Penguins Earn 2-1 Overtime Win over Providence
WILKES-BARRE, Pa. - The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins downed the Providence Bruins with a 2-1 overtime victory in an important game on Saturday night at Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza.
Adam Johnson scored the winning goal early in the extra session, granting Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (30-23-6-3) the win over the team directly ahead of them in the Atlantic Division's hunt for the Calder Cup Playoffs. Tristan Jarry put together another magnificent showing between the pipes, stopping 36 shots on the way to victory.
Jake Lucchini's first AHL goal snapped a longstanding scoreless tie at 16:25 of the second period. Jimmy Hayes picked the pocket of one of the Bruins in the neutral zone, leading to a two-on-one rush with Lucchini. Hayes' initial shot was denied, but the rookie drove to the net and stuffed in the rebound, creating a 1-0 lead for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
Providence tied things up when Ryan Fitzgerald fished a loose puck from behind Jarry and pushed it across the goal line midway through the third period.
The Bruins nearly went ahead late in regulation with a flurry of A-1 scoring chances, but Jarry turned them all aside, including an acrobatic, pin-wheel denial of Jakub Zboril with roughly two minutes left.
After Jarry stonewalled Providence's second shot of overtime, Ethan Prow delivered a pin-point pass to Johnson, who was flying at full speed through the neutral zone. Johnson muscled his way past a Bruins defender before hoisting a perfectly placed backhand shot under the crossbar for the game-winner and his 18th tally of the season.
Zane McIntyre recorded 26 stops in the overtime loss for the Bruins.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's next game is tomorrow, Sunday, Mar. 17, against the Toronto Marlies. Toronto's first and only visit to Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza this season is also a Kids Free Sunday, with children aged 14 and under eligible to attend the game free of charge with the paid purchase of an adult ticket. Puck drop between the Penguins and Marlies is scheduled for 3:05 p.m.
Individual tickets for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton home games can be purchased at the Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza box office, through all Ticketmaster outlets, or by contacting the Penguins' offices at (570) 208-7367. Season ticket packages for the 20th season of Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins hockey, including full season, 12-game and Flexbook plans, are available by reaching out to the Penguins directly at (570) 208-7367.
Fans can also keep up with the Penguins through the AHL's brand new high definition streaming service, AHLTV. Subscriptions for AHLTV, which include live and archived games, begin at just $79.99 for the entire 2018-19 regular season. Fans can visit theahl.com/AHLTV now to register for a free AHLTV account and purchase 2018-19 subscriptions.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 16, 2019
- Griffins Top Admirals with 3-2 Shootout Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Drop Saturday Clash with Tucson, 5-2 - Stockton Heat
- Chris Conner Wins It for Lehigh Valley as Time Expires in Wild Finish - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Division-Leading Wolves Thrash San Antonio - Chicago Wolves
- McKenzie, Tynan Lead Wolves Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Rocket Score Five Powerplay Goals in 6-5 Shooutout Loss to Senators - Laval Rocket
- Gropp and Huska Lead Wolf Pack Charge over Utica - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sens Nudge Past Laval in Shootout - Belleville Senators
- Bernier matches career high with Bridgeport's lone goal in Saturday loss - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Roll Past Devils, 4-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Salvage Point in SO Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- Bears Blow Past Sound Tigers, 5-1 - Hershey Bears
- Monsters Earn Point in 3-2 Overtime Loss to IceHogs - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Clawed by Wolf Pack - Utica Comets
- Penguins Earn 2-1 Overtime Win over Providence - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Devils Lose to Crunch, 4-1 - Binghamton Devils
- P-Bruins Get a Point, But Fall in OT 2-1 to Penguins - Providence Bruins
- Amerks Suffer Second Straight Loss in Charlotte - Rochester Americans
- Checkers Pick up Season Sweep of Rochester - Charlotte Checkers
- IceHogs Sign Defenseman Dmitry Osipov to PTO - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Edged by Red-Hot Eagles, 3-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- Win Streak Reaches Nine with 3-2 Triumph over San Jose - Colorado Eagles
- Stars Recall Goaltender Colton Point - Texas Stars
- Flyers Recall Justin Bailey from Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Marlies Road Swing Continues in Lehigh - Toronto Marlies
- Game #56 Preview: Tucson at Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- Get Behind the Sens as the Team Pushes to Secure Its Spot in the Calder Cup Playoffs - Belleville Senators
- Stockton Looks to Bounce Back against Tucson - Stockton Heat
- Tomkins Reassigned to Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- First Place Condors Host Star Wars Night Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Rocket, March 16 - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Face Bears, T-Birds this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Sound Tigers at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Roadrunners Snap Skid with 3-1 Win over Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- Late Push Falls Short in OT - Manitoba Moose
- Iowa Rides Power Play to 6-3 Victory - Iowa Wild
- Heat Drop Defensive Battle to Tucson, 3-1 - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.