Fourth Inning Flurry Guides Bandits to 6-2 Victory
Peoria, IL- One big inning was the deciding factor in the first two games of the Quad Cities River Bandits weekend series against the Peoria Chiefs. That theme continued in the third game on Saturday night at Dozer Park. A six-run fourth inning allowed the River Bandits to erase an early deficit and beat the Chiefs 6-2.
Peoria (18-22) didn't waste much time in taking an early lead, scoring their first run in the bottom of the first inning. With two outs, catcher Ivan Herrera lined a home run that just cleared the top of the left field wall. The long ball was his fourth of the season. From that point forward, Freure did not surrender another run, lasting 5.0 innings and securing his second victory of the season.
Quad Cities (25-13) did all of their damage with two outs in the fourth inning as seven consecutive hitters reached base safely. Jonathan Lacroix began the surge with a walk and was on base when Trey Dawson's two-run home run to left gave the River Bandits a 2-1 lead. Ross Adolph and Austin Dennis collected back-to-back doubles to plate another run and make it 3-1. With his first hit in a River Bandits uniform, Ramiro Rodriguez added another run to the board. The final damage was done by Alex McKenna with a two-run double over the head of right fielder Jhon Torres that widened the gap to 6-1.
Joey Gonzalez replaced Freure in the sixth and worked the final 4.0 innings on the mound. He allowed just an unearned run in the eighth when Dennis couldn't haul in Nolan Gorman's deep fly ball to left center. The two-base error led to an RBI groundout to short by Herrera which brought in the Chiefs final run.
Dennis, Dawson and Jeremy Pena each finished the game with two hits. Rodriguez reached base three times with a single and two walks.
The River Bandits and Chiefs will finish the weekend series on Sunday afternoon at 2:05 p.m. The River Bandits will have RHP Matt Ruppenthal (2-0, 1.14) on the mound in a meeting with Peoria RHP Cole Aker (0-2, 8.06).
All River Bandits games are broadcast on 1170 K-BOB and TuneIn Radio. Home games are also available with video on MiLB.TV.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 18, 2019
- Herrera Homers But Chiefs Fall Saturday - Peoria Chiefs
- When Loons Attack; Back-To-Back-To-Back - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Smash Two Home Runs to Beat Cubs 4-1 - South Bend Cubs
- Third Straight One-Run Game Goes to Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- LumberKings Thumped, Drop 4th Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- Snappers fall in a close one to Cougars - Beloit Snappers
- Missed Opportunities Doom TinCaps in Defeat - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Fourth Inning Flurry Guides Bandits to 6-2 Victory - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Tater Trio Lifts Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Kernels K.O. LumberKings, 8-2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Putting the Win in Winckowski - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Cruise to 11-3 Win over Captains - Lake County Captains
- Munroe's Home Run Lifts Dragons to 4-1 Win on Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Use Early Homers to Pull Away in 11-3 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Rattlers Rained Out in Burlington on Saturday - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Game Postponed - Burlington Bees
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 18 vs. Lansing (Game 40) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bees Staffer Presents Piece of Family History to Timber Rattler Player - Burlington Bees
- Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- Green & Gold Charity Softball Game Announces Participants for June 1 Game - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Bees Drop 14-9 Loss to Timber Rattlers - Burlington Bees
- Loons Enjoy Fifth in Win over 'Caps - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Quad Cities River Bandits Stories
- River Bandits/Genesis PPE Drive at Modern Woodmen Park
- Bandits Now Accepting Valentine's Day Dinner Reservations
- River Bandits to Host Charity Hot Stove Dinner January 29th
- River Bandits Support Save Minor League Baseball Task Force
- Kleinhans-Schulz Hired as Bandits Assistant GM