Olson Lifts Solar Bears to 5-4 Win over Everblades
ESTERO, Fla. - Trevor Olson broke a 4-4 tie with 16.6 seconds remaining in regulation to lift the Orlando Solar Bears (2-0-0-0) to a 5-4 victory over the Florida Everblades (0-1-0-0) on Friday night at Hertz Arena.
Click here for the box score.
Etienne Boutet opened the scoring for Orlando at 6:55 of the first period with a wrist shot that beat Jamie Phillips, with Olson and Ryan Siiro picking up assists on the goal.
Tommy Thompson found the equalizer on the power play for Florida at 13:23 by redirecting a point shot past Corbin Boes.
The Everblades took a two-goal lead in the second period with goals from Adam Gilmour (0:28) and a shorthanded marker from Joe Cox (4:03) that made it 3-1 in favor of the hosts.
Orlando responded with a three-goal run of its own, as Dylan Fitze (6:09) and Cody Donaghey (6:32) scored just 23 seconds apart to tie the score at 3-3, and Vincent Dunn snapped a shot over the shoulder of Phillips at 12:21 to restore a 4-3 advantage.
Mathieu Foget pulled the Everblades even at 11:04 of the third period with Florida's second shorthanded goal. The game appeared headed for overtime, but in the final seconds of regulation Siiro carried the puck into the offensive zone and fired a shot that rebounded to the side of the Florida net, allowing Olson to take several hacks at the puck before finally jamming it past Phillips at 19:43.
Boes picked up win with 22 saves; Phillips took the loss with 29 stops.
Olson's three points (1g-2a) and +4 led Orlando.
Corey Kalk paced the Solar Bears with six shots on goal.
Orlando concludes its preseason schedule on Saturday, Oct. 6 with a rematch against the Everblades at 7 p.m. at Hertz Arena.
1) Trevor Olson - ORL
2) Adam Gilmour - FLA
3) Patrick McCarron - FLA
2018-19 Single-Game Tickets Now on Sale:
Single-game tickets for the Orlando Solar Bears 2018-19 regular season home schedule are now on sale. Fans can purchase single-game tickets for as little as $15 at the Amway Center box office, or online at Ticketmaster.com.
2018-19 Season Ticket Memberships:
Season Ticket Memberships for the seventh season of ECHL Orlando Solar Bears hockey are now on sale. Full and Half-Season memberships are both available, starting as low as $270. For more information, call (407) 951-8200 or visit orlandosolarbearshockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 6, 2018
- White Tops Blue in Intersquad Scrimmage - Jacksonville IceMen
- Royals Run Away from Thunder in Third, 6-3 - Reading Royals
- O'Connor Backstops Nailers to Shootout Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Wings Fall in Penalty Filled Affair - Kalamazoo Wings
- Railers Sink Mariners 5-0 in Lone Tune up Before Regular Season - Worcester Railers HC
- Adirondack Concludes Preseason with Loss in Reading - Adirondack Thunder
- Blues Send Fitzpatrick to Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Oilers Defeat Thunder in Lone Preseason Game - Tulsa Oilers
- Tulsa Takes Preseason Contest in Wichita, 4-2 - Wichita Thunder
- Goaltender Assigned to Jax - Jacksonville IceMen
- Game Preview: Solar Bears Wrap up Preseason Tonight at Florida - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - October 6 - ECHL
- Luukko, Komm Returned to Royals on Loan from Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Nailers at Cyclones Game Day Snap Shot, October 6 - Wheeling Nailers
- Mariners Open Preseason this Weekend in New Hampshire - Maine Mariners
- Americans Look to Sweep the Preseason - Allen Americans
- Thunder Plays Lone Exhibition Game Today vs. Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Preview: 'Blades Host Solar Bears to Conclude Preseason - Florida Everblades
- Goalie Mason McDonald Re-Assigned to Kansas City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Stingrays Break Open in Second Period, Down Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Grizzlies Fall in Preseason Opener - Utah Grizzlies
- Olson Lifts Solar Bears to 5-4 Win over Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Adirondack Drops Preseason Opener 6-3 to Reading - Adirondack Thunder
- Americans Score Four Unanswered to Beat Kansas City - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.