Preview: 'Blades Host Solar Bears to Conclude Preseason
ESTERO, Fla. - The Florida Everblades close the 2018 preseason on Saturday night with the second matchup in as many days against the Orlando Solar Bears at Hertz Arena.
Preseason Game 2: Orlando Solar Bears (2-0-0) at Florida Everblades (0-1-0)
When: 7:00 p.m. | Where: Hertz Arena
Tickets: Purchase online or in person at the Florida Community Bank Box Office
Watch: None (no ECHL.tv during ECHL preseason)
Social: Twitter | Instagram
Live Stats: ECHL Game Center
Last time out
Florida's Adam Gilmour (1G, 1A) and Patrick McCarron (2A) both posted multiple points, but Orlando scored with 16.6 seconds remaining in regulation to slip past the Everblades in their preseason opener on Friday night at Hertz Arena. Tommy Thompson, Joe Cox, and Matt Foget all scored for Florida, which had four different players find the back of the net and three special teams goals. Goaltender Jamie Phillips stopped 29 shots in his debut with the 'Blades.
BOX SCORE | RECAP
Players to Watch
Florida: Adam Gilmour - After missing the entire 2017-18 season due to injury, Gilmour got back on track in a big way on Friday night with a goal and an assist. He registered 10 points in 52 games for the Iowa Wild two years ago and had eight points in 11 games for the Quad City Mallards that same year.
Orlando: Trevor Olson - Olson is in his rookie season of professional hockey after playing four seasons with the University of North Dakota from 2014-18. He saw ice time in eight games with the South Carolina Stingrays at the end of last season and tabbed one assist in that span. His three-point night on Friday was the first three-point game of the preseason for an Orlando player.
The Everblades scored three times on special teams on Friday, which included a pair of short-handed goals. The last time Florida tallied two short-handed goals in the same game was in a 4-2 win over the Jacksonville IceMen on Jan. 12, 2018. Joe Cox, who had a short-handed tally on Friday, had one of the two short-handed goals in that game, as well.
Florida leads the all-time regular season series with a record of 55-21-4. Florida completed the head-to-head series last year with a 10-4-0 record against Orlando, but the series was much closer in Estero where the Everblades posted a 3-2-0 record. Florida went 7-2-0 in nine games in Orlando in addition to winning the playoff series, 4-1.
2018-19 Season Series
Florida and Orlando will meet 12 times during the 2018-19 regular season. The two teams will square off for the first time in the third weekend of the year, a home-and-home series on Oct. 26 and Oct. 27 in Orlando and Estero, respectively. Each team will play six home games in the season series.
Following the conclusion of the preseason on Saturday night, Florida will prepare to make the trip north of the border to face the Newfoundland Growlers next Friday and Saturday. Those two games will be the first in franchise history for the Growlers, which are an expansion team. Both games will be 5:30 p.m. ET puck drops.
Individual game tickets for all regular season games are on sale now!
Ticket packages for the 2018-19 season are on sale now! Become part of the Everblades Family with a Full Season, Partial Season or a Flexible Voucher Package that fits your schedule and budget! All Ticket & Voucher Packages provide savings and special benefits! To view the Ticket & Voucher Package options CLICK HERE. Ask about the payment plan options too!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 6, 2018
- White Tops Blue in Intersquad Scrimmage - Jacksonville IceMen
- Royals Run Away from Thunder in Third, 6-3 - Reading Royals
- O'Connor Backstops Nailers to Shootout Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Wings Fall in Penalty Filled Affair - Kalamazoo Wings
- Railers Sink Mariners 5-0 in Lone Tune up Before Regular Season - Worcester Railers HC
- Adirondack Concludes Preseason with Loss in Reading - Adirondack Thunder
- Blues Send Fitzpatrick to Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Oilers Defeat Thunder in Lone Preseason Game - Tulsa Oilers
- Tulsa Takes Preseason Contest in Wichita, 4-2 - Wichita Thunder
- Goaltender Assigned to Jax - Jacksonville IceMen
- Game Preview: Solar Bears Wrap up Preseason Tonight at Florida - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - October 6 - ECHL
- Luukko, Komm Returned to Royals on Loan from Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Nailers at Cyclones Game Day Snap Shot, October 6 - Wheeling Nailers
- Mariners Open Preseason this Weekend in New Hampshire - Maine Mariners
- Americans Look to Sweep the Preseason - Allen Americans
- Thunder Plays Lone Exhibition Game Today vs. Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Preview: 'Blades Host Solar Bears to Conclude Preseason - Florida Everblades
- Goalie Mason McDonald Re-Assigned to Kansas City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Stingrays Break Open in Second Period, Down Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Grizzlies Fall in Preseason Opener - Utah Grizzlies
- Olson Lifts Solar Bears to 5-4 Win over Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Adirondack Drops Preseason Opener 6-3 to Reading - Adirondack Thunder
- Americans Score Four Unanswered to Beat Kansas City - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- 'Blades Weekly: Single Game Pits Florida against Orlando
- Stingrays Withstand Everblades' Comeback to Win Series Finale
- Winiecki's Two-Goal Game Leads 'Blades to Eighth Straight Win
- Clutch Callum: Booth Leads 'Blades to 2-1 Shootout Win
- Everblades Add Mercyhurst University Captain Lammon