Monsters Earn Point in 3-2 Overtime Loss to IceHogs
ROCKFORD, IL - The AHL's Cleveland Monsters were defeated in overtime by the Rockford IceHogs at BMO Harris Bank Center in Rockford, IL on Saturday by a final score of 3-2. With the overtime setback, the Monsters are now 30-26-7-1 overall this season and with 68 points, currently reside in fifth place alone in the AHL's North Division standings, four points behind the fourth place Belleville Senators for the division's final playoff spot.
The IceHogs grabbed a 1-0 lead on Saturday when Victor Ejdsell potted an even-strength breakway at 5:13 of the first before the Monsters equalized at 17:34 of the opening frame via Dillon Simpson's five-on-five wraparound finish, made possible by Doyle Somerby's lone assist.
In the middle frame, Rockford pulled ahead with a Blake Hillman even-strength tally at 1:30, but the Monsters scratched across a tying goal at 9:15 when Brett Gallant fed Zac Dalpe for a shorthanded transition marker to make it 2-2. After a scoreless third stanza, the IceHogs claimed victory 1:15 into a three-on-three overtime session when Peter Holland delivered the decisive goal.
Monsters goaltender Brad Thiessen fell to 6-5-2 this season following a 30-save performance while Rockford's Collin Delia improved to 9-6-4 in net this year by virtue of a 33-save showing.
Next up for the Monsters, it's a Friday road clash vs. the Rochester Americans with full coverage, live from Blue Cross Arena in Rochester, NY, underway at 7:00 pm on Alt 99.1, AHLTV and the Monsters Hockey Network.
Cleveland Monsters tickets for the hottest games of the year on sale now and start at only $10 per seat! Additionally, 2019-20 Monsters Hockey Club memberships, including the best seats for each game, the lowest ticket prices, exclusive year-round benefits and free gear are also on sale now. Visit https://www.clevelandmonsters.com/tickets/monsters-hockey-club or by calling the Monsters sales and service team at 216-420-0000. Be sure to follow the Monsters on Twitter @monstershockey, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/monstershockey, and on Instagram @monstershockey.
Images from this story
Zac Dalpe of the Cleveland Monsters scores against the Rockford IceHogs
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 16, 2019
- Griffins Top Admirals with 3-2 Shootout Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Drop Saturday Clash with Tucson, 5-2 - Stockton Heat
- Chris Conner Wins It for Lehigh Valley as Time Expires in Wild Finish - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Division-Leading Wolves Thrash San Antonio - Chicago Wolves
- McKenzie, Tynan Lead Wolves Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Rocket Score Five Powerplay Goals in 6-5 Shooutout Loss to Senators - Laval Rocket
- Gropp and Huska Lead Wolf Pack Charge over Utica - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sens Nudge Past Laval in Shootout - Belleville Senators
- Bernier matches career high with Bridgeport's lone goal in Saturday loss - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Roll Past Devils, 4-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Salvage Point in SO Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- Bears Blow Past Sound Tigers, 5-1 - Hershey Bears
- Monsters Earn Point in 3-2 Overtime Loss to IceHogs - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Clawed by Wolf Pack - Utica Comets
- Penguins Earn 2-1 Overtime Win over Providence - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Devils Lose to Crunch, 4-1 - Binghamton Devils
- P-Bruins Get a Point, But Fall in OT 2-1 to Penguins - Providence Bruins
- Amerks Suffer Second Straight Loss in Charlotte - Rochester Americans
- Checkers Pick up Season Sweep of Rochester - Charlotte Checkers
- IceHogs Sign Defenseman Dmitry Osipov to PTO - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Edged by Red-Hot Eagles, 3-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- Win Streak Reaches Nine with 3-2 Triumph over San Jose - Colorado Eagles
- Stars Recall Goaltender Colton Point - Texas Stars
- Flyers Recall Justin Bailey from Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Marlies Road Swing Continues in Lehigh - Toronto Marlies
- Game #56 Preview: Tucson at Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- Get Behind the Sens as the Team Pushes to Secure Its Spot in the Calder Cup Playoffs - Belleville Senators
- Stockton Looks to Bounce Back against Tucson - Stockton Heat
- Tomkins Reassigned to Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- First Place Condors Host Star Wars Night Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Rocket, March 16 - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Face Bears, T-Birds this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Sound Tigers at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Roadrunners Snap Skid with 3-1 Win over Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- Late Push Falls Short in OT - Manitoba Moose
- Iowa Rides Power Play to 6-3 Victory - Iowa Wild
- Heat Drop Defensive Battle to Tucson, 3-1 - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Blue Jackets Reassign Liam Foudy to Monsters from OHL's London Knights
- Blue Jackets Assign Center Zac Dalpe to Monsters
- Monsters Sign Goaltender Jeff Smith to Professional Tryout Contract
- Monsters Playoff Schedule and Fan Information Announced
- Blue Jackets Recall Center Zac Dalpe from Monsters