Game #56 Preview: Tucson at Stockton
Game #56 - Tucson (26-22-5-2) at Stockton (25-27-4-2)
6:00 PM PST, Stockton Arena, Stockton, California
Referees: #84 Jake Rekucki, #88 Chris Waterstradt
Linesmen: #21 Alexander Ledovskiy, #37 Brett Martin
The Roadrunners play the Stockton Heat tonight for the final time this regular season; the puck for the teams' concluding meeting is slated to drop just after 6:00 PM PST at Stockton Arena, where Tucson has strung together a 2-1-0-0 record this year.
With Friday night's 3-1 win, the Roadrunners snapped their franchise-long seven-game losing streak and scored three goals for the first time since that string of defeats began.
Overall, the Roadrunners come into the evening with a 4-3-0-0 record against the Heat. They'll look to clinch the season series tonight.
Michael Chaput, the Arizona Coyotes' trade-deadline acquisition from the Montreal Canadiens, recorded his first point in a Roadrunners uniform on Friday, credited with the secondary assist on Robbie Russo's game-opening tally.
Head Equipment Manager Eric Bechtol is fresh off of his 1,700th professional game, 191 of which have come in command of the Roadrunners' supply and gear operations. A firm congratulations to what's been an outstanding career with only more to come.
I don't get personal on this platform very often, that's not what you're here for, but I'd argue equipment staff as one of the, if not the toughest jobs in sports. The hours, the labor, the travel - to degrees some can't even fathom, not even me. Assistant Equipment Manager Ryan Andrus will be approaching a milestone of his own here in the coming weeks.
A day in their lives, and probably one of the easier ones, too: HERE
A busy night's ahead in the Pacific Division! All teams are scheduled to play except for the third-place San Diego Gulls. The Roadrunners are currently nine points behind the Colorado Eagles for the fourth and final playoff spot.
The Eagles play on the road at the San Jose Barracuda this afternoon at 1:15 PM PST - a game that holds much more weight in regard to the Roadrunners' situation than the contest between the Bakersfield Condors and Ontario Reign, which kicks off at 7:00 PM PST.
THREE THINGS GOTTA GET 3: For just the fourth time in their last 17 games Friday night, the Roadrunners scored at least three goals. They have gone 3-11-2-1 during that stretch, but to no surprise, are 3-0-1-0 in the four games they've hit or eclipsed the three-goal total. Stockton remains second worst in the AHL in goals-against, surrendering their opponents an average of 3.83 goals per game.
SMERECK IN STOCKTON: Jalen Smereck registered his first AHL point of the season Friday night, assisting on Lane Pederson's eventual game-winning goal upon directing a shot into traffic. Stockton Arena was also the site of Smereck's first pro point, which also happened to be his first pro goal (below), joining a rush and beating Mason McDonald in the Roadrunners' 6-5 overtime victory over the Heat on April 15, 2017. All three (1G, 2A) of Smereck's AHL points have come in Stockton; can he add to that total tonight?
BACK-TO-BACK: While back-to-back games are nothing new for the Roadrunners, as is the norm on just about any given weekend, back-to-back wins haven't been too common lately. Tucson has not strung together consecutive wins since January 21 and 23, when they beat the Texas Stars twice at Tucson Arena. The Roadrunners have won two or more games in succession on eight occasions this season, they'll look to make it nine tonight.
NUMBER TO KNOW THIRTY: Michael Bunting registered his 30th point of the season on Friday night with his empty-net finisher with 41 seconds left to play, securing the Roadrunners' win. He became the fifth player to record at least 30 points with the Roadrunners this season.
WE'RE DOING IT LIVE You can catch tonight's action at Brother John's Beer Bourbon & BBQ, the official watch party location for all Roadrunners road games during the 2018-19 season. A live telecast is available on AHLTV; Roadrunners play-by-play broadcaster Adrian Denny will have the radio call on AM 1450 Fox Sports Tucson, with coverage starting at 5:45 PM.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 16, 2019
- Griffins Top Admirals with 3-2 Shootout Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Drop Saturday Clash with Tucson, 5-2 - Stockton Heat
- Chris Conner Wins It for Lehigh Valley as Time Expires in Wild Finish - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Division-Leading Wolves Thrash San Antonio - Chicago Wolves
- McKenzie, Tynan Lead Wolves Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Rocket Score Five Powerplay Goals in 6-5 Shooutout Loss to Senators - Laval Rocket
- Gropp and Huska Lead Wolf Pack Charge over Utica - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sens Nudge Past Laval in Shootout - Belleville Senators
- Bernier matches career high with Bridgeport's lone goal in Saturday loss - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Roll Past Devils, 4-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Salvage Point in SO Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- Bears Blow Past Sound Tigers, 5-1 - Hershey Bears
- Monsters Earn Point in 3-2 Overtime Loss to IceHogs - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Clawed by Wolf Pack - Utica Comets
- Penguins Earn 2-1 Overtime Win over Providence - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Devils Lose to Crunch, 4-1 - Binghamton Devils
- P-Bruins Get a Point, But Fall in OT 2-1 to Penguins - Providence Bruins
- Amerks Suffer Second Straight Loss in Charlotte - Rochester Americans
- Checkers Pick up Season Sweep of Rochester - Charlotte Checkers
- IceHogs Sign Defenseman Dmitry Osipov to PTO - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Edged by Red-Hot Eagles, 3-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- Win Streak Reaches Nine with 3-2 Triumph over San Jose - Colorado Eagles
- Stars Recall Goaltender Colton Point - Texas Stars
- Flyers Recall Justin Bailey from Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Marlies Road Swing Continues in Lehigh - Toronto Marlies
- Game #56 Preview: Tucson at Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- Get Behind the Sens as the Team Pushes to Secure Its Spot in the Calder Cup Playoffs - Belleville Senators
- Stockton Looks to Bounce Back against Tucson - Stockton Heat
- Tomkins Reassigned to Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- First Place Condors Host Star Wars Night Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Rocket, March 16 - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Face Bears, T-Birds this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Sound Tigers at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Roadrunners Snap Skid with 3-1 Win over Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- Late Push Falls Short in OT - Manitoba Moose
- Iowa Rides Power Play to 6-3 Victory - Iowa Wild
- Heat Drop Defensive Battle to Tucson, 3-1 - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.