Missions Snap Skid with 13-Inning Walk-Off Victory
SAN ANTONIO - Tyler Saladino yanked a line drive down the third base line in the 13th inning to provide the San Antonio Missions with the 5-4 walk-off victory over the New Orleans Baby Cakes Saturday night at Wolff Stadium. The win snapped San Antonio's losing streak at eight games.
Lucas Erceg was placed at second base to begin the 13th inning and was moved along to third base on a perfectly executed sacrifice bunt from Nate Orf. Saladino then stepped up to the plate and delivered the game's biggest hit. The walk-off hit was Saladino's second of the season.
In his first start with the Missions Tyler Austin made quite the impression as he collected three hits and scored a pair of runs.
His first hit came in the form of a ground rule double with one out in the second inning. Austin didn't stay at second base for long as Corey Ray smashed the first pitch he saw in the second inning over the right field fence to put the Missions in front 2-0
The Missions were victims of a controversial call in the sixth inning. With a pair of runners on base Yadiel Rivera scorched a fly ball over the head of left fielder Troy Stokes Jr. The ball one hopped up against the wall but was ruled as a three-run home run to give the Baby Cakes a 4-2 advantage.
San Antonio tied the score at 4-4 in the bottom of the seventh inning. Tyler Austin got the frame started with a base hit, which was followed by a double from Tyrone Taylor. Ray matched a season-high with his third RBI of the night as he hit a sacrifice fly to left field. The Missions put men at every base for Orf who earned an RBI without lifting the bat off his shoulder. The second baseman worked a walk to bring home the tying run.
Thomas Jankins spun his team-leading ninth quality start and the bullpen put together seven shutout innings to secure the victory. Taylor Williams and Deolis Guerra each posted two shutout innings while Jay Jackson earned his fifth win of the season with a perfect 13th inning.
The Missions and Baby Cakes conclude their four-game series Sunday night at Nelson Wolff Stadium. Right-hander Aaron Wilkerson (7-2, 3.59) is scheduled to start for San Antonio against right-hander Cody Poteet (2-1, 4.53). First pitch will be at 6:05 p.m.
* With the win, San Antonio improved to 73-51 on the season.
* San Antonio's season-long losing streak was snapped at eight games. It was the longest losing streak for the Missions since they dropped eight in a row from August 15-22, 2012.
* David Freitas entered in the 12th inning as a pinch hitter and was intentionally walked to extend his on-base streak to 27 games. His hitting streak remains intact at 12 games and his RBI streak came to an end at eight games.
* Saturday's game was the fourth extra-inning game for the Missions in their last seven home games. It was the fourth extra-inning game of the season between the Missions and the Baby Cakes in 15 meetings.
* The Missions are now 6-4 in extra-inning games in 2019
2019 is the 118th season of baseball in San Antonio and first as the Triple-A affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers. Single game tickets are on sale now at the Wolff Stadium Box Office or online at samissions.com. Season seat memberships are available now by calling 210-675-PARK (7275).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 17, 2019
- Sounds Top Chasers 5-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Missions Snap Skid with 13-Inning Walk-Off Victory - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Fall in 13 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Chihuahuas' Rally Comes up Short - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Bees Win Back to Back - Salt Lake Bees
- Garcia's Walk-Off Homer Gives Redbirds Series Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Memphis Spoils Iowa's Early Lead - Iowa Cubs
- Federowicz' Go-Ahead Home Run Wins It for Sounds - Nashville Sounds
- Dodgers Can't Catch Up to Express - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Blank Dodgers 2-0 - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (55-66) vs. Omaha Storm Chasers (52-71) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes vs. Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (57-66) vs Iowa Cubs (66-57) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 17, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Returning to Haunt An Old Friend - San Antonio Missions
- River Cats Provide the Fireworks Friday Night - Reno Aces
- Davis belts three homers as River Cats cruise to victory - Sacramento River Cats
- Isotopes Take Second in a Row from Aviators - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Grizzlies can't bear the cold, lose 8-1 to Rainiers - Fresno Grizzlies
- Rainiers Pile on Six in Seventh Inning to Take Second-Straight against Fresno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Six Bees Homers Doom Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Hermosillo Hits Three Homers in Bees Win - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio Missions Stories
- Preliminary Promotional Schedule Unveiled for Missions' 2020 Season
- Missions and IHeartMedia Announce 93.3 the Bull as New Flagship Station
- Unveiling a Bygone Era of Missions History
- Declaring a National Puffy Taco Day
- Missions to Transform into Puffy Tacos for Three Games in May