providence a man-down. Colby Cave intercepted a pass meant for Sena Acolatse and dished the puck to Sexton, who streaked up the left wing and beat his defender. Sexton's back handed shot went high stick side on McKenna and gave the P-Bruins the 1-0 lead. Providence successfully killed off another penalty to defend the lead. P-Bruins newcomers Mark Naclerio and Jesse Gabrielle both spent time on the penalty kill unit.
Seth Griffith and Khokhlachev executed a textbook 2v1 8:27 into the second period to double the P-Bruins' lead. Griffith entered the zone and passed to Khokhlachev on the left wing who found Griffith again streaking to the net. His quick puck handling sent the puck over McKenna's pad and put Providence up 2-0.
The Pirates struck back just a minute later when Bickley found Shaw in front of the net for a deflection. This goal marked a 7 game point streak for Shaw and cut the P-Bruins lead to 2-1.
Brandon DeFazio made it a two-goal game once again when he capitalized on the power play with 4:52 to play in the second. Khokhlachev found DeFazio from behind the goal line, who one timed it for his 21st goal of the season - tying his career record for goals in a single season.
Providence had no intention of slowing down scoring three unanswered goals in the third period. First up was Khokhlachev scoring just 1:11 into the third to make it 4-1, with a nice set up from Griffith. Ben Youds made it 5-1 when his slap shot from the right point found the back of the net. Finally, Khokhlachev rounded out his four point night with a second goal that ripped the top shelf glove side.
Zane McIntyre came up big all 60 minutes, turning away 27 of 28 shots faced and swallowing up virtually all rebounds.
The Providence Bruins are back at it again tomorrow in Springfield and return to the Dunk Wednesday April 13th for another game against the Falcons.
#14 Ben Sexton (#25 Colby Cave) 11:23, 1st SH
#17 Seth Griffith (#13 Alexander Khokhlachev, #19 Brian Ferlin) 8:27, 2nd
#24 Brandon DeFazio (#13 Alexander Khokhlachev, #17 Seth Griffith) 15:08, 2nd PP
#13 Alexander Khokhlachev (#17 Seth Griffith) 1:11, 3rd
#5 Ben Youds 8:41, 3rd
#13 Alexander Khokhlachev (#19 Brian Ferlin) 11:02, 3rd
#31 Zane McIntyre 27 saves on 28 shots
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 9, 2016
- Brodzinski and Newbury Lead Reign over Condors - Ontario Reign
- Griffins Fall 4-3 to Chicago Wolves - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Playoff Bound! Texas Comes Back for 8-5 Win to Clinch Playoff Berth - Texas Stars
- Monsters extend point streak to seven games with comeback win in Rochester - Cleveland Monsters
- Close-Call Comeback Effort Falls Just Short - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Mount Comeback Win over Griffins - Chicago Wolves
- Monsters Sneak by Amerks in Overtime - Rochester Americans
- Bears Mount Comeback But Penguins Hang On - Hershey Bears
- Bridgeport closer to clinching playoff spot - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Stars Score Six Unanswered in 8-5 Barracuda Loss in Texas - San Jose Barracuda
- Rampage Stuns Wild for 4-3 OT Win - Iowa Wild
- Crunch Top Marlies, 3-2, in Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolf Pack Close Home Schedule with 6-2 Win over Springfield - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Penguins Punch Playoff Ticket with 4-3 Win at Hershey - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Fall to Admirals 6-3 in Heated Battle - Charlotte Checkers
- Special Teams Lift B-Sens Past Devils - Binghamton Senators
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Clinches 14th-Straight Playoff Berth - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Falcons Fall to Wolf Pack - Springfield Falcons
- Providence Takes Down Pirates on the Road, 6-1 - Providence Bruins
- Admirals Dump Checkers 6-3 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Albany Devils Streak against Binghamton Senators Ends - Albany Devils
- Comets Get Exactly What They Need in Overtime Loss - Utica Comets
- Fucale, Ellis Lift IceCaps over Comets in OT - St. John's IceCaps
- Comets Clinch 2016 Calder Cup Playoff Spot - Utica Comets
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba vs. Rockford - April 9/16 - Manitoba Moose
- San Diego Gulls Announce Roster Moves - San Diego Gulls
- Garrett Thompson Reassigned to Fort Wayne - San Antonio Rampage
- Rangers Assign Marek Hrivik to Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Lehigh Valley Phantoms to Host 2017 AHL All-Star Classic - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Sabres Recall Goaltender Ullmark - Rochester Americans
- Lehigh Valley Phantoms to Host 2017 American Hockey League All-Star Classic - AHL
- Heat Open Covanta Easy Being Green Weekend at 7:30 Tonight vs. San Diego - Stockton Heat
- Condors Game Preview: the Hulk Is Here Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign Return to the Road; Close Season Series with Condors Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Canes Sign Nicolas Roy to Entry-Level Contract - Charlotte Checkers
- Defenseman Troy Donnay Joins Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- McKenzie Reassigned to Texas Stars - Texas Stars
- Goaltender Martin Ouellette Returned to Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Islanders Recall Kearns, Quine - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Joel Lowry Shines as Reign Power Past Condors, 4-1 - Ontario Reign
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Providence Bruins Stories
- P-Bruins Set Franchise Record with 12th Consecutive Win
- P-Bruins Tie Franchise Record, Beat Hershey Bears, 3-2, in Shootout
- P-Bruins Win 10th Straight Game, Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 4-2
- P-Bruins Extend Win Streak to Nine Games, Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 2-1, in Overtime
- P-Bruins Win Eighth Straight Game, Top Hartford Wolf Pack, 3-2