Crunch Roll Past Devils, 4-1
SYRACUSE, N.Y. - Th Syracuse Crunch potted three unanswered goals as the team rolled past the Binghamton Devils, 4-1, tonight at the War Memorial Arena.
Alex Volkov recorded two goals on the night to help push the Crunch to 40-17-4-2 on the season. Syracuse took the 10-game season series against Binghamton, 9-1-0-0.
Goaltender Martin Ouellette stopped 17-of-18 in net for the Crunch for his third win of the season. Evan Cormier turned aside 19-of-22 between the pipes for the Devils. Syracuse converted on 1-of-3 power play opportunities and went 4-for-5 on the penalty kill.
The Crunch opened scoring with a power-play goal 4:02 into the game. Carter Verhaeghe threw a cross-zone feed for Alex Barré-Boulet to one-time from the right circle. His shot was stopped, but Andy Andreoff was in front to clean up the rebound.
Syracuse added two more in the second period to go up by three. Just 1:59 into the frame, Volkov snuck a shot five-hole from a sharp angle near the bottom of the left circle. Assists went to Gabriel Dumont and Jonne Tammela. Verhaeghe then picked up the puck in the neutral zone, deked around defenders and flipped a backhander past Cormier as he cut across the slot. Mitchell Stephens and Hubert Labrie tallied points on the goal.
The Devils finally stole one back on the man-advantage with 36 seconds remaining in the middle stanza. Nick Saracino chipped the puck out from behind the net for Ryan Schmelzer to send home. Brett Seney picked up the secondary helper.
With 58 seconds remaining in the game, Volkov potted his second of the night into an empty net with the help of Andreoff and Ben Thomas to secure a Crunch win.
The Crunch travel to face the Charlotte Checkers on Tuesday at 7 p.m.
Single game tickets and packages for the 2018-19 season are on sale now and can be purchased in person at the Crunch office located inside the War Memorial Arena at 800 S. State St. in Syracuse, by calling the office at 315-473-4444 or online through Ticketmaster. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch) using #SyrCrunch.
Crunchables: With 69 points (28g, 41a), Carter Verhaeghe is now tied for 10th for most points in a single season in franchise history...Verhaeghe leads the Crunch with 15 points (6g, 9a) and four multi-point performance against the Devils this season...The Crunch outscored the Devils, 39-15, in the 10-game season series.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 16, 2019
- Griffins Top Admirals with 3-2 Shootout Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Drop Saturday Clash with Tucson, 5-2 - Stockton Heat
- Chris Conner Wins It for Lehigh Valley as Time Expires in Wild Finish - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Division-Leading Wolves Thrash San Antonio - Chicago Wolves
- McKenzie, Tynan Lead Wolves Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Rocket Score Five Powerplay Goals in 6-5 Shooutout Loss to Senators - Laval Rocket
- Gropp and Huska Lead Wolf Pack Charge over Utica - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sens Nudge Past Laval in Shootout - Belleville Senators
- Bernier matches career high with Bridgeport's lone goal in Saturday loss - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Roll Past Devils, 4-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Salvage Point in SO Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- Bears Blow Past Sound Tigers, 5-1 - Hershey Bears
- Monsters Earn Point in 3-2 Overtime Loss to IceHogs - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Clawed by Wolf Pack - Utica Comets
- Penguins Earn 2-1 Overtime Win over Providence - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Devils Lose to Crunch, 4-1 - Binghamton Devils
- P-Bruins Get a Point, But Fall in OT 2-1 to Penguins - Providence Bruins
- Amerks Suffer Second Straight Loss in Charlotte - Rochester Americans
- Checkers Pick up Season Sweep of Rochester - Charlotte Checkers
- IceHogs Sign Defenseman Dmitry Osipov to PTO - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Edged by Red-Hot Eagles, 3-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- Win Streak Reaches Nine with 3-2 Triumph over San Jose - Colorado Eagles
- Stars Recall Goaltender Colton Point - Texas Stars
- Flyers Recall Justin Bailey from Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Marlies Road Swing Continues in Lehigh - Toronto Marlies
- Game #56 Preview: Tucson at Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- Get Behind the Sens as the Team Pushes to Secure Its Spot in the Calder Cup Playoffs - Belleville Senators
- Stockton Looks to Bounce Back against Tucson - Stockton Heat
- Tomkins Reassigned to Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- First Place Condors Host Star Wars Night Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Rocket, March 16 - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Face Bears, T-Birds this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Sound Tigers at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Roadrunners Snap Skid with 3-1 Win over Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- Late Push Falls Short in OT - Manitoba Moose
- Iowa Rides Power Play to 6-3 Victory - Iowa Wild
- Heat Drop Defensive Battle to Tucson, 3-1 - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.