Sounds Top Chasers 5-3
Omaha starting pitcher Arnaldo Hernandez tossed a quality outing and right fielder Erick Mejia collected two hits, however the Nashville Sounds plated three runs in the last of the seventh inning to complete a 5-3 come-from-behind victory over the Storm Chasers on Friday evening at First Tennessee Park.
Hernandez (6.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, BB, 3 K) and Nashville starter Tim Dillard (6.0 IP, 9 H, 3 R, 3 ER, BB, 6 K) each fired six strong frames, though neither ultimately factored in the final decisions. Sounds relievers Kyle Bird (1.0 IP, H, K), James Jones (1.0 IP) and Jake Petricka (1.0 IP, K) combined for the final three scoreless frames, with Bird earning the win and Petricka notching his sixth save. Storm Chasers righty Ofreidy Gomez (0.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB), meanwhile, suffered the defeat.
After Omaha struck first thanks to 2B Chase d'Arnaud's solo homer in the second, the Sounds immediately answered via Scott Heineman 's RBI double. LF Jorge Bonifacio 's run-scoring triple would then give the Storm Chasers a 2-1 advantage in the third, while SS Jecksson Flores ' RBI single extended the margin to three. Nashville 1B Ronald Guzman 's solo homer in the sixth would cut the margin to one before the Sounds' snagged their first and only lead of the night with their big seventh frame.
Heineman (2-4, 2B, 2 RBI) was joined by LF Zack Granite (2-5, R, RBI) and DH Andy Ibanez (2-2, R, 2B, RBI, 2 BB) in posted multi-hit efforts for Nashville. Mejia (2-3, R, BB), CF Nick Heath (2-4) and C Adam Moore (2-4, R), meanwhile, each collected two knocks for the Storm Chasers.
The two teams are set to complete their three-game set in Nashville on Saturday evening, with first pitch scheduled for 7:05pm CT.
Omaha returns to Werner Park to wrap up the 2019 season with a seven-game homestand from August 26 through September 2, hosting Nashville and the Round Rock Express. First pitch of the series opener on Monday, August 26 is set for 7:05pm CT.
Tickets for that game and all remaining Storm Chasers home contests can be purchased online at www.omahastormchasers.com, or by calling the Werner Park Ticket Office from noon until 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday at (402) 738-5100.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 17, 2019
- Sounds Top Chasers 5-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Missions Snap Skid with 13-Inning Walk-Off Victory - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Fall in 13 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Chihuahuas' Rally Comes up Short - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Bees Win Back to Back - Salt Lake Bees
- Garcia's Walk-Off Homer Gives Redbirds Series Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Memphis Spoils Iowa's Early Lead - Iowa Cubs
- Federowicz' Go-Ahead Home Run Wins It for Sounds - Nashville Sounds
- Dodgers Can't Catch Up to Express - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Blank Dodgers 2-0 - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (55-66) vs. Omaha Storm Chasers (52-71) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes vs. Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (57-66) vs Iowa Cubs (66-57) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 17, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Returning to Haunt An Old Friend - San Antonio Missions
- River Cats Provide the Fireworks Friday Night - Reno Aces
- Davis belts three homers as River Cats cruise to victory - Sacramento River Cats
- Isotopes Take Second in a Row from Aviators - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Grizzlies can't bear the cold, lose 8-1 to Rainiers - Fresno Grizzlies
- Rainiers Pile on Six in Seventh Inning to Take Second-Straight against Fresno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Six Bees Homers Doom Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Hermosillo Hits Three Homers in Bees Win - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Omaha Storm Chasers Stories
- 3 Chasers Players Named to USA Baseball's Premier12 Roster
- 13 Omaha Alums Chasing World Series Ring
- Mejia, Machado Earn Omaha Player & Pitcher of the Year Honors
- "50 Summers" Selected for 14th Annual Baseball Film Festival at National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum
- Chasers, USL Omaha Announce Addition of Ryan Querry as Chief Revenue Officer