Americans Score Four Unanswered to Beat Kansas City
Allen, Texas - The Allen Americans, ECHL affiliate of the Minnesota Wild, scored four unanswered goals to win their preseason opener against the Kansas City Mavericks, 4-3 on Friday night in Allen.
After the Mavericks jumped out to a 3-0 first period lead, the Americans responded with three of their own in the second frame. Braylon Shmyr (1), Casey Pierro-Zabotel (1) and Kevin Sundher (1) all scored for Allen in the second. Shmyr's goal came on the power play for the Americans.
Only one goal was scored in the final frame and it came late in the third period. With Spencer Asuchak in the box for cross-checking, the Americans grabbed the lead for the first time when Miles Liberati scored his first of the preseason to give Allen the lead for good.
Each team had 33 shots on net. Allen went 1 for 4 with the man advantage, while Kansas City was 2 for 7. Jeremy Brodeur got the start and the win for the Americans, stopping 30 of 33 shots, including the final 24 he faced.
"We played much better in the second and third," said Americans Head Coach Steve Martinson. "We did a couple of system things wrong that cost us in the first period. They had a couple of bounces on the power play that ended up in our net and that was a little frustrating. In the second period, we started getting more traffic in front of their goal and made some plays down low. I saw a lot of good things from the new guys, including Dante (Salituro), who probably stood out the most. I'm excited about what we're seeing so far."
The same two teams face off tomorrow afternoon at 4:30 pm in Allen. Call 972-912-1000 for more information.
Season Tickets - Lock in your seats NOW for the 2018-2019 Allen Americans Season. Contact your Americans ticket representative TODAY by calling 972-912-1000.
Group Outings - The best way to entertain a large or small group is at an Allen Americans hockey game. Get special group rates on tickets and food by calling 972-912-1000.
Watch/Listen Live - Catch all Allen Americans games this season on ECHL TV pay-per-view or Mixlr.com. Be sure to download the Mixlr app for your iPhone or Android and never miss a minute of the actio
Tonight's 3 Stars of the Game:
1. ALN - C. Pierro-Zabotel
2. ALN - M. Liberati
3. KC - B. Beauvais
Americans Next Home Game
Allen Americans vs. Wichita Thunder
Date: Saturday, October 20th 7:05 pm
Venue: Allen Event Center
Images from this story
Salituro Salituro of the Allen Americans
(North D Sports)
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 6, 2018
- White Tops Blue in Intersquad Scrimmage - Jacksonville IceMen
- Royals Run Away from Thunder in Third, 6-3 - Reading Royals
- O'Connor Backstops Nailers to Shootout Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Wings Fall in Penalty Filled Affair - Kalamazoo Wings
- Railers Sink Mariners 5-0 in Lone Tune up Before Regular Season - Worcester Railers HC
- Adirondack Concludes Preseason with Loss in Reading - Adirondack Thunder
- Blues Send Fitzpatrick to Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Oilers Defeat Thunder in Lone Preseason Game - Tulsa Oilers
- Tulsa Takes Preseason Contest in Wichita, 4-2 - Wichita Thunder
- Goaltender Assigned to Jax - Jacksonville IceMen
- Game Preview: Solar Bears Wrap up Preseason Tonight at Florida - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - October 6 - ECHL
- Luukko, Komm Returned to Royals on Loan from Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Nailers at Cyclones Game Day Snap Shot, October 6 - Wheeling Nailers
- Mariners Open Preseason this Weekend in New Hampshire - Maine Mariners
- Americans Look to Sweep the Preseason - Allen Americans
- Thunder Plays Lone Exhibition Game Today vs. Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Preview: 'Blades Host Solar Bears to Conclude Preseason - Florida Everblades
- Goalie Mason McDonald Re-Assigned to Kansas City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Stingrays Break Open in Second Period, Down Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Grizzlies Fall in Preseason Opener - Utah Grizzlies
- Olson Lifts Solar Bears to 5-4 Win over Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Adirondack Drops Preseason Opener 6-3 to Reading - Adirondack Thunder
- Americans Score Four Unanswered to Beat Kansas City - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.