Oilers Defeat Thunder in Lone Preseason Game
WICHITA, KS - Four separate goal scorers contributed to give the Tulsa Oilers a victory in their lone preseason contest.
The first period was even as both teams got their feet wet. Wichita's Ryan Van Stralen opened the scoring, roofing a loose puck 5:02 into the game. Roman Ammirato evened the score with just under two minutes left in the opening period with a top-corner shot. Sam Wilbur factored into the goal with the secondary assist and a crucial screen on goaltender Eric Hartzell.
Neither team found the back of the net in the second period, but Tulsa gained some momentum by outshooting the Thunder 9-4. Ian Keserich replaced Devin Williams and Stuart Skinner replaced Hartzell at the halfway point of the game.
Scott Henegar capitalized on the momentum Tulsa gained in the middle frame, scoring just 41 seconds into the third period. Last season's leading scorer Charlie Sampair tallied the first power play goal of the game, walking the puck from the corner before tucking it through Skinner's five-hole. Scott Cutthrell scored his first in an Oilers' sweater less than a minute later - Ammirato and Wilbur both picked up their second points of the night on the goal. Colin Jacobs cut the Oilers lead in half with 1:41 left, but it wasn't enough, and Tulsa edged out their Mountain Division rival.
The Oilers open the 2018-19 season at the BOK Center on Saturday, October 13th against the Idaho Steelheads. Fans can still buy tickets for opening night by calling 918-632-7825 or by visiting TulsaOilers.com.
Images from this story
Tulsa Oilers take a shot against the Wichita Thunder
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 6, 2018
- White Tops Blue in Intersquad Scrimmage - Jacksonville IceMen
- Royals Run Away from Thunder in Third, 6-3 - Reading Royals
- O'Connor Backstops Nailers to Shootout Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Wings Fall in Penalty Filled Affair - Kalamazoo Wings
- Railers Sink Mariners 5-0 in Lone Tune up Before Regular Season - Worcester Railers HC
- Adirondack Concludes Preseason with Loss in Reading - Adirondack Thunder
- Blues Send Fitzpatrick to Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Oilers Defeat Thunder in Lone Preseason Game - Tulsa Oilers
- Tulsa Takes Preseason Contest in Wichita, 4-2 - Wichita Thunder
- Goaltender Assigned to Jax - Jacksonville IceMen
- Game Preview: Solar Bears Wrap up Preseason Tonight at Florida - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - October 6 - ECHL
- Luukko, Komm Returned to Royals on Loan from Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Nailers at Cyclones Game Day Snap Shot, October 6 - Wheeling Nailers
- Mariners Open Preseason this Weekend in New Hampshire - Maine Mariners
- Americans Look to Sweep the Preseason - Allen Americans
- Thunder Plays Lone Exhibition Game Today vs. Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Preview: 'Blades Host Solar Bears to Conclude Preseason - Florida Everblades
- Goalie Mason McDonald Re-Assigned to Kansas City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Stingrays Break Open in Second Period, Down Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Grizzlies Fall in Preseason Opener - Utah Grizzlies
- Olson Lifts Solar Bears to 5-4 Win over Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Adirondack Drops Preseason Opener 6-3 to Reading - Adirondack Thunder
- Americans Score Four Unanswered to Beat Kansas City - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.