Garcia's Walk-Off Homer Gives Redbirds Series Win
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - Adolis Garcia hit a walk-off two-run home run in the bottom of the ninth inning to cap off a Memphis Redbirds' series-clinching win over the first-place Iowa Cubs (Cubs) Saturday night at AutoZone Park, 8-6.
The Redbirds (58-66) have won seven of their last eight games and also seven of their last eight series.
In exactly one calendar month, since falling to a season-low 21 games under .500 on July 17, Memphis has won 20-of-27 games.
The Redbirds trailed Iowa 5-0 after a half-inning and 6-2 after the top of the sixth, before scoring six times in its final four at-bats. With the game tied at 6 heading to the bottom of the ninth, Andrew Knizner doubled ahead of Garcia cranking his 26th home run of the season to send the fans home happy.
Garcia now has three walk-off winners for the Redbirds this season, and the victory was Memphis' eighth when trailing in the seventh inning or later.
Edmundo Sosa went 3-for-5 with a double, and Dylan Carlson, Knizner, Garcia, Ramon Urias, and Max Schrock all had two-hit games as part of Memphis' 17-hit barrage.
Sosa has a hit in seven-straight games and 20 of his last 21.
Iowa led 6-3 following the seventh-inning stretch, but the Redbirds tied it up with a three-spot in the home-half. Knizner reached on a misplayed ball in left field, and he came around to score on an Urias single. Garcia singled and scored on a Schrock groundout, and pinch-hitter Justin Williams drove in Urias with a knock of his own.
Chasen Shreve pitched a scoreless eighth inning for the Redbirds, erasing an Iowa single with a double play, and the Redbirds went down in order in the bottom of the eighth. Kodi Whitley surrendered a one-out walk, but he escaped the ninth inning with no damage.
That set up Memphis' fireworks in the bottom of the ninth to wrap up the victory.
Memphis and Iowa finish their series tomorrow afternoon at 2:05. The Redbirds remain home through Sunday, Aug. 25, which concludes their regular-season home schedule.
Upcoming Games of Note at AutoZone Park
Sunday, August 18 at 2:05: Prairie Farms Ice Cream Sunday (free ice cream for kids upon entering); pregame player autographs presented by Allegiant Air; kids run the bases after the game
Monday, August 19 at 6:35: the Redbirds take the field as the Memphis Música as part of Minor League Baseball's "Copa de la Diversión" series with $3 tacos, $4 Elotes (Mexican Street Corn), and $5 Dos Equis available at the stadium
Wednesday, August 21 at 6:35: Woof Wednesday presented by Invisible Fence Brand of Memphis with dogs able to come to the stadium along with their parents
Thursday, August 22 at 7:05: Grizzlies Night with jersey auction; Throwback Thursday presented by Polk's Meat Products featuring throwback concession pricing of $2 beers and $1 Polk's hot dogs; College Night with $5 Bluff tickets for college students with a college ID
Friday, August 23 at 7:05: Replica 2018 Triple-A National Championship Ring Giveaway presented by Terminix (first 2,000 fans); All-You-Can-Eat Night specialty ticket presented by Dave & Buster's featuring an all-you-can-eat crab legs buffet and a free $15 Dave & Buster's Power Card available at www.memphisredbirds.com/allyoucaneat; Papa John's Friday Family Pack specialty ticket option with free ballpark food and free Papa John's at www.memphisredbirds.com/fridayfamilypack
Saturday, August 24 at 6:35: Terminix Saturday Fireworks Show after the game; Yadier Molina T-Shirt Jersey Giveaway presented by AutoZone (first 1,500 fans); Aldo's Pizza specialty ticket with free soda at the ballpark and free and discounted food and beverages at Aldo's Pizza Pies available at www.memphisredbirds.com/aldos
Sunday, August 25 at 2:05: Fan Appreciation Day presented by Hunter Fan Company (all fans receive a voucher good for a game in 2020); Prairie Farms Ice Cream Sunday (free ice cream for kids upon entering); pregame player autographs presented by Allegiant Air; specialty ticket that includes a St. Louis Cardinals adult road alternate jersey available at www.memphisredbirds.com/cardinals; kids run the bases after the game
For more information on the 2019 season, visit www.memphisredbirds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 17, 2019
- Sounds Top Chasers 5-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Missions Snap Skid with 13-Inning Walk-Off Victory - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Fall in 13 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Chihuahuas' Rally Comes up Short - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Bees Win Back to Back - Salt Lake Bees
- Garcia's Walk-Off Homer Gives Redbirds Series Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Memphis Spoils Iowa's Early Lead - Iowa Cubs
- Federowicz' Go-Ahead Home Run Wins It for Sounds - Nashville Sounds
- Dodgers Can't Catch Up to Express - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Blank Dodgers 2-0 - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (55-66) vs. Omaha Storm Chasers (52-71) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes vs. Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (57-66) vs Iowa Cubs (66-57) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 17, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Returning to Haunt An Old Friend - San Antonio Missions
- River Cats Provide the Fireworks Friday Night - Reno Aces
- Davis belts three homers as River Cats cruise to victory - Sacramento River Cats
- Isotopes Take Second in a Row from Aviators - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Grizzlies can't bear the cold, lose 8-1 to Rainiers - Fresno Grizzlies
- Rainiers Pile on Six in Seventh Inning to Take Second-Straight against Fresno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Six Bees Homers Doom Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Hermosillo Hits Three Homers in Bees Win - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Redbirds Stories
- 9,123 Fans Jam AutoZone Park for Triple-A National Championship Game
- Triple-A National Champion to be Crowned Tomorrow Night
- Triple-A Baseball, Allegiant Announce Historic On-Field Jersey Partnership
- Redbirds, "I Love Memphis" Partner for $5 Tickets for Triple-A National Championship Game
- Ponce de Leon Named Pacific Coast League Player of the Month