Win Streak Reaches Nine with 3-2 Triumph over San Jose
SAN JOSE, CA. - The Colorado Eagles exploded for three goals in the second period to defeat the San Jose Barracuda 3-2 on Saturday, pushing the Eagles winning streak to nine straight games. Logan O'Connor, Igor Shvyrev and Sheldon Dries all collected goals in the victory, while goaltender Pavel Francouz earned his eighth-consecutive win in net with 23 saves on 25 shots.
San Jose would start the scoring in the contest when forward Lukas Radil collected a drop-pass in the high slot and snapped a wrister past Francouz with 1:01 remaining in the opening 20 minutes of play.
Trailing 1-0 to start the second period, Colorado would quickly erase the deficit when a 2-on-1 rush set up Max McCormick to feed a cross-slot pass to Logan O'Connor who would slam the puck into the back of the net to tie the game at 1-1 at the 3:42 mark of the middle frame.
The Eagles would claim their first lead of the afternoon when forward Igor Shvyrev snapped a wrist shot from the bottom of the right circle that would beat Barracuda goalie Antoine Bibeau to give Colorado the 2-1 edge with 3:48 left to play in the second stanza.
The lead would grow less than two minutes later when an odd man-rush led to a nifty backhander on top of the crease from Sheldon Dries that would light the lamp and give the Eagles a 3-1 advantage that they would carry into the second intermission.
San Jose would waste little time cutting into Colorado's lead, as forward John McCarthy would field a back-door pass and fire the puck home from the side of the crease to make it a 3-2 Colorado advantage only 4:47 into the third period.
The Eagles would weather a series of opportunities for the Barracuda, forcing San Jose to pull Bibeau in favor of the extra attacker in the waning minutes. The move would lead to a few solid opportunities for San Jose, but none would find the back of the net and Colorado would hold on for the 3-2 victory.
Colorado went 0-for-3 on the power play and a perfect 2-for-2 on the penalty kill in the win. The Eagles have now gone six-straight contests without surrendering a power-play goal.
Colorado returns to action when the Eagles face the San Jose Barracuda on Sunday, March 17th at 4:00pm MT at SAP Center.
Single-game tickets for the 2018-19 season are on-sale now and start at just $18 per seat. Purchase your seats today by visiting the Budweiser Events Center box office, online at ColoradoEagles.com or by calling the Eagles ticketing department at 970-686-SHOT (7468).?
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 16, 2019
- Griffins Top Admirals with 3-2 Shootout Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Drop Saturday Clash with Tucson, 5-2 - Stockton Heat
- Chris Conner Wins It for Lehigh Valley as Time Expires in Wild Finish - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Division-Leading Wolves Thrash San Antonio - Chicago Wolves
- McKenzie, Tynan Lead Wolves Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Rocket Score Five Powerplay Goals in 6-5 Shooutout Loss to Senators - Laval Rocket
- Gropp and Huska Lead Wolf Pack Charge over Utica - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sens Nudge Past Laval in Shootout - Belleville Senators
- Bernier matches career high with Bridgeport's lone goal in Saturday loss - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Roll Past Devils, 4-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Salvage Point in SO Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- Bears Blow Past Sound Tigers, 5-1 - Hershey Bears
- Monsters Earn Point in 3-2 Overtime Loss to IceHogs - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Clawed by Wolf Pack - Utica Comets
- Penguins Earn 2-1 Overtime Win over Providence - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Devils Lose to Crunch, 4-1 - Binghamton Devils
- P-Bruins Get a Point, But Fall in OT 2-1 to Penguins - Providence Bruins
- Amerks Suffer Second Straight Loss in Charlotte - Rochester Americans
- Checkers Pick up Season Sweep of Rochester - Charlotte Checkers
- IceHogs Sign Defenseman Dmitry Osipov to PTO - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Edged by Red-Hot Eagles, 3-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- Win Streak Reaches Nine with 3-2 Triumph over San Jose - Colorado Eagles
- Stars Recall Goaltender Colton Point - Texas Stars
- Flyers Recall Justin Bailey from Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Marlies Road Swing Continues in Lehigh - Toronto Marlies
- Game #56 Preview: Tucson at Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- Get Behind the Sens as the Team Pushes to Secure Its Spot in the Calder Cup Playoffs - Belleville Senators
- Stockton Looks to Bounce Back against Tucson - Stockton Heat
- Tomkins Reassigned to Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- First Place Condors Host Star Wars Night Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Rocket, March 16 - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Face Bears, T-Birds this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Sound Tigers at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Roadrunners Snap Skid with 3-1 Win over Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- Late Push Falls Short in OT - Manitoba Moose
- Iowa Rides Power Play to 6-3 Victory - Iowa Wild
- Heat Drop Defensive Battle to Tucson, 3-1 - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.