Barracuda Edged by Red-Hot Eagles, 3-2
San Jose, CA - The San Jose Barracuda (31-19-2-4) opened up a two-game series on Saturday afternoon against the Colorado Eagles (33-22-3-1) (Colorado Avalanche) who came into the SAP Center riding an eight-game winning streak. Even though San Jose scored the game's first goal and outshot Colorado 25-23, the Eagles found a way to hold on for a 3-2 win.
The first period was non-eventful up until the last minute when a familiar face would light the lamp and give San Jose a 1-0 lead. Lukas Radil (2) scored in his first game back with the Barracuda since being called up to the Sharks way back in November. Radil caught a pass on a three-on-two in the high slot and ripped a wrister far-side past Pavel Francouz the Colorado goaltender. Antoine Bibeau was perfect for the Barracuda, recording six saves on six shots throughout the first period.
Three minutes and 42 seconds into the second, the Eagles would tie the game up. Logan O'Connor (15) capitalized on a two-on-one when he buried a one-timer on a cross-ice pass from Max McCormick to even the score at one. Then, with three minutes and 42 seconds remaining in the period, Colorado would take their first lead of the game as Igor Shvyrev (6) took a pass from below the goal-line from AJ Greer and rocketed a wrist shot over the glove of Bibeau to give the Eagles a 2-1 lead. The Eagles would score just over a minute later when they again utilized a two-on-one which resulted in an abbreviated breakaway for Sheldon Dries (3) who executed a forehand-to-backhand deke that bested Bibeau and gave Colorado a 3-1 lead heading into the third period.
San Jose captain John McCarthy (10) opened up the third period by scoring at the 4:47 mark when he fired a zone-wide Jayden Halbgewachs pass into the net to bring the Barracuda deficit to 3-2. Unfortunately for San Jose, that would be their last tally of the game in the 3-2 loss.
Bibeau is now 12-11-5 on the season and took the loss, surrendering three goals on 23 shots. Francouz moved to 25-13-2-3 on the year with his win, saving 23 of the 25 shots he faced and earning his eighth win in a row.
With the win, Colorado now holds sole possession of second in the Pacific Division.
The Barracuda will be back on the ice in less than 24 hours on Sunday, March 17th when they play game two against the Colorado Eagles. The Barracuda will be wearing specialty St. Patrick's Day jerseys and concession stands will be offering green beer. Sunday's puck drop is scheduled for 3:00 PM and you can follow the game on 1220 KDOW, The Sharks + SAP Center App, or at watchtheahl.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 16, 2019
- Griffins Top Admirals with 3-2 Shootout Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Drop Saturday Clash with Tucson, 5-2 - Stockton Heat
- Chris Conner Wins It for Lehigh Valley as Time Expires in Wild Finish - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Division-Leading Wolves Thrash San Antonio - Chicago Wolves
- McKenzie, Tynan Lead Wolves Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Rocket Score Five Powerplay Goals in 6-5 Shooutout Loss to Senators - Laval Rocket
- Gropp and Huska Lead Wolf Pack Charge over Utica - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sens Nudge Past Laval in Shootout - Belleville Senators
- Bernier matches career high with Bridgeport's lone goal in Saturday loss - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Roll Past Devils, 4-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Salvage Point in SO Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- Bears Blow Past Sound Tigers, 5-1 - Hershey Bears
- Monsters Earn Point in 3-2 Overtime Loss to IceHogs - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Clawed by Wolf Pack - Utica Comets
- Penguins Earn 2-1 Overtime Win over Providence - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Devils Lose to Crunch, 4-1 - Binghamton Devils
- P-Bruins Get a Point, But Fall in OT 2-1 to Penguins - Providence Bruins
- Amerks Suffer Second Straight Loss in Charlotte - Rochester Americans
- Checkers Pick up Season Sweep of Rochester - Charlotte Checkers
- IceHogs Sign Defenseman Dmitry Osipov to PTO - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Edged by Red-Hot Eagles, 3-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- Win Streak Reaches Nine with 3-2 Triumph over San Jose - Colorado Eagles
- Stars Recall Goaltender Colton Point - Texas Stars
- Flyers Recall Justin Bailey from Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Marlies Road Swing Continues in Lehigh - Toronto Marlies
- Game #56 Preview: Tucson at Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- Get Behind the Sens as the Team Pushes to Secure Its Spot in the Calder Cup Playoffs - Belleville Senators
- Stockton Looks to Bounce Back against Tucson - Stockton Heat
- Tomkins Reassigned to Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- First Place Condors Host Star Wars Night Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Rocket, March 16 - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Face Bears, T-Birds this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Sound Tigers at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Roadrunners Snap Skid with 3-1 Win over Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- Late Push Falls Short in OT - Manitoba Moose
- Iowa Rides Power Play to 6-3 Victory - Iowa Wild
- Heat Drop Defensive Battle to Tucson, 3-1 - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.