Bees Drop 14-9 Loss to Timber Rattlers
The normally steady Burlington relievers were anything but Friday night, giving up seven runs in the eighth inning and six in the ninth, as the Bees fell to Wisconsin 14-9 to even the four game series at two.
Burlington's Cristopher Molina was solid for five innings in his fifth start of the season. He allowed one run on three hits, walked two and struck out six. It was 9-1 Bees when he left the game for reliever Cole Duensing.
The Bees opened the scoring in the bottom of the first when, with two outs, Nonie Williams was hit by a pitch. Spencer Griffin, who was three for four in this one drove him home with a double.
Burlington added two more runs in the bottom of the second. Alexis Olmeda started the inning with a double. He moved to third on a wild pitch. With one out, Tim Millard was hit by a pitch to make it first and third. Another wild pitch plated Olmeda, with Millard moving up as well. He went to third on a Kevin Arias liner to right, then scored on pitcher Reese Olson's third wild pitch of the inning.
Four more runs were added to the Bees line in the third inning. Kevin Maitan singled to center. Nonie Williams singled to center as well and Maitan, who was running on the pitch went to third. Williams stole second. Wisconsin catcher David Fry mishandled the pitch and Maitan scored on the passed ball. Griffin walked. After another out, Olmeda walked. Justin Jones joined the parade with a run scoring single to left. Millard reached on a fielding error by Timber Rattlers shortstop Brice Turang. When the dust cleared, Griffin and Olmeda had scored.
The Bees added runs in the fourth and fifth. The lead looked comfortable, until it wasn't.
Wisconsin rapped out 10 hits, walked 7 times and scored 14 runs over the next four innings.
Griffin was a home run shy of the cycle. He is seven for his last fourteen at bats. Kevin Arias blasted his first career home run in the fifth.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 18, 2019
- Herrera Homers But Chiefs Fall Saturday - Peoria Chiefs
- When Loons Attack; Back-To-Back-To-Back - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Smash Two Home Runs to Beat Cubs 4-1 - South Bend Cubs
- Third Straight One-Run Game Goes to Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- LumberKings Thumped, Drop 4th Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- Snappers fall in a close one to Cougars - Beloit Snappers
- Missed Opportunities Doom TinCaps in Defeat - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Fourth Inning Flurry Guides Bandits to 6-2 Victory - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Tater Trio Lifts Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Kernels K.O. LumberKings, 8-2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Putting the Win in Winckowski - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Cruise to 11-3 Win over Captains - Lake County Captains
- Munroe's Home Run Lifts Dragons to 4-1 Win on Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Use Early Homers to Pull Away in 11-3 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Rattlers Rained Out in Burlington on Saturday - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Game Postponed - Burlington Bees
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 18 vs. Lansing (Game 40) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bees Staffer Presents Piece of Family History to Timber Rattler Player - Burlington Bees
- Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- Green & Gold Charity Softball Game Announces Participants for June 1 Game - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Bees Drop 14-9 Loss to Timber Rattlers - Burlington Bees
- Loons Enjoy Fifth in Win over 'Caps - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.