Late Push Falls Short in OT
The Manitoba Moose (30-26-4-2) battled back from a 4-1 deficit, but fell 5-4 in overtime to the Texas Stars (31-26-4-3) on Friday night at Bell MTS Place. Texas opened the scoring nine minutes into the first period on a tic-tac-toe passing play to set up Travis Morin for a power play goal. The visitors extended their advantage with five minutes left in the period as Tony Calderone directed Colin Markison's centering feed into the goal with his skates. Erik Condra gave the Stars a 3-0 lead with 1:27 left on the clock, scoring on a shorthanded breakaway. Philippe Desrosiers made 11 saves in the period to keep the Moose off the board.
The Moose changed things up for the second period as Mikhail Berdin stepped between the pipes for Eric Comrie. Manitoba got on the board with 5:22 to go in the period as Logan Shaw snapped a one-timer past Desrosiers just six seconds into a power play. The Stars pushed their lead to 4-1 on a Denis Gurianov one-timer on the power play with 36 seconds to go in the period.
The Moose thought they had cut the Texas lead to two early in the third, but Tucker Poolman's brilliant goal off a rush through multiple Stars defenders was wiped out as Desrosiers fell back into the post and knocked the net off before the puck crossed the line. Undeterred, the Moose got their second tally of the night from Mason Appleton, who spun and fired one to the back of the net 6:16 into the period. Just over two minutes later, Marko Dano tipped a Poolman point shot to the twine and the Moose were within one. They completed the comeback with 8:48 to go in regulation as Jimmy Oligny grabbed a loose puck and found room past a sprawling Desrosiers to tie the game 4-4. The contest stayed even through regulation and Michael Mersch scored 1:56 into overtime to down the Moose 5-4.
Marko Dano posted a career-high three points (1G, 2A) in the contest.
Dano also reached a new career high with his 24th point (11G, 13A) of the season.
Tucker Poolman has points in three straight games with four assists in that span.
Forward Ryan White played his 250th AHL game. Quotable
Head Coach Pascal Vincent on the comeback - "The bench was alive. I thought it was a real good team effort, even when we were down by three, at 3-0 and 4-1. By doing the right things over and over, and playing the right way, we gave ourselves a chance to come back and getting a point is huge."
Head Coach Pascal Vincent on defenceman Tucker Poolman - "Tucker Poolman was playing like he was in the wrong league. He was outstanding. His best game I've seen him play with us. He was physical, he was making plays, he was shooting the puck, he was solid defensively, he had a good stick, and he was skating. That was a real solid game from Tucker Poolman."
Game Summary: https://theahl.com/stats/game-summary/1019288
Highlights and Post-Game Coverage: moosehockey.com/moosetv
Photo Gallery: https://mbmoo.se/2SLrddr
The Moose host the San Diego Gulls on Sunday for St. Patrick's Day. The first 3,000 fans through the doors at Bell MTS Place will receive a pack of Upper Deck hockey cards and a free McDonald's Shamrock Shake. Tickets for the 2 p.m. puck drop are available at moosehockey.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 16, 2019
- Griffins Top Admirals with 3-2 Shootout Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Drop Saturday Clash with Tucson, 5-2 - Stockton Heat
- Chris Conner Wins It for Lehigh Valley as Time Expires in Wild Finish - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Division-Leading Wolves Thrash San Antonio - Chicago Wolves
- McKenzie, Tynan Lead Wolves Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Rocket Score Five Powerplay Goals in 6-5 Shooutout Loss to Senators - Laval Rocket
- Gropp and Huska Lead Wolf Pack Charge over Utica - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sens Nudge Past Laval in Shootout - Belleville Senators
- Bernier matches career high with Bridgeport's lone goal in Saturday loss - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Roll Past Devils, 4-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Salvage Point in SO Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- Bears Blow Past Sound Tigers, 5-1 - Hershey Bears
- Monsters Earn Point in 3-2 Overtime Loss to IceHogs - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Clawed by Wolf Pack - Utica Comets
- Penguins Earn 2-1 Overtime Win over Providence - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Devils Lose to Crunch, 4-1 - Binghamton Devils
- P-Bruins Get a Point, But Fall in OT 2-1 to Penguins - Providence Bruins
- Amerks Suffer Second Straight Loss in Charlotte - Rochester Americans
- Checkers Pick up Season Sweep of Rochester - Charlotte Checkers
- IceHogs Sign Defenseman Dmitry Osipov to PTO - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Edged by Red-Hot Eagles, 3-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- Win Streak Reaches Nine with 3-2 Triumph over San Jose - Colorado Eagles
- Stars Recall Goaltender Colton Point - Texas Stars
- Flyers Recall Justin Bailey from Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Marlies Road Swing Continues in Lehigh - Toronto Marlies
- Game #56 Preview: Tucson at Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- Get Behind the Sens as the Team Pushes to Secure Its Spot in the Calder Cup Playoffs - Belleville Senators
- Stockton Looks to Bounce Back against Tucson - Stockton Heat
- Tomkins Reassigned to Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- First Place Condors Host Star Wars Night Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Rocket, March 16 - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Face Bears, T-Birds this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Sound Tigers at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Roadrunners Snap Skid with 3-1 Win over Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- Late Push Falls Short in OT - Manitoba Moose
- Iowa Rides Power Play to 6-3 Victory - Iowa Wild
- Heat Drop Defensive Battle to Tucson, 3-1 - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Manitoba Moose Stories
- Jets Claim Anton Forsberg off Waivers
- Jets Reassign Seven Players to the Manitoba Moose
- Jets Sign MIkhail Berdin to a Contract Extension
- Moose Launch Sixth Annual "Share the Warmth" Campaign
- Winnipeg Jets and Manitoba Moose to Run Virtual HFC Campaigns Throughout November