Bees Win Back to Back
The Salt Lake Bees used three home runs to defeat the El Paso Chihuahuas 5-4 on Saturday night in front of 13,921 fans at Smith's Ballpark.
Justin Bour put the Bees on the board first with a two-run shot in the first inning and Jose Rojas hit a solo shot in the second frame to give Salt Lake a 3-0 lead.
El Paso plated one run off an RBI-triple in the third to cut the lead to 3-1. In the fifth, Salt Lake registered two runs from a two-run shot by Taylor Ward to extend the lead 5-1. The Chihuahuas scored two runs in the sixth and got within a run in the ninth on a solo home run from Aderlin Rodriguez but Bees reliever Miguel Del Pozo was able to shut the door to collect his second save of the season.
Salt Lake starter Nick Tropeano (3-6) took the winning decision as he went five and one-thirds innings and allowed three runs on six hit while walking two and striking out four. Jose Rodriguez relieved Tropeano and tossed two and two-thirds scoreless frames. Bour and Ward led the Bees offensive production after each collecting two RBI. Angels #1 prospect Jo Adell went 2-for-4 with two runs scored and a double and also registered an outfield assist. After going 2-for-3 in the contest, Ward extended his active home on-base streak to 27 games.
The Bees and Chihuahuas finish up the series at Smith's Ballpark on Sunday afternoon with first pitch coming at 1:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 17, 2019
- Sounds Top Chasers 5-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Missions Snap Skid with 13-Inning Walk-Off Victory - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Fall in 13 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Chihuahuas' Rally Comes up Short - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Bees Win Back to Back - Salt Lake Bees
- Garcia's Walk-Off Homer Gives Redbirds Series Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Memphis Spoils Iowa's Early Lead - Iowa Cubs
- Federowicz' Go-Ahead Home Run Wins It for Sounds - Nashville Sounds
- Dodgers Can't Catch Up to Express - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Blank Dodgers 2-0 - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (55-66) vs. Omaha Storm Chasers (52-71) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes vs. Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (57-66) vs Iowa Cubs (66-57) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 17, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Returning to Haunt An Old Friend - San Antonio Missions
- River Cats Provide the Fireworks Friday Night - Reno Aces
- Davis belts three homers as River Cats cruise to victory - Sacramento River Cats
- Isotopes Take Second in a Row from Aviators - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Grizzlies can't bear the cold, lose 8-1 to Rainiers - Fresno Grizzlies
- Rainiers Pile on Six in Seventh Inning to Take Second-Straight against Fresno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Six Bees Homers Doom Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Hermosillo Hits Three Homers in Bees Win - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.