Stingrays Break Open in Second Period, Down Swamp Rabbits
NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. - Completely even halfway through regulation turned uneven past it. The South Carolina Stingrays exploded for four goals in the second period, and rode the offensive wave the rest of the way as the Rays beat the Greenville Swamp Rabbits 6-4 on Friday night at the Carolina Ice Palace. It was the Swamp Rabbits' second and final preseason tune-up ahead of Opening Night next Friday, October 12.
Bo Brauer, Jake Kamrass, Tim Davison and Christian Horn all scored for the Stingrays within a four minute, 48 second window that took the score from 2-2 to 6-3. Jake Trask's goal at 14:45 looked to stop the slide at 5-3, but Horn connected just 24 seconds later to re-establish South Carolina's lead.
It was the Stingrays who held two separate leads prior to that in the first period. Davison got the scoring started with a seeing-eye shot on the power play after Caleb Cameron was sent to the box for tripping. However, much like the identity of this game in particular, fast and furious goal scoring, it took just 30 seconds for Greenville to respond.
Out of the corner, Timmy Moore found J.T. Henke all alone in front, and his shot went between the pads of South Carolina goaltender Parker Milner to tie the score at one.
The second swath of goals did not take very long to materialize either. After Matt Pohlkamp found a soft spot in the Swamp Rabbits' defensive zone and gave the Stingrays the 2-1 lead, just five minutes later, it was Stanislav Dzakhov on the feed from Jarrid Privitera, getting Greenville even at two apiece.
Down 6-3 heading into the third, Greenville staged a push. Early in the third, Stathis Soumelidis deflected a point shot from Kyle Chatham and pulled the Swamp Rabbits back within two.
Devin Buffalo and Jordan Ruby split time in the start for Greenville. Parker Milner went the distance for the Stingrays.
The Swamp Rabbits return to action on Friday October 12 for Opening Night. Secure your spot in Greenville hockey history by going to SwampRabbits.com.
Get Social: Follow the Swamp Rabbits and get behind-the-scenes coverage like never before on the team's official Facebook ) and Twitter ) pages!
Contact a Swamp Rabbits Account Executive at 864.674.PUCK (7825) for information on 2018-19 ticket plans, special group rates and hospitality opportunities and secure your seats today!
Images from this story
Jon Jutzi of the Greenville Swamp Rabbits takes a shot against the South Carolina Stingrays
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 6, 2018
- White Tops Blue in Intersquad Scrimmage - Jacksonville IceMen
- Royals Run Away from Thunder in Third, 6-3 - Reading Royals
- O'Connor Backstops Nailers to Shootout Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Wings Fall in Penalty Filled Affair - Kalamazoo Wings
- Railers Sink Mariners 5-0 in Lone Tune up Before Regular Season - Worcester Railers HC
- Adirondack Concludes Preseason with Loss in Reading - Adirondack Thunder
- Blues Send Fitzpatrick to Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Oilers Defeat Thunder in Lone Preseason Game - Tulsa Oilers
- Tulsa Takes Preseason Contest in Wichita, 4-2 - Wichita Thunder
- Goaltender Assigned to Jax - Jacksonville IceMen
- Game Preview: Solar Bears Wrap up Preseason Tonight at Florida - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - October 6 - ECHL
- Luukko, Komm Returned to Royals on Loan from Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Nailers at Cyclones Game Day Snap Shot, October 6 - Wheeling Nailers
- Mariners Open Preseason this Weekend in New Hampshire - Maine Mariners
- Americans Look to Sweep the Preseason - Allen Americans
- Thunder Plays Lone Exhibition Game Today vs. Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Preview: 'Blades Host Solar Bears to Conclude Preseason - Florida Everblades
- Goalie Mason McDonald Re-Assigned to Kansas City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Stingrays Break Open in Second Period, Down Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Grizzlies Fall in Preseason Opener - Utah Grizzlies
- Olson Lifts Solar Bears to 5-4 Win over Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Adirondack Drops Preseason Opener 6-3 to Reading - Adirondack Thunder
- Americans Score Four Unanswered to Beat Kansas City - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.