Ouellette Outstanding as 'Blades Clinch Wawa Sunshine Cup
ORLANDO, FL - Martin Ouellette was absolutely perfect in goal for the Florida Everblades (36-11-1-4, 77 pts), leading the team to a 4-0 shutout victory over the rival Orlando Solar Bears (23-25-5-1, 52 pts) Wednesday night at the Amway Center. With the result, the Florida Everblades have officially clinched victory in the battle for the Wawa Sunshine Cup with a 16 to 6 points lead. The Wawa Sunshine Cup is awarded to team with the most points in the regular season head-to-head matchup.
Quentin Shore would give the 'Blades a 1-0 lead midway through the first period. Hustling for the puck, Lorentz managed to corral the loose puck behind the Orlando net. Lorentz found Shore who quickly wristed the puck off the pad of Mackenzie Skapski and into the net.
In the second period, Brett Bulmer capitalized on a rebound to give the Everblades a 2-0 advantage. Steven Lorentz brought the puck into the left wing circle before firing a shot off of the body of Mackenzie Skapski. Bulmer picked up the rebound in the slot and hammered the second chance opportunity into the back of the net.
Joe Cox would clinch the game midway through the third period as he gave the 'Blades a 3-0 lead. Michael Kirkpatrick used a two-on-one advantage to find a wide-open Joe Cox at the side of the crease. Cox received the puck and quickly lifted his shot high into the top corner of the net.
In full control of the contest, the 'Blades would add to their lead late in the third period. Bulmer added a second goal on the night when he ripped a shot that would deflect off an Orlando defensemen and carom into the net as Florida earns the 4-0 victory. The 'Blades also clinch the Wawa Sunshine Cup** () for a third straight season. Lorentz added an assist on the fourth goal to record a career high three points on the night.
Martin Ouellette was perfect all night long in goal for the Everblades and earns his third shutout victory this season after stopping all 38 of the shots he faced. Mackenzie Skapski suffers the loss in goal for Orlando after allowing four goals on 30 shots.
The Everblades will once again faceoff against the Wawa Sunshine Cup rival Orlando Solar Bears this Friday night at Germain Arena. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. Eastern Time. Tickets for the contest can be purchased at the Florida Community Bank Box Office located at Germain Arena, at any Ticketmaster outlet, or online at ** www.ticketmaster.com utflorida+everblades&qflorida+everblades)
Fans can also catch the game broadcast on WJBX News, Talk & More on 101.5-FM.104.3-FM, 770-AM or by ** CLICKING HERE (http://wjbxnewstalk.com/listen-live/) . Fans can also watch the game online at ** ECHL.TV (http://echl.neulion.com/echl/home)
Upcoming Home Games
Friday, February 23, vs. Orlando, 7:30 p.m. Kids eat free in the Breakaway Sports Pub with the purchase of an adult entree! All-you-can-eat bottomless popcorn all night long!
Saturday, February 24, vs. Jacksonville, 7:00 p.m. Canadian Night presented by TD Bank. Tailgate party from 5-7 p.m. featuring live music and bounce houses for the kids.
Wednesday, February 28, vs. Jacksonville, 7:30 p.m. $2 Wednesday! Fans can enjoy $2 hot dogs, $2 draft beers and $2 wines all night long in the concourse! College students receive a $5 tickets with valid college ID.
Purchase Single Game Tickets at the Florida Community Bank Box Office located at Germain Arena, or online via Ticketmaster by ** CLICKING HERE (https://www.ticketmaster.com/artist/833999?tm_linktm_homeA_header_search)
2017-18 Ticket Packages are Currently on Sale! Flexible partial plans are available. These packages will best fit your schedule and budget! To view pricing and benefits of all available ticket packages ** CLICK HERE (http://www.floridaeverblades.com/everblades-season-tickets/benefit/)
SPECIAL OFFER! Purchase a new ticket package for the 2017-18 season and receive a $20 gift card to Ford's Garage!
Discounted Group Tickets: Bring your group of 10 or more to a game at a discounted price! Group tickets are available for all home games. Fundraising opportunities are also available. For more information on group tickets, call 239-948-7825, or stop by the Everblades offices at Germain Arena Monday thru Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Images from this story
Florida Everblades Goaltender Martin Ouellette
(Kevin Bires Photography)
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 21, 2018
- Colorado Claims Goaltending Duel in 2-1 Shootout Win - Colorado Eagles
- Solar Bears Blanked by Ouellette, Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Earn Point But Fall 4-3 in Shootout - Adirondack Thunder
- Turcs and Tommy Lead Railers to 4-3 Shootout Road Win in Adirondack - Worcester Railers HC
- Irving's Four Goals Pace Wings' Improbable Comeback Win - Kalamazoo Wings
- Irving Leads Shocking Comeback for K-Wings - Wheeling Nailers
- Ouellette Outstanding as 'Blades Clinch Wawa Sunshine Cup - Florida Everblades
- Game Day Storylines - at Rapid City - Idaho Steelheads
- Hanna Reassigned to Steelheads - Idaho Steelheads
- IceMen to Fundraise for Stoneman Douglas Victims' Fund - Jacksonville IceMen
- Watson Called-Up to AHL's San Jose Barracuda - Colorado Eagles
- ECHL Transactions - February 21 - ECHL
- Thunder Make Roster Moves - Adirondack Thunder
- Mavericks Plan to Honor Tom Wagstaff, Bob Klem this Weekend - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears vs. Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers Add Three Players Prior to Tilt in Kalamazoo - Wheeling Nailers
- Gameday - Adirondack (29-20-2-2) at Worcester (22-21-4-3) - Adirondack Thunder
- Nailers at Wings Game Day Snap Shot, February 21 - Wheeling Nailers
- Fuel Receive Forward Logan Nelson in Trade with Komets - Indy Fuel
- Komets Deal Nelson to Indy for Defenseman Cortese - Fort Wayne Komets
- Gudbranson Reassigned to Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Federico Sinks Admirals with Late Goal - South Carolina Stingrays
- Winning Streak Stopped by Eagles - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Everblades Announce 2017-18 Season Ending Roster
- Eagles Force a Decisive Game 7 at Germain Arena with 4-2 Win
- Everblades Take Series Lead with 5-0 Win in Game 5
- Young's Overtime Goal Evens Series in a 7-6 Game 4 Thriller
- Heard's Late Goal Propels Everblades to 4-3 Win in Game 2