Admirals Salvage Point in SO Loss
Milwaukee, WI - Colin Blackwell's third period goal tied the game late in the third period to help the Admirals earn a point in a 3-2 shoot-out loss to the Grand Rapids Griffins on Saturday night at Panther Arena.
The point brought the Ads within two of Texas for the fourth and final playoffs spot in the Central Division with 11 games to play in the regular season.
For the fourth time in the past five games the Admirals were the first team to find the back of the net as Phil Di Guiseppe tallied his first goal as a member of the team. The play started when Yakov Trenin pulled the puck out of the left corner and headed back to the net when he was pulled down to his knees. However, he still managed to chip the puck front to a crashing Di Guiseppe, who scored five-hole.
That lead would last only until 3:52 of the second period when the Griffins Libor Sulak sent a wrister from the bottom of the left circle over the shoulder of Ads netminder Troy Grosenick.
The Griffins would take the lead at 2-1 with just under 11 minutes to play in the middle frame courtesy of Matt's Puempel's 23rd goal of the year.
The Admirals would respond in the third period, peppering Griffins goalie Harri Sateri with 14 shots and tied things up on Blackwell's ninth goal of the season with 6:16 remaining the game. The play started when Blackwell took a pass from Anthony Richard and started down the slot. He didn't have anything so he circled back around the left faceoff circle and then fired a wrister from between the wheels, beating Sateri high, stick side.
Playing in his first pro games, defenseman Zach Osburn earned an assist on the Blackwell tally.
The score stayed that way through the rest of regulation and through overtime, setting the way for a shoot-out that saw Puempel pick up the lone tally and giving the Griffins the win.
The Admirals are off until next Friday night when they begin a three-game stretch against the Rockford IceHogs, who are one point ahead of them in the standings, by hosting them here at Panther Arena at 7 pm.
Fans can purchase tickets by calling the Admirals office at (414) 227-0550, or online at www.milwaukeeadmirals.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 16, 2019
- Griffins Top Admirals with 3-2 Shootout Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Drop Saturday Clash with Tucson, 5-2 - Stockton Heat
- Chris Conner Wins It for Lehigh Valley as Time Expires in Wild Finish - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Division-Leading Wolves Thrash San Antonio - Chicago Wolves
- McKenzie, Tynan Lead Wolves Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Rocket Score Five Powerplay Goals in 6-5 Shooutout Loss to Senators - Laval Rocket
- Gropp and Huska Lead Wolf Pack Charge over Utica - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sens Nudge Past Laval in Shootout - Belleville Senators
- Bernier matches career high with Bridgeport's lone goal in Saturday loss - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Roll Past Devils, 4-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Salvage Point in SO Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- Bears Blow Past Sound Tigers, 5-1 - Hershey Bears
- Monsters Earn Point in 3-2 Overtime Loss to IceHogs - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Clawed by Wolf Pack - Utica Comets
- Penguins Earn 2-1 Overtime Win over Providence - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Devils Lose to Crunch, 4-1 - Binghamton Devils
- P-Bruins Get a Point, But Fall in OT 2-1 to Penguins - Providence Bruins
- Amerks Suffer Second Straight Loss in Charlotte - Rochester Americans
- Checkers Pick up Season Sweep of Rochester - Charlotte Checkers
- IceHogs Sign Defenseman Dmitry Osipov to PTO - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Edged by Red-Hot Eagles, 3-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- Win Streak Reaches Nine with 3-2 Triumph over San Jose - Colorado Eagles
- Stars Recall Goaltender Colton Point - Texas Stars
- Flyers Recall Justin Bailey from Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Marlies Road Swing Continues in Lehigh - Toronto Marlies
- Game #56 Preview: Tucson at Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- Get Behind the Sens as the Team Pushes to Secure Its Spot in the Calder Cup Playoffs - Belleville Senators
- Stockton Looks to Bounce Back against Tucson - Stockton Heat
- Tomkins Reassigned to Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- First Place Condors Host Star Wars Night Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Rocket, March 16 - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Face Bears, T-Birds this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Sound Tigers at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Roadrunners Snap Skid with 3-1 Win over Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- Late Push Falls Short in OT - Manitoba Moose
- Iowa Rides Power Play to 6-3 Victory - Iowa Wild
- Heat Drop Defensive Battle to Tucson, 3-1 - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.