Putting the Win in Winckowski
FORT WAYNE, Ind. - Josh Winckowski scattered 10 hits in seven innings and the Lansing Lugnuts (18-23) snapped a franchise record ten-game road losing streak, 7-1, over the Fort Wayne TinCaps (17-23) on Saturday night at Parkview Field.
The Lugnuts had not won a game away from Cooley Law School Stadium since a 4-0 victory at Bowling Green on April 26th - but Winckowski (Win, 4-1), who had tossed seven scoreless innings in that game, was up for the challenge as stopper.
The 20-year-old right-hander gave up one hit in each of the first four innings and two hits in the fifth, sixth and seventh innings, but stiffened when it mattered, striking out six and holding the TinCaps to 0-for-11 with runners in scoring position. Fort Wayne's only run came on a Grant Little sacrifice fly in the seventh with the Lugnuts already leading by six runs.
The Lugnuts' offense was sparked by first baseman Jake Brodt, who lined a two-run double in the second inning to put the Nuts in the lead for good. Left fielder Hunter Steinmetz went 2-for-3 with a run scored, a walk, an RBI single and an RBI double, and third baseman Luis De Los Santos, who went 3-for-4 with two doubles, two runs scored and an RBI.
Relievers Joey Pulido and Cre Finfrock sewed up the win, pitching the eighth and ninth innings respectively.
Fort Wayne starter Angel Acevedo (Loss, 0-5) allowed four runs on six hits and one walk in five innings to suffer the defeat.
The Lugnuts go for a series split in the four-game set at 1:05 p.m. Sunday at Parkview Field. Neither team has announced its starting pitcher.
The Lansing Lugnuts return home on Monday, May 20th, opening an eight-game homestand with a Dollar Monday - $1 hot dogs, $1 popcorn, $1 ice cream sandwiches, $1 Miller High Life and $1 16-oz. fountain drinks! To live the Lug Life and purchase tickets, visit lansinglugnuts.com or call (517) 485-4500.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 18, 2019
- Herrera Homers But Chiefs Fall Saturday - Peoria Chiefs
- When Loons Attack; Back-To-Back-To-Back - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Smash Two Home Runs to Beat Cubs 4-1 - South Bend Cubs
- Third Straight One-Run Game Goes to Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- LumberKings Thumped, Drop 4th Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- Snappers fall in a close one to Cougars - Beloit Snappers
- Missed Opportunities Doom TinCaps in Defeat - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Fourth Inning Flurry Guides Bandits to 6-2 Victory - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Tater Trio Lifts Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Kernels K.O. LumberKings, 8-2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Putting the Win in Winckowski - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Cruise to 11-3 Win over Captains - Lake County Captains
- Munroe's Home Run Lifts Dragons to 4-1 Win on Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Use Early Homers to Pull Away in 11-3 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Rattlers Rained Out in Burlington on Saturday - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Game Postponed - Burlington Bees
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 18 vs. Lansing (Game 40) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bees Staffer Presents Piece of Family History to Timber Rattler Player - Burlington Bees
- Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- Green & Gold Charity Softball Game Announces Participants for June 1 Game - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Bees Drop 14-9 Loss to Timber Rattlers - Burlington Bees
- Loons Enjoy Fifth in Win over 'Caps - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.