Devils Lose to Crunch, 4-1
SYRACUSE - The Binghamton Devils were unable to work their way out of a 3-0 hole against the Sryacuse Crunch as they fell 4-1 on the road inside the Onondaga County War Memorial Arena, Saturday night.
Syracuse opened the scoring 4:02 into the first period while on the power play. Off the faceoff, Carter Verhaeghe pushed the puck into the right circle to Alex Barre-Boulet, who then sent a pass to Andy Andreoff alone in the crease. While falling, Andreoff lifted the puck past Evan Cormier to give the Crunch an early lead. Despite having a two-man advantage as well as a late four-minute power play, the Devils were unable to even the score and went into intermission trailing 1-0.
The Crunch extended their lead to two, just under two minutes into the middle period. Alexander Volkov took a pass from Gabriel Dumont in stride, cruised down the wing, and beat Cormier with a shot that deflected off Josh Jacobs' stick.
Syracuse added a third goal with 8:18 remaining in the period. Verhaeghe took a drop pass at center ice from Mitchell Stephens and entered the Devils zone with a full head of steam. Verhaeghe beat his defender, outwaited Cormier, and roofed a backhander into the net.
Ryan Schmelzer got the Devils on the board with 35 seconds remaining in the second period with a power play goal. Brett Seney and Nick Saracino won a battle behind the net and were able to push the puck out to Schmelzer in the crease. Schmelzer pounced on it and hammered it to the back of the open cage. Binghamton entered the second intermission trailing 3-1.
Syracuse added an empty-net goal late in the game for the 4-1 win. Cormier stopped 19 in the loss while Ouellette denied 17 for the win.
After two weeks on the road the Devils return home Friday, March 29 and Saturday, March 30. Friday against Springfield, the Devils have a special guest appearance from WWE Hall of Famer Mark Henry. Fans ca get a special VIP meet-and-greet package to hang out with the former World Heavyweight Champion. Then, Saturday is Superhero Night where fans can get a special Superhero Pack that comes with a FREE Devils Superhero Cape. Also, it's the final FREE postgame skate with the players. Call or text "TICKETS" to 607-722-7367.
Binghamton Devils full season memberships are now available for the 2019-20 season! Get great benefits such as FREE New Jersey Devils NHL tickets,exclusive access to Devils players, a brand new referral program, gift cards, and much more! For information on becoming a member, text "MEMBER" to 607-722-7367.
Images from this story
Binghamton Devils defenseman John Ramage delivers a blow to the Syracuse Crunch
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 16, 2019
- Griffins Top Admirals with 3-2 Shootout Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Drop Saturday Clash with Tucson, 5-2 - Stockton Heat
- Chris Conner Wins It for Lehigh Valley as Time Expires in Wild Finish - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Division-Leading Wolves Thrash San Antonio - Chicago Wolves
- McKenzie, Tynan Lead Wolves Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Rocket Score Five Powerplay Goals in 6-5 Shooutout Loss to Senators - Laval Rocket
- Gropp and Huska Lead Wolf Pack Charge over Utica - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sens Nudge Past Laval in Shootout - Belleville Senators
- Bernier matches career high with Bridgeport's lone goal in Saturday loss - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Roll Past Devils, 4-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Salvage Point in SO Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- Bears Blow Past Sound Tigers, 5-1 - Hershey Bears
- Monsters Earn Point in 3-2 Overtime Loss to IceHogs - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Clawed by Wolf Pack - Utica Comets
- Penguins Earn 2-1 Overtime Win over Providence - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Devils Lose to Crunch, 4-1 - Binghamton Devils
- P-Bruins Get a Point, But Fall in OT 2-1 to Penguins - Providence Bruins
- Amerks Suffer Second Straight Loss in Charlotte - Rochester Americans
- Checkers Pick up Season Sweep of Rochester - Charlotte Checkers
- IceHogs Sign Defenseman Dmitry Osipov to PTO - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Edged by Red-Hot Eagles, 3-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- Win Streak Reaches Nine with 3-2 Triumph over San Jose - Colorado Eagles
- Stars Recall Goaltender Colton Point - Texas Stars
- Flyers Recall Justin Bailey from Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Marlies Road Swing Continues in Lehigh - Toronto Marlies
- Game #56 Preview: Tucson at Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- Get Behind the Sens as the Team Pushes to Secure Its Spot in the Calder Cup Playoffs - Belleville Senators
- Stockton Looks to Bounce Back against Tucson - Stockton Heat
- Tomkins Reassigned to Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- First Place Condors Host Star Wars Night Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Rocket, March 16 - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Face Bears, T-Birds this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Sound Tigers at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Roadrunners Snap Skid with 3-1 Win over Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- Late Push Falls Short in OT - Manitoba Moose
- Iowa Rides Power Play to 6-3 Victory - Iowa Wild
- Heat Drop Defensive Battle to Tucson, 3-1 - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.