P-Bruins Get a Point, But Fall in OT 2-1 to Penguins
Wilkes-Barre, PA - The Providence Bruins fell to the Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins in overtime Saturday night 2-1 in the second game of their three-game road trip. The P-Bruins got their lone goal from Ryan Fitzgerald while Zane McIntyre made his 38th start of the season in net.
Providence played well in the first period, and the line of Anton Blidh-Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson-Lee Stempniak had several good chances. Their closest look came from Forsbacka Karlsson, who had a shot go off both posts but stayed out of the net. The P-Bruins out-shot the Penguins 9-5 in the period, but entered the intermission in a scoreless tie.
Wilkes-Barre Scranton flipped the script in the second period, getting the majority of the chances and zone time. The Penguins out-shot Providence 14-5 in the period and capitalized on a turnover to crack the scoreboard first at 16:25. Jimmy Hayes stole the puck in the neutral zone and started a 2-on-1 break with Jake Lucchin. Hayes put a shot on McIntyre that was initially stopped, but Lucchin buried the rebound for his first career goal to give Wilkes-Barre Scranton a 1-0 lead after two.
Midway through the final period, Fitzgerald tied the game with his eighth goal of the season. Karson Kuhlman fired a shot on Tristan Jarry that was stopped, but the rebound went right to Jordan Szwarz. He poked the puck through the crease to Fitzgerald, who hit the open net at 10:08 to tie the score 1-1. Providence played well for the rest of the third, outshooting Wilkes-Barre Scranton 21-7 in the period, but overtime would be needed to determine a winner. Just 1:09 into the extra frame, the Penguins converted a long pass into the game-winner. Ethan Prow sent a feed from his own zone to Adam Johnson who got behind the P-Bruins defense. He backhanded a shot over the the glove of McIntyre for his 18th goal of the year, giving his club a 2-1 overtime win.
McIntyre stopped 26-28 shots while Jarry stopped 36-37 shots. Providence was 0-3 on the power play and 1-1 on the penalty kill. The P-Bruins conclude their roadtrip Wednesday when they make their only visit of the year to Laval for a 7:30pm face off with the Rocket.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 16, 2019
- Griffins Top Admirals with 3-2 Shootout Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Drop Saturday Clash with Tucson, 5-2 - Stockton Heat
- Chris Conner Wins It for Lehigh Valley as Time Expires in Wild Finish - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Division-Leading Wolves Thrash San Antonio - Chicago Wolves
- McKenzie, Tynan Lead Wolves Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Rocket Score Five Powerplay Goals in 6-5 Shooutout Loss to Senators - Laval Rocket
- Gropp and Huska Lead Wolf Pack Charge over Utica - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sens Nudge Past Laval in Shootout - Belleville Senators
- Bernier matches career high with Bridgeport's lone goal in Saturday loss - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Roll Past Devils, 4-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Salvage Point in SO Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- Bears Blow Past Sound Tigers, 5-1 - Hershey Bears
- Monsters Earn Point in 3-2 Overtime Loss to IceHogs - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Clawed by Wolf Pack - Utica Comets
- Penguins Earn 2-1 Overtime Win over Providence - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Devils Lose to Crunch, 4-1 - Binghamton Devils
- P-Bruins Get a Point, But Fall in OT 2-1 to Penguins - Providence Bruins
- Amerks Suffer Second Straight Loss in Charlotte - Rochester Americans
- Checkers Pick up Season Sweep of Rochester - Charlotte Checkers
- IceHogs Sign Defenseman Dmitry Osipov to PTO - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Edged by Red-Hot Eagles, 3-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- Win Streak Reaches Nine with 3-2 Triumph over San Jose - Colorado Eagles
- Stars Recall Goaltender Colton Point - Texas Stars
- Flyers Recall Justin Bailey from Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Marlies Road Swing Continues in Lehigh - Toronto Marlies
- Game #56 Preview: Tucson at Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- Get Behind the Sens as the Team Pushes to Secure Its Spot in the Calder Cup Playoffs - Belleville Senators
- Stockton Looks to Bounce Back against Tucson - Stockton Heat
- Tomkins Reassigned to Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- First Place Condors Host Star Wars Night Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Rocket, March 16 - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Face Bears, T-Birds this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Sound Tigers at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Roadrunners Snap Skid with 3-1 Win over Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- Late Push Falls Short in OT - Manitoba Moose
- Iowa Rides Power Play to 6-3 Victory - Iowa Wild
- Heat Drop Defensive Battle to Tucson, 3-1 - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.