Herrera Homers But Chiefs Fall Saturday
Peoria, IL - The Peoria Chiefs dropped the third game of a four-game series to the Quad Cities River Bandits 6-2 on Saturday night at Dozer Park. The loss drops the Chiefs to 18-22 on the season as they wrap-up their nine-game homestand Sunday at 2:05 p.m.
The Chiefs opened the scoring early in the bottom of the first against River Bandits starter R.J. Freure. With two outs, Ivan Herrera blasted a solo homerun, his fourth of the season to put the Chiefs ahead 1-0.
The River Bandits took the lead in the top of the fourth against Chiefs starter Kyle Leahy. Quad Cities took the lead on a Trey Dawson two-run homerun with two outs and they added four more runs for a 6-1 lead.
The Chiefs got one back in the bottom of the eighth on an unearned run. Delvin Perez walked with one out and moved to third on a two-base error with Nolan Groman reaching second. Perez scored on a fielders' choice off the bat of Herrera but the Chiefs couldn't get any closer than 6-2.
Kyle Leahy (1-4) took the loss, pitching 3 2/3 innings while allowing five runs on five hits with four walks and two strikeouts. Franyel Casadilla pitched 3 1/3 innings, allowing one run on four hits with one walk and three strikeouts. Freddy Pacheco pitched two shutout and hitless innings, walking four and striking out six.
The Chiefs conclude their nine-game homestand Sunday at 2:05 p.m. against the Quad Cities River Bandits. Promotions can be found on the team website or social media accounts. Peoria will start RH Cole Aker (0-2, 8.06) against Quad Cities RH Matt Ruppenthal (2-0, 1.14). The broadcast can be heard, starting with the Pre-Game Show at 6:20 p.m. on the Peoria Chiefs Tune-In Page, which is free and also has a free app for smartphones and tablets.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 18, 2019
- Herrera Homers But Chiefs Fall Saturday - Peoria Chiefs
- When Loons Attack; Back-To-Back-To-Back - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Smash Two Home Runs to Beat Cubs 4-1 - South Bend Cubs
- Third Straight One-Run Game Goes to Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- LumberKings Thumped, Drop 4th Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- Snappers fall in a close one to Cougars - Beloit Snappers
- Missed Opportunities Doom TinCaps in Defeat - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Fourth Inning Flurry Guides Bandits to 6-2 Victory - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Tater Trio Lifts Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Kernels K.O. LumberKings, 8-2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Putting the Win in Winckowski - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Cruise to 11-3 Win over Captains - Lake County Captains
- Munroe's Home Run Lifts Dragons to 4-1 Win on Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Use Early Homers to Pull Away in 11-3 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Rattlers Rained Out in Burlington on Saturday - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Game Postponed - Burlington Bees
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 18 vs. Lansing (Game 40) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bees Staffer Presents Piece of Family History to Timber Rattler Player - Burlington Bees
- Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- Green & Gold Charity Softball Game Announces Participants for June 1 Game - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Bees Drop 14-9 Loss to Timber Rattlers - Burlington Bees
- Loons Enjoy Fifth in Win over 'Caps - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Peoria Chiefs Stories
- Chiefs Single Game Tickets Go on Sale March 16
- Chiefs Announce 2020 Bobble Heads and Theme Ticket Packages
- Chiefs Announce 2020 Fireworks Dates
- Chiefs Scholarship Applications Open Until March 4
- Almonte Returns as Chiefs Manager in 2020; Gabella & Martin Join Staff