Adirondack Drops Preseason Opener 6-3 to Reading
Glens Falls, NY - The Adirondack Thunder saw multi-point efforts from Shane Conacher, Matias Cleland and Jordan McNaughton, but it wasn't enough as they fell to the Reading Royals Friday night at Cool Insuring Arena in Glens Falls.
Conacher got the scoring started at the 9:05 mark of the initial period when he one-timed a shot into the top corner past Royals goaltender Will King. Cleland and McNaughton picked up the assists, good for all three Thunder skater's first point of the preseason.
Bo Pieper scored the game's next two goals, his first when he converted on an odd-man rush late in the first period. The former Thunder forward skated up the right wing and flicked a shot far-side past Sakellaropoulos, off the post and in. Brian Morgan picked up the assist on the score. Pieper added another in the second period after a scrum in front of the net. The puck popped up into the air and over the Thunder goalie's shoulder to give the Royals a 2-1 advantage.
Cleland tied the game back up at two apiece when he came racing down the left wing in the second frame. The defenseman entered the offensive zone as the lone Thunder skater and fired a quick wrister to beat King on the short side. Conacher and Peter MacArthur picked up the assists for Adirondack on the score.
The Royals regained the one goal advantage three minutes later when Josh MacDonald found his own rebound in front of the net and backhanded it by Sakellaropoulos. Reading capitalized off a Thunder turnover, where McCarthy left a drop pass for MacDonald. After a tremendous first stop from the Thunder netminder, MacDonald regained his own rebound and put it in to give the Royals a 3-2 lead.
Reading added a trio of goals in the third period to extend their lead to 6-2. Morgan had a hand in all three of the scores, finishing the night with five total points on a goal and four helpers.
McNaughton got one back for the Thunder as he found the back of the net with a soft wrist shot from the point with under six minutes remaining in the game. Nikolas Olsson, the rookie from Boston University, notched the only assist on the score.
The two teams will square off again tomorrow evening to finish out both squad's preseason schedules. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. at Santander Arena in Reading, PA.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 6, 2018
- White Tops Blue in Intersquad Scrimmage - Jacksonville IceMen
- Royals Run Away from Thunder in Third, 6-3 - Reading Royals
- O'Connor Backstops Nailers to Shootout Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Wings Fall in Penalty Filled Affair - Kalamazoo Wings
- Railers Sink Mariners 5-0 in Lone Tune up Before Regular Season - Worcester Railers HC
- Adirondack Concludes Preseason with Loss in Reading - Adirondack Thunder
- Blues Send Fitzpatrick to Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Oilers Defeat Thunder in Lone Preseason Game - Tulsa Oilers
- Tulsa Takes Preseason Contest in Wichita, 4-2 - Wichita Thunder
- Goaltender Assigned to Jax - Jacksonville IceMen
- Game Preview: Solar Bears Wrap up Preseason Tonight at Florida - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - October 6 - ECHL
- Luukko, Komm Returned to Royals on Loan from Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Nailers at Cyclones Game Day Snap Shot, October 6 - Wheeling Nailers
- Mariners Open Preseason this Weekend in New Hampshire - Maine Mariners
- Americans Look to Sweep the Preseason - Allen Americans
- Thunder Plays Lone Exhibition Game Today vs. Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Preview: 'Blades Host Solar Bears to Conclude Preseason - Florida Everblades
- Goalie Mason McDonald Re-Assigned to Kansas City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Stingrays Break Open in Second Period, Down Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Grizzlies Fall in Preseason Opener - Utah Grizzlies
- Olson Lifts Solar Bears to 5-4 Win over Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Adirondack Drops Preseason Opener 6-3 to Reading - Adirondack Thunder
- Americans Score Four Unanswered to Beat Kansas City - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Adirondack Thunder Stories
- Adirondack's Season Ends with Game 5 Loss to Manchester
- Thunder Extend Season with Dramatic Come-From-Behind Win in Game 4
- Six Unanswered Lead Monarchs to 2-0 Series Lead
- Thunder Drop First Game of Series to Monarchs by 4-2 Final
- Logan Thompson Signs PTO with Binghamton Devils