Win Streak Reaches Nine with 3-2 Triumph over San Jose
SAN JOSE, CA. - The Colorado Eagles exploded for three goals in the second period to defeat the San Jose Barracuda 3-2 on Saturday, pushing the Eagles winning streak to nine straight games. Logan O'Connor, Igor Shvyrev and Sheldon Dries all collected goals in the victory, while goaltender Pavel Francouz earned his eighth-consecutive win in net with 23 saves on 25 shots.
San Jose would start the scoring in the contest when forward Lukas Radil collected a drop-pass in the high slot and snapped a wrister past Francouz with 1:01 remaining in the opening 20 minutes of play.
Trailing 1-0 to start the second period, Colorado would quickly erase the deficit when a 2-on-1 rush set up Max McCormick to feed a cross-slot pass to Logan O'Connor who would slam the puck into the back of the net to tie the game at 1-1 at the 3:42 mark of the middle frame.
The Eagles would claim their first lead of the afternoon when forward Igor Shvyrev snapped a wrist shot from the bottom of the right circle that would beat Barracuda goalie Antoine Bibeau to give Colorado the 2-1 edge with 3:48 left to play in the second stanza.
The lead would grow less than two minutes later when an odd man-rush led to a nifty backhander on top of the crease from Sheldon Dries that would light the lamp and give the Eagles a 3-1 advantage that they would carry into the second intermission.
San Jose would waste little time cutting into Colorado's lead, as forward John McCarthy would field a back-door pass and fire the puck home from the side of the crease to make it a 3-2 Colorado advantage only 4:47 into the third period.
The Eagles would weather a series of opportunities for the Barracuda, forcing San Jose to pull Bibeau in favor of the extra attacker in the waning minutes. The move would lead to a few solid opportunities for San Jose, but none would find the back of the net and Colorado would hold on for the 3-2 victory.
Colorado went 0-for-3 on the power play and a perfect 2-for-2 on the penalty kill in the win. The Eagles have now gone six-straight contests without surrendering a power-play goal.
Colorado returns to action when the Eagles face the San Jose Barracuda on Sunday, March 17th at 4:00pm MT at SAP Center.
Single-game tickets for the 2018-19 season are on-sale now and start at just $18 per seat. Purchase your seats today by visiting the Budweiser Events Center box office, online at ColoradoEagles.com or by calling the Eagles ticketing department at 970-686-SHOT (7468).?
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 16, 2019
- Griffins Top Admirals with 3-2 Shootout Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Drop Saturday Clash with Tucson, 5-2 - Stockton Heat
- Chris Conner Wins It for Lehigh Valley as Time Expires in Wild Finish - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Division-Leading Wolves Thrash San Antonio - Chicago Wolves
- McKenzie, Tynan Lead Wolves Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Rocket Score Five Powerplay Goals in 6-5 Shooutout Loss to Senators - Laval Rocket
- Gropp and Huska Lead Wolf Pack Charge over Utica - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sens Nudge Past Laval in Shootout - Belleville Senators
- Bernier matches career high with Bridgeport's lone goal in Saturday loss - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Roll Past Devils, 4-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Salvage Point in SO Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- Bears Blow Past Sound Tigers, 5-1 - Hershey Bears
- Monsters Earn Point in 3-2 Overtime Loss to IceHogs - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Clawed by Wolf Pack - Utica Comets
- Penguins Earn 2-1 Overtime Win over Providence - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Devils Lose to Crunch, 4-1 - Binghamton Devils
- P-Bruins Get a Point, But Fall in OT 2-1 to Penguins - Providence Bruins
- Amerks Suffer Second Straight Loss in Charlotte - Rochester Americans
- Checkers Pick up Season Sweep of Rochester - Charlotte Checkers
- IceHogs Sign Defenseman Dmitry Osipov to PTO - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Edged by Red-Hot Eagles, 3-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- Win Streak Reaches Nine with 3-2 Triumph over San Jose - Colorado Eagles
- Stars Recall Goaltender Colton Point - Texas Stars
- Flyers Recall Justin Bailey from Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Marlies Road Swing Continues in Lehigh - Toronto Marlies
- Game #56 Preview: Tucson at Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- Get Behind the Sens as the Team Pushes to Secure Its Spot in the Calder Cup Playoffs - Belleville Senators
- Stockton Looks to Bounce Back against Tucson - Stockton Heat
- Tomkins Reassigned to Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- First Place Condors Host Star Wars Night Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Rocket, March 16 - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Face Bears, T-Birds this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Sound Tigers at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Roadrunners Snap Skid with 3-1 Win over Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- Late Push Falls Short in OT - Manitoba Moose
- Iowa Rides Power Play to 6-3 Victory - Iowa Wild
- Heat Drop Defensive Battle to Tucson, 3-1 - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Eagles Stories
- Francouz Joins Czech Republic at 2019 IIHF World Championships
- Colorado's Playoff Run Ends in 5-2 Loss to Condors in Game Four
- Colorado Eagles Recall Forward Kale Kessy
- Eagles Announce Series of Transactions
- Bakersfield Takes 2-1 Series Lead with 5-2 Victory over Eagles