Roadrunners Snap Skid with 3-1 Win over Stockton
The Roadrunners earned themselves a much-needed boost on Friday night, topping the Stockton Heat by a 3-1 count at Stockton Arena.
The win snapped the team's franchise-long seven-game losing streak (0-6-1-0), including a run of three consecutive defeats on the road. Tucson's offense combined to score three goals for the first time in seven games, and for just the third time in its past 17.
Tucson improved to 4-3-0-0 on the year against Stockton, with the eighth and final regular season meeting between the teams slated to take place Saturday night.
Adin Hill, playing in his 100th game in a Roadrunners uniform, put forth yet another solid performance, stopping 25 of the 26 shots he faced - holding Stockton's top-ranked offense to just one goal.
"It was a big game after the losing skid there," he said. "It was huge for us to come into Stockton tonight, a tough building, and come out with two points."
Just past the midway mark of the first period, Robbie Russo connected with a slap shot after intercepting a Stockton clearing attempt, beating Jon Gillies with a laser low to the blocker side.
Michael Chaput, credited with the secondary assist, registered his first point in a Roadrunners uniform.
The Heat struck to tie the game 1-1 five minutes into the second period.
With less than five minutes remaining in the middle frame, Lane Pederson, after winning an offensive zone draw, established positioning in front of Stockton's net and redirected a Jalen Smereck shot into the net, giving the Roadrunners a 2-1 lead.
For Pederson, it was his team-leading 15th goal of the season.
Smereck's primary assist was his third-career AHL point and his first since April 15, 2017, when he registered a goal and an assist against the Heat in the very same building.
Michael Bunting padded the Roadrunners' lead with 41 seconds left on the clock, tipping home an empty net tally.
"That was huge," Smereck said of the win. "We definitely wanted to get out of that slump and get rolling before the playoffs. I think the biggest thing for us is we just stuck with it, we kept playing our game, we didn't get away from it and [Hill] did a great job in net. We just stuck together out there."
The teams will meet for a rematch on Saturday night at Stockton Arena, where the puck is scheduled to drop just after 6:00 PM PST.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 16, 2019
- Griffins Top Admirals with 3-2 Shootout Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Drop Saturday Clash with Tucson, 5-2 - Stockton Heat
- Chris Conner Wins It for Lehigh Valley as Time Expires in Wild Finish - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Division-Leading Wolves Thrash San Antonio - Chicago Wolves
- McKenzie, Tynan Lead Wolves Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Rocket Score Five Powerplay Goals in 6-5 Shooutout Loss to Senators - Laval Rocket
- Gropp and Huska Lead Wolf Pack Charge over Utica - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sens Nudge Past Laval in Shootout - Belleville Senators
- Bernier matches career high with Bridgeport's lone goal in Saturday loss - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Roll Past Devils, 4-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Salvage Point in SO Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- Bears Blow Past Sound Tigers, 5-1 - Hershey Bears
- Monsters Earn Point in 3-2 Overtime Loss to IceHogs - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Clawed by Wolf Pack - Utica Comets
- Penguins Earn 2-1 Overtime Win over Providence - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Devils Lose to Crunch, 4-1 - Binghamton Devils
- P-Bruins Get a Point, But Fall in OT 2-1 to Penguins - Providence Bruins
- Amerks Suffer Second Straight Loss in Charlotte - Rochester Americans
- Checkers Pick up Season Sweep of Rochester - Charlotte Checkers
- IceHogs Sign Defenseman Dmitry Osipov to PTO - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Edged by Red-Hot Eagles, 3-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- Win Streak Reaches Nine with 3-2 Triumph over San Jose - Colorado Eagles
- Stars Recall Goaltender Colton Point - Texas Stars
- Flyers Recall Justin Bailey from Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Marlies Road Swing Continues in Lehigh - Toronto Marlies
- Game #56 Preview: Tucson at Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- Get Behind the Sens as the Team Pushes to Secure Its Spot in the Calder Cup Playoffs - Belleville Senators
- Stockton Looks to Bounce Back against Tucson - Stockton Heat
- Tomkins Reassigned to Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- First Place Condors Host Star Wars Night Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Rocket, March 16 - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Face Bears, T-Birds this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Sound Tigers at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Roadrunners Snap Skid with 3-1 Win over Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- Late Push Falls Short in OT - Manitoba Moose
- Iowa Rides Power Play to 6-3 Victory - Iowa Wild
- Heat Drop Defensive Battle to Tucson, 3-1 - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tucson Roadrunners Stories
- Roadrunners Announce Opening Night and Additional Dates for 2019-20
- Hockey Continues to Grow with Roadrunners in Tucson
- Pro Footing Found in Tucson; the Roles, Rise, and Reviews of Four Rookies
- Roadrunners Re-Sign Kelly Klima to One-Year Contract
- The Practices Pederson Pushes and His Stellar Sophomore Season