Heat Drop Saturday Clash with Tucson, 5-2
STOCKTON, Calif. - Special teams was the difference on Saturday as the Tucson Roadrunners capitalized with four goals - three coming on 5-on-3 power plays - outside of even-strength situations, outracing Stockton to a 5-2 final at Stockton Arena. Tyler Graovac got the scoring started, finding twine off a feed from Dillon Dube for his 21st goal of the season, matching his career high set in 2014-15 with Iowa. Tucson then rattled off four unanswered, two 5-on-3 strikes and a shorthanded marker, to seize control of the game. The Heat scored at 4:05 of the third, Curtis Lazar picking a corner with a slap shot, but the Roadrunners got the last score with a power play score with just 9:02 left in the game, yielding the final 5-2 count.
W: Adin Hill (25 shots, 23 saves)
L: Jon Gillies (30 shots, 25 saves)
Three Stars: First - Lane Pederson (1g,2a), Second - Michael Bunting (2g), Third - Michael Chaput (2g)
Final Shots: STK - 25, TUC - 30
Power Plays: STK - 1-7, TUC - 3-9
- The game represented a pair of milestones for the Heat, with Scott Sabourin skating in his 300th professional game, Ryan Lomberg's 200th.
- Tucson's trio of 5-on-3 goals represented the first scores conceded by Stockton's PK at home since Feb. 17 against Colorado, the Heat falling just short of a full month of perfection on the penalty kill.
- Stockton's goal from Tyler Graovac was his 21st of the season, tying his career high set in 2014-15 with the Iowa Wild.
- Dillon Dube registered an assist on Graovac's marker, giving the rookie points (5g,8a) in six of the last eight games.
- Curtis Lazar lit the lamp in the third period, his first point since Feb. 9 after a stint with Calgary that lasted three weeks.
- Jon Gillies got his 11th-consecutive starting nod in the contest.
The Heat play host to the Iowa Wild on Friday and Sunday to close out March's home slate.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 16, 2019
- Griffins Top Admirals with 3-2 Shootout Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Drop Saturday Clash with Tucson, 5-2 - Stockton Heat
- Chris Conner Wins It for Lehigh Valley as Time Expires in Wild Finish - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Division-Leading Wolves Thrash San Antonio - Chicago Wolves
- McKenzie, Tynan Lead Wolves Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Rocket Score Five Powerplay Goals in 6-5 Shooutout Loss to Senators - Laval Rocket
- Gropp and Huska Lead Wolf Pack Charge over Utica - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sens Nudge Past Laval in Shootout - Belleville Senators
- Bernier matches career high with Bridgeport's lone goal in Saturday loss - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Roll Past Devils, 4-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Salvage Point in SO Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- Bears Blow Past Sound Tigers, 5-1 - Hershey Bears
- Monsters Earn Point in 3-2 Overtime Loss to IceHogs - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Clawed by Wolf Pack - Utica Comets
- Penguins Earn 2-1 Overtime Win over Providence - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Devils Lose to Crunch, 4-1 - Binghamton Devils
- P-Bruins Get a Point, But Fall in OT 2-1 to Penguins - Providence Bruins
- Amerks Suffer Second Straight Loss in Charlotte - Rochester Americans
- Checkers Pick up Season Sweep of Rochester - Charlotte Checkers
- IceHogs Sign Defenseman Dmitry Osipov to PTO - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Edged by Red-Hot Eagles, 3-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- Win Streak Reaches Nine with 3-2 Triumph over San Jose - Colorado Eagles
- Stars Recall Goaltender Colton Point - Texas Stars
- Flyers Recall Justin Bailey from Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Marlies Road Swing Continues in Lehigh - Toronto Marlies
- Game #56 Preview: Tucson at Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- Get Behind the Sens as the Team Pushes to Secure Its Spot in the Calder Cup Playoffs - Belleville Senators
- Stockton Looks to Bounce Back against Tucson - Stockton Heat
- Tomkins Reassigned to Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- First Place Condors Host Star Wars Night Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Rocket, March 16 - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Face Bears, T-Birds this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Sound Tigers at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Roadrunners Snap Skid with 3-1 Win over Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- Late Push Falls Short in OT - Manitoba Moose
- Iowa Rides Power Play to 6-3 Victory - Iowa Wild
- Heat Drop Defensive Battle to Tucson, 3-1 - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.