Federowicz' Go-Ahead Home Run Wins It for Sounds
NASHVILLE - The game was tied 3-3 in the bottom of the eighth inning and Tim Federowicz picked the perfect time to hit his first home run of the season for the Sounds. The solo blast gave the Sounds a 4-3 lead and the win.
The first run of the game was scored by the Sounds in the bottom of the first inning. Nick Solak led off with a single to extend his hitting streak to 17 games. After a Ronald Guzman walk, Solak scored on an RBI single by Matt Davidson for the Sounds' early 1-0 lead.
Solak also led the third inning off with a single and Andy Ibanez followed him with his own single to make it first and third with nobody out. Solak scored after Guzman grounded into a double play. It was then 2-0, Nashville.
Omaha scored their first run in the top of the fourth inning. Former Sound Chase d'Arnaud hit a two-out single. On a hit-and-run, d'Arnaud scored on an RBI double Erich Weiss to cut Nashville's lead 2-1.
The Storm Chasers tied the game at 2 in the top of the sixth inning on three singles. Erick Mejia led off with the first single and Kelvin Gutierrez followed to put runners on first and second. Mejia scored after d'Arnaud dropped in his third single of the game.
Nashville came right back in the bottom of the sixth inning to take the lead. Eli White led off with a walk and advanced to second on a wild pitch. Federowicz walked and Solak walked to load the bases with one out. Omaha brought in Andres Machado to halt Nashville's offense but Ibanez was able to ground into a fielder's choice to score White. It was then 3-2, Nashville.
The game was tied again by Omaha in the top of the eighth inning. After Jorge Bonafacio walked, he scored on a double by Gutierrez to tie things up at 3.
Federowicz made the magic happen in the bottom of the eighth inning. With one out, he blasted a solo home run on top of the Hyundai Deck to grab the 4-3. Reed Garrett came in to close in the ninth inning to seal the victory.
The Sounds look to sweep Omaha in Sunday night's game. With first pitch at 6:15 p.m., left-hander Wes Benjamin (6-5, 6.01) starting for Nashville and will face Storm Chasers' starter Eric Skoglund (1-4, 6.59).
With tonight's 4-3 win, the Sounds improved to 56-66 in 2019.
The Sounds are now 14-5 when Seth Maness starts on the mound.
Nick Solak extended his hitting streak to 17 games with a single in the seventh inning. Solak is hitting .420 (29-for-69) with 15 runs scored, 4 doubles, 6 home runs and 18 RBI during the streak.
The 2019 season is the 42nd in Nashville Sounds franchise history and first as the Triple-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers. Single-game tickets are available now by calling (615) 690-4487 or by visiting www.nashvillesounds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 17, 2019
- Sounds Top Chasers 5-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Missions Snap Skid with 13-Inning Walk-Off Victory - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Fall in 13 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Chihuahuas' Rally Comes up Short - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Bees Win Back to Back - Salt Lake Bees
- Garcia's Walk-Off Homer Gives Redbirds Series Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Memphis Spoils Iowa's Early Lead - Iowa Cubs
- Federowicz' Go-Ahead Home Run Wins It for Sounds - Nashville Sounds
- Dodgers Can't Catch Up to Express - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Blank Dodgers 2-0 - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (55-66) vs. Omaha Storm Chasers (52-71) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes vs. Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (57-66) vs Iowa Cubs (66-57) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 17, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Returning to Haunt An Old Friend - San Antonio Missions
- River Cats Provide the Fireworks Friday Night - Reno Aces
- Davis belts three homers as River Cats cruise to victory - Sacramento River Cats
- Isotopes Take Second in a Row from Aviators - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Grizzlies can't bear the cold, lose 8-1 to Rainiers - Fresno Grizzlies
- Rainiers Pile on Six in Seventh Inning to Take Second-Straight against Fresno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Six Bees Homers Doom Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Hermosillo Hits Three Homers in Bees Win - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville Sounds Stories
- Nashville Sounds Nominated for Prestigious Minor League Baseball Honor
- Sounds Win Season Finale on Walk-Off
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (65-72) vs. San Antonio Missions (80-59)
- Dillard Dazzles in Front of Sellout Crowd
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (64-72) vs. San Antonio Missions (80-58)