Game Preview: Sound Tigers at Bears, 7 p.m.
(Hershey, PA) - The Hershey Bears conclude their weekend with a 7 p.m. home tilt against the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, American Hockey League affiliate of the New York Islanders. The Bears look to rebound after falling in overtime the previous night to the Toronto Marlies, 5-4. Bridgeport was idle last night, and last played on Mar. 10.
Hershey Bears (34-22-3-4) vs. Bridgeport Sound Tigers (36-19-5-2)
March 16, 2019 | 7 PM | Game 64 | Giant Center
Referees: Tim Mayer (19), Stephen Reneau (34)
Linesmen: Paul Carnathann (93), Scott Pomento (25)
Ames Janitorial Services Rally Towel Night, Autism Acceptance Jersey Auction
Ticket Information: http://www.hersheybears.com/tickets/single-game.php
Broadcast Information (Pre-game 6:30 p.m.)
RADIO: WQIC-100.1 FM, WOYK 1350-AM, Fox Sports 1460-AM, Voice of the Bears Zack Fisch, Mitch Lamoureux and Jim Jones on the call.
LISTEN LIVE: Fox Sports AM-1460 Stream
WATCH LIVE: AHLTV
ATLANTIC DIVISION STANDINGS
LAST TIME OUT:
The Bears fought back last night to earn a point, but fell to the Toronto Marlies, 5-4, in overtime at Giant Center. After a scoreless first period, the two teams combined for six goals in the middle frame as Toronto took a 4-2 lead through 40 minutes. Hershey rallied in the third period to tie the game, as Garrett Pilon tallied at 10:34, and Devante Smith-Pelly scored at 12:05. The Bears ran into penalty trouble all night long, and the Marlies finished the night 3-for-9 on the power play, with Chris Mueller scoring the game-winning goal on the man-advantage in overtime at 1:39. The Sound Tigers also played Toronto in their last contest, earning a 3-2 shootout win last Sunday on the road. Otto Koivula had the shootout winner.
Several Hershey Bears enter tonight's game on point streaks. Devante Smith-Pelly leads the way for Hershey, collecting points in five straight games. With a goal and an assist last night, Smith-Pelly has nine points (five goals, four assists) in that stretch. Nathan Walker (one goal, six assists) and Jayson Megna (four goals, five assists) each have points in four straight games. Hershey defender Tyler Lewington also has an assist in three straight games, a mark tied for the longest point streak of his career. Megna's four-game goal streak ties the longest by any Bear this season with Riley Barber from Nov. 10-23.
SEASON SERIES VS. SOUND TIGERS:
Tonight marks the fifth meeting between Hershey and Bridgeport this season. Hershey is just 1-3-0-0 versus the Sound Tigers this year, and the Bears have dropped the last two games in the season series. The Sound Tigers and Bears last met on Mar. 2 at Giant Center as Travis St. Denis had a goal and an assist to lead Bridgeport to a 4-1 win. Bridgeport's top scorer in the season series, Michael Dal Colle (six points) won't be a factor in tonight's game as he's currently recalled to the Islanders. Tonight's game could be a playoff preview. If the postseason started today, the 2nd place Sound Tigers would play the 3rd place Bears in the opening round of the Calder Cup Playoffs. Hershey enters tonight's game trailing Bridgeport in the standings by four points.
PILON'S ON:Hershey forward Garrett Pilon leads the Bears in the season series versus the Sound Tigers, striking for four points (two goals, two assists) in the four head-to-head contests so far this season. The 3rd round Washington draft pick leads Hershey rookies in points with 28, striking for eight goals and 20 assists in 63 games this season. He tallied a goal and an assist in last night's loss versus Toronto. Pilon has family ties to the NHL affiliate of the Sound Tigers, the New York Islanders. Pilon's father, Rich, a defender who skated in 631 NHL games, played 12 years for the Islanders from 1988-1999.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 16, 2019
- Griffins Top Admirals with 3-2 Shootout Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Drop Saturday Clash with Tucson, 5-2 - Stockton Heat
- Chris Conner Wins It for Lehigh Valley as Time Expires in Wild Finish - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Division-Leading Wolves Thrash San Antonio - Chicago Wolves
- McKenzie, Tynan Lead Wolves Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Rocket Score Five Powerplay Goals in 6-5 Shooutout Loss to Senators - Laval Rocket
- Gropp and Huska Lead Wolf Pack Charge over Utica - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sens Nudge Past Laval in Shootout - Belleville Senators
- Bernier matches career high with Bridgeport's lone goal in Saturday loss - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Roll Past Devils, 4-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Salvage Point in SO Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- Bears Blow Past Sound Tigers, 5-1 - Hershey Bears
- Monsters Earn Point in 3-2 Overtime Loss to IceHogs - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Clawed by Wolf Pack - Utica Comets
- Penguins Earn 2-1 Overtime Win over Providence - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Devils Lose to Crunch, 4-1 - Binghamton Devils
- P-Bruins Get a Point, But Fall in OT 2-1 to Penguins - Providence Bruins
- Amerks Suffer Second Straight Loss in Charlotte - Rochester Americans
- Checkers Pick up Season Sweep of Rochester - Charlotte Checkers
- IceHogs Sign Defenseman Dmitry Osipov to PTO - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Edged by Red-Hot Eagles, 3-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- Win Streak Reaches Nine with 3-2 Triumph over San Jose - Colorado Eagles
- Stars Recall Goaltender Colton Point - Texas Stars
- Flyers Recall Justin Bailey from Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Marlies Road Swing Continues in Lehigh - Toronto Marlies
- Game #56 Preview: Tucson at Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- Get Behind the Sens as the Team Pushes to Secure Its Spot in the Calder Cup Playoffs - Belleville Senators
- Stockton Looks to Bounce Back against Tucson - Stockton Heat
- Tomkins Reassigned to Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- First Place Condors Host Star Wars Night Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Rocket, March 16 - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Face Bears, T-Birds this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Sound Tigers at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Roadrunners Snap Skid with 3-1 Win over Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- Late Push Falls Short in OT - Manitoba Moose
- Iowa Rides Power Play to 6-3 Victory - Iowa Wild
- Heat Drop Defensive Battle to Tucson, 3-1 - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hershey Bears Stories
- Capitals Recall Goaltender Ilya Samsonov from Hershey
- Game Preview: Bears at Sound Tigers, 7 p.m. - Atlantic Division Semifinals Game 2
- Bears Drop Game 1 in Double Overtime to Sound Tigers
- Capitals Recall Smith-Pelly, Re-Assign Vanecek to Hershey
- Game Preview: Bears at Sound Tigers, 7 p.m. (Atlantic Division Semifinals - Game 1)