Luukko, Komm Returned to Royals on Loan from Lehigh Valley
Reading, PA - Reading Royals, proud ECHL affiliate of the Philadelphia Flyers and Lehigh Valley Phantoms, announced Saturday defenseman Nick Luukko and goaltender Branden Komm have been returned on loan to the Royals from Lehigh Valley. The pair returns to Reading as the Royals host Adirondack in their final preseason game at Santander Arena Saturday at 7:00 p.m. Admission is free with the donation of a canned food item. The Royals open the season on Sat., Oct. 13 at 7:00 p.m. vs. Worcester with a cowbell giveaway to the first 6,500 fans, presented by Met-Ed.
Luukko is preparing for his fourth professional season; all have been with the Flyers organization. The West Chester, PA native is one of four Royals to skate in at least 200 games with Reading, ranking fourth in team history with 202 games played.
Last campaign, Luukko served as Royals alternate captain, skated in 67 games and produced a career-high 21 points (5g). He also played in one game for the Phantoms.
A former 2010 sixth-round pick of the Flyers, Luukko has recorded 15 goals, 55 points, 94 PIM and a plus-26 rating in his ECHL career. He stands 6-foot-2 and weighs 205 pounds.
At the University of Vermont, Luukko mixed in eight goals and 35 points in 131 games. He signed with the Flyers following the conclusion of his collegiate career and played in six games for the Phantoms in 2014-15. Luukko won the 2011 Clark Cup with the Dubuque Fighting Saints (USHL) prior to enrolling at Vermont.
Komm adds depth and talent to Royals cage
The Royals acquired Komm from Manchester in Feb. 2018; he compiled a 6-2-2-0 record and two shutouts (2.06 GAA, .936 sv.%) in Reading. He is the only netminder in team history to begin his Royals career with back-to-back shutouts and four straight wins. The Williamsville, NY native is slated to begin his fifth professional campaign.
Komm netminded for four clubs in 2017-18 (29 GP) and registered a 14-9-4-0 mark, 2.60 goals against average and .917 save percentage. For his ECHL career, the 27-year-old is 47-38-9-2 with a 2.72 goals against average and .914 save percentage.
In 2016-17 with Idaho, Komm was tenth in the league with a 2.69 goals against average and sixth in the circuit with a .917 save percentage. A Bentley University graduate, Komm began his professional career in 2014-15 and combined to play in 21 games for Evansville and Cincinnati. He stands 6-foot-1 and weighs 190 pounds.
Single-game tickets are on sale at Ticketmaster.com and the Weidenhammer Box Office at Santander Arena. Visit the Royals offices at Santander Arena between 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday for tickets or call 610-898-7825.
Opening Weekend, presented by Met-Ed
Season Opener: Sat., Oct. 13, 7:00 p.m.
Block party 2 p.m. - 6 p.m. | Food and drinks available | Performance by the Uptown Band | Attempt at setting the World Record for most cowbells played at a time | Cowbell giveaway (first 6,500 fans) | Red carpet introduction for the players
Philadelphia Eagles Legends Night (Vince Papale and Bill Bergey): Oct. 14, 5:00 p.m.
Pregame tailgate 2 p.m. - 4 p.m. | Appearance by Eagles legends Vince Papale and Bill Bergey | National cornhole tournament
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 6, 2018
- White Tops Blue in Intersquad Scrimmage - Jacksonville IceMen
- Royals Run Away from Thunder in Third, 6-3 - Reading Royals
- O'Connor Backstops Nailers to Shootout Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Wings Fall in Penalty Filled Affair - Kalamazoo Wings
- Railers Sink Mariners 5-0 in Lone Tune up Before Regular Season - Worcester Railers HC
- Adirondack Concludes Preseason with Loss in Reading - Adirondack Thunder
- Blues Send Fitzpatrick to Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Oilers Defeat Thunder in Lone Preseason Game - Tulsa Oilers
- Tulsa Takes Preseason Contest in Wichita, 4-2 - Wichita Thunder
- Goaltender Assigned to Jax - Jacksonville IceMen
- Game Preview: Solar Bears Wrap up Preseason Tonight at Florida - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - October 6 - ECHL
- Luukko, Komm Returned to Royals on Loan from Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Nailers at Cyclones Game Day Snap Shot, October 6 - Wheeling Nailers
- Mariners Open Preseason this Weekend in New Hampshire - Maine Mariners
- Americans Look to Sweep the Preseason - Allen Americans
- Thunder Plays Lone Exhibition Game Today vs. Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Preview: 'Blades Host Solar Bears to Conclude Preseason - Florida Everblades
- Goalie Mason McDonald Re-Assigned to Kansas City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Stingrays Break Open in Second Period, Down Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Grizzlies Fall in Preseason Opener - Utah Grizzlies
- Olson Lifts Solar Bears to 5-4 Win over Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Adirondack Drops Preseason Opener 6-3 to Reading - Adirondack Thunder
- Americans Score Four Unanswered to Beat Kansas City - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.