Memphis Spoils Iowa's Early Lead
MEMPHIS, TN - The Memphis Redbirds (58-66) scored six unanswered runs as they took an 8-6 walk-off victory over the Iowa Cubs (66-58), Saturday at AutoZone Park.
Iowa grabbed a convincing lead in the first as Albert Almora Jr. led off with a single and stole second to trigger the offense. Rehabbing Ben Zobrist cracked an RBI double to get Iowa on the board, before Daniel Descalso - also on a Major League Rehab Assignment - struck a home run for a 3-0 Iowa lead with no outs. Hits from Robel Garcia, Jim Adduci and P.J. Higgins later in the frame helped Iowa to two more runs.
Memphis took back a run on an Andrew Knizner sac fly in the first, and on a Max Schrock RBI double in the second, cutting the deficit. Both offenses would go quiet until the sixth.
Adduci broke the scoring drought in the sixth with a one-out home run - his 11th of the season. The Redbirds clapped right back with a run in the bottom of the inning as they also revived their offense. A three-run seventh, aided by an error, locked the game 6-6 and Memphis secured the comeback victory with an Adolis Garcia two-run, walk off homer.
Matt Swarmer narrowly missed a quality start as he allowed three earned runs through 5.2 innings. He walked one and struck out seven. Alex Wilson (L, 4-3) was tagged with the loss.
- Daniel Descalsco went 1-for-2 with a home run and two RBI in his first rehab game with Iowa. Ben Zobrist was 1-for-4 with a double and an RBI.
- Albert Almora Jr. went 2-for-4 with one run and one strikeout in his first game since being optioned to Iowa.
- Memphis cut Iowa's divisional lead to 8.0 with five head-to-head matchups remaining.
Iowa and Memphis finish the series with a 2:05 p.m. first pitch Sunday at AutoZone Park. The I-Cubs return to Principal Park Monday for a 7:08 p.m. start vs. San Antonio. For more information and tickets, visit www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 17, 2019
- Sounds Top Chasers 5-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Missions Snap Skid with 13-Inning Walk-Off Victory - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Fall in 13 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Chihuahuas' Rally Comes up Short - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Bees Win Back to Back - Salt Lake Bees
- Garcia's Walk-Off Homer Gives Redbirds Series Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Memphis Spoils Iowa's Early Lead - Iowa Cubs
- Federowicz' Go-Ahead Home Run Wins It for Sounds - Nashville Sounds
- Dodgers Can't Catch Up to Express - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Blank Dodgers 2-0 - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (55-66) vs. Omaha Storm Chasers (52-71) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes vs. Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (57-66) vs Iowa Cubs (66-57) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 17, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Returning to Haunt An Old Friend - San Antonio Missions
- River Cats Provide the Fireworks Friday Night - Reno Aces
- Davis belts three homers as River Cats cruise to victory - Sacramento River Cats
- Isotopes Take Second in a Row from Aviators - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Grizzlies can't bear the cold, lose 8-1 to Rainiers - Fresno Grizzlies
- Rainiers Pile on Six in Seventh Inning to Take Second-Straight against Fresno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Six Bees Homers Doom Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Hermosillo Hits Three Homers in Bees Win - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.