Missed Opportunities Doom TinCaps in Defeat
Fort Wayne, Ind. - The TinCaps had double-digit hits (11), but went 0-for-11 with runners in scoring position in a 7-1 loss to Lansing Lugnuts (Toronto Blue Jays) on Saturday night at Parkview Field.
For the first time in the series, Lansing (18-23) scored first, plating three runs via four hits in the second inning. Jake Brodt (two-run double) and Hunter Steinmetz (RBI single) drove home the runs.
The Lugnuts scored another run in the fifth. Luis De Los Santos one-hopped a double off of the left-center field wall leading off the inning, moved to third on a Reggie Pruitt single, and scored on a groundout by Gabriel Moreno.
Josh Winckowski thrived with the run support - Lansing's starter allowed just one run in seven innings of work while striking out six Fort Wayne (17-23) batters. The 20-year-old has now gone seven innings in three starts this season.
One of the biggest threats for the TinCaps to score off Winckowski came in the fifth. Luis Almanzar reached via an infield single down the third base line leading off the inning, and after a Nick Feight flyout, Lee Solomon doubled down the left field line to put two runners in scoring position. Yet, consecutive strikeouts by Xavier Edwards and Grant Little ended the threat.
Fort Wayne threatened again in the sixth inning. Justin Lopez and Dwanya Williams-Sutton each singled to lead off the inning, putting two on base with nobody out. Yet, a strikeout, fielder's choice, and lineout once against stranded two runners on base. The TinCaps would eventually leave nine on base in the game.
After Lansing scored two more runs in the top of the seventh, Fort Wayne finally scratched across a run in the bottom half of the frame. Solomon singled to right field with one out, moved to second via an Edwards single, advanced to third by way of a wild pitch, and scored on a Little sacrifice fly. Solomon, an Ohio native, finished the game 3-for-4 at the plate, his fifth multi-hit game of the campaign.
The Lugnuts completed the evening's scoring with a run in the eighth -Steinmetz doubled home a run, his second RBI of the game.
Sunday, May 19 vs. Lansing (1:05 p.m.)
-TinCaps Probable Starter: LHP Ramon Perez
-Lugnuts Probable Starter: TBA
-Watch: Comcast 81 & MiLB.TV
-Listen: ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 18, 2019
- Herrera Homers But Chiefs Fall Saturday - Peoria Chiefs
- When Loons Attack; Back-To-Back-To-Back - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Smash Two Home Runs to Beat Cubs 4-1 - South Bend Cubs
- Third Straight One-Run Game Goes to Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- LumberKings Thumped, Drop 4th Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- Snappers fall in a close one to Cougars - Beloit Snappers
- Missed Opportunities Doom TinCaps in Defeat - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Fourth Inning Flurry Guides Bandits to 6-2 Victory - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Tater Trio Lifts Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Kernels K.O. LumberKings, 8-2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Putting the Win in Winckowski - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Cruise to 11-3 Win over Captains - Lake County Captains
- Munroe's Home Run Lifts Dragons to 4-1 Win on Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Use Early Homers to Pull Away in 11-3 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Rattlers Rained Out in Burlington on Saturday - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Game Postponed - Burlington Bees
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 18 vs. Lansing (Game 40) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bees Staffer Presents Piece of Family History to Timber Rattler Player - Burlington Bees
- Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- Green & Gold Charity Softball Game Announces Participants for June 1 Game - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Bees Drop 14-9 Loss to Timber Rattlers - Burlington Bees
- Loons Enjoy Fifth in Win over 'Caps - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.