O'Connor Backstops Nailers to Shootout Win
CINCINNATI, OH - The Wheeling Nailers ended the preseason on a positive note on Saturday night, as they exacted revenge on the Cincinnati Cyclones at U.S. Bank Arena. Matt O'Connor was perfect on 23 shots during the final 34:32 of game action, then went on to make four saves in the shootout. Josh Couturier and Mark Petaccio both scored in regulation for the Nailers, before Mike Fazio netted the winning marker in round five of a 3-2 road triumph.
Both teams lit the lamp in the first period, with the goals coming 34 seconds apart from each other. Wheeling was first on the board at the 8:14 mark, courtesy of a power play strike. Robbie Hall reached out to keep the play alive at the blueline, deflecting the puck over to Josh Couturier on the left side. Couturier sailed a wrist shot through traffic and into the cage. Cincinnati's response also came from a defenseman. Dominic Zombo raced in with a backhander, which was stopped, but the rebound kicked out to Arvin Atwal, who slammed it home.
The Cyclones scored an early goal in the middle frame to take the lead. Devante Stephens' shot zipped wide of the net, but Spencer Dorowicz quickly fed the loose puck into the slot for Alex Roos, who stashed a shot into the left side of the net. With 1:30 left in the period, the Nailers pulled even. Mark Petaccio made a beautiful steal in the slot, then slid the puck from his forehand to his backhand, faking out Michael Houser for the tally.
Neither team was able to dent the twine in the third period or overtime, sending the tilt to a shootout. Arvin Atwal scored in the second round for Cincinnati and Eliot Grauer lit the lamp in the third round for Wheeling, as extra rounds were necessary. Matt O'Connor denied Alex Roos in round five, setting the table for Mike Fazio, who converted on the winner for the Nailers.
Matt O'Connor was spectacular in goal for Wheeling, stopping all 23 shots he faced in the game, as well as four of five shootout attempts. Evan Cowley was 17-of-19 as the starter. Michael Houser took the shootout loss with 14 saves on 15 shots in the game, following Jonas Johansson, who turned away nine of the ten shots he faced.
The Wheeling Nailers will begin the 2018-19 regular season on October 13th, when they visit the Norfolk Admirals. Wheeling's first home game will take place on November 3rd against the Indy Fuel. The Wheeling Nailers, considered one of the top things to do in Wheeling, West Virginia, provide affordable family entertainment for fans throughout the Ohio Valley. For information on season tickets, group tickets, flex plans, and more, call (304) 234-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 6, 2018
- White Tops Blue in Intersquad Scrimmage - Jacksonville IceMen
- Royals Run Away from Thunder in Third, 6-3 - Reading Royals
- O'Connor Backstops Nailers to Shootout Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Wings Fall in Penalty Filled Affair - Kalamazoo Wings
- Railers Sink Mariners 5-0 in Lone Tune up Before Regular Season - Worcester Railers HC
- Adirondack Concludes Preseason with Loss in Reading - Adirondack Thunder
- Blues Send Fitzpatrick to Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Oilers Defeat Thunder in Lone Preseason Game - Tulsa Oilers
- Tulsa Takes Preseason Contest in Wichita, 4-2 - Wichita Thunder
- Goaltender Assigned to Jax - Jacksonville IceMen
- Game Preview: Solar Bears Wrap up Preseason Tonight at Florida - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - October 6 - ECHL
- Luukko, Komm Returned to Royals on Loan from Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Nailers at Cyclones Game Day Snap Shot, October 6 - Wheeling Nailers
- Mariners Open Preseason this Weekend in New Hampshire - Maine Mariners
- Americans Look to Sweep the Preseason - Allen Americans
- Thunder Plays Lone Exhibition Game Today vs. Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Preview: 'Blades Host Solar Bears to Conclude Preseason - Florida Everblades
- Goalie Mason McDonald Re-Assigned to Kansas City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Stingrays Break Open in Second Period, Down Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Grizzlies Fall in Preseason Opener - Utah Grizzlies
- Olson Lifts Solar Bears to 5-4 Win over Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Adirondack Drops Preseason Opener 6-3 to Reading - Adirondack Thunder
- Americans Score Four Unanswered to Beat Kansas City - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wheeling Nailers Stories
- Nailers Rally Late, But Fall Short in Norfolk to Open Season
- Nailers at Admirals Game Day Snap Shot, October 13
- Nailers Announce 2018-19 Opening Roster
- Alternate Jersey, Hall of Fame Class Highlight 2018 State of the Team Event
- O'Connor Backstops Nailers to Shootout Win