Grizzlies can't bear the cold, lose 8-1 to Rainiers
Tacoma, Washington - On a chilly Friday night at Cheney Stadium, the Tacoma Rainiers (55-68) froze the Fresno Grizzlies (55-68) 8-1. A six-run seventh iced any Fresno comeback as the Grizzlies dropped their ninth game in 10 contests. Tacoma lefty Anthony Misiewicz (7-6) earned the win after five innings of one-run ball. He punched out six.
The Rainiers relied heavily on the longball. Jordan Pacheco got things going in the second, blasting a solo shot. It was his first homer with Tacoma. Jaycob Brugman enjoyed the other clout, a two-run missile in the seventh. Brugman has 17 wallops this season.
John Andreoli and Jake Fraley each added two RBI for the Rainiers. The duo collected one hit apiece and scored a run as well. Three Tacoma relievers delivered shutout appearances with Ryan Garton fanning three over two frames of work.
Yadiel Hernandez highlighted the Fresno offense with a pair of hits. Hernandez smoked his 27th dinger of the year in the fourth. That extended his current club-high and personal-best hit streak to nine games while tying Brandon Snyder for the team-lead in round trippers. Ben Braymer (0-6) hurled six solid innings in the defeat.
Top Performers: Fresno Grizzlies (Washington Nationals)
- RF Yadiel Hernandez (2-4, HR, RBI, R)
- LHP Ben Braymer (6.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 3 K)
- 1B Jake Noll (1-4, 2B)
Top Performers: Tacoma Rainiers (Seattle Mariners)
- DH Jaycob Brugman (1-4, HR, 2 RBI, R)
- LF John Andreoli (1-2, 2B, 2 RBI, R, 2 BB)
- C Jordan Pacheco (1-4, HR, RBI, R)
DAY DATE OPPONENT PROBABLE PITCHERS TIME (PT) RADIO/TV
Saturday August 17 Tacoma Rainiers (Away) RHP Wil Crowe (Fresno) vs. LHP Sean Nolin (Tacoma) 7:05 p.m. KRDU 1130 AM / MiLB.TV
ON THAT FRES-NOTE: Former Fresno State Bulldogs Justin Miller (Grizzlies) and Chris Mariscal (Rainiers) both played well Friday night. Miller struck out one over 1.1 scoreless innings. It was Miller's seventh straight outing without allowing a run (10.1 IP). Mariscal went 1-for-2 with a double, two runs and a walk. Mariscal was drafted by Seattle in the 14th round back in 2014.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 17, 2019
- Sounds Top Chasers 5-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Missions Snap Skid with 13-Inning Walk-Off Victory - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Fall in 13 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Chihuahuas' Rally Comes up Short - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Bees Win Back to Back - Salt Lake Bees
- Garcia's Walk-Off Homer Gives Redbirds Series Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Memphis Spoils Iowa's Early Lead - Iowa Cubs
- Federowicz' Go-Ahead Home Run Wins It for Sounds - Nashville Sounds
- Dodgers Can't Catch Up to Express - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Blank Dodgers 2-0 - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (55-66) vs. Omaha Storm Chasers (52-71) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes vs. Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (57-66) vs Iowa Cubs (66-57) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 17, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Returning to Haunt An Old Friend - San Antonio Missions
- River Cats Provide the Fireworks Friday Night - Reno Aces
- Davis belts three homers as River Cats cruise to victory - Sacramento River Cats
- Isotopes Take Second in a Row from Aviators - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Grizzlies can't bear the cold, lose 8-1 to Rainiers - Fresno Grizzlies
- Rainiers Pile on Six in Seventh Inning to Take Second-Straight against Fresno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Six Bees Homers Doom Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Hermosillo Hits Three Homers in Bees Win - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno Grizzlies Stories
- Fresno's Wilmer Difo Named PCL Player of the Week
- Fresno Grizzlies End Season on Six-Game Win Streak
- Grizz roar to fifth straight victory thanks to Difo's walk-off double
- Ward and Grizzlies claw past Isotopes 4-2 Saturday
- Sellout Crowd Watches Grizz Beat ABQ 6-5